308 short for Russian Boar

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

Re: 308 short for Russian Boar

Post by hunter with MS »

The place stated pure . This is in a preserve where they could be . I hunted a place years ago that had pure when I was shooting an Exomax .
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

paulaboutform wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:05 pm
Are you hunting a true blood Russian Boar or a hog? I've hunted hogs in Texas and parts of Alberta but mostly pure blood Russian Boars from the Culden line. Hogs and Russians may look very similar but are built very differently.
Edit to add: I've blasted through large sows and young Russians up to 200lbs with an Exomax Matrix 380 like they were made of smoke. However, about 4 years ago, I shot a 330lbs Russian boar with a custom Matrix 420 shooting a slugged 600gr arrow, 125gr Toxic broadhead, at 12 yards away. It was heart shot, hit no bones, and the fletch was stuck in the opposing side. The shield on the bigger boars is like trying to shoot through a half inch rubber truck mat. My suggestion is to keep shots inside of 25 yards and use a deep penetrating broadhead. Take broadside shots, tight behind the front leg, aiming below the midline. The ideal shot is the lower third of the body, tight behind the shoulder, on a very slightly quartering away boar. That's been my experience.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I wish someone would do a penetration test with say. 300-330 -vs 380 and above
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Ferguson Outfitters wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:53 pm
I wish someone would do a penetration test with say. 300-330 -vs 380 and above
I would also love to see that test...and with different weight arrows from 350gr, 400gr, 450gr., etc....as well as various distances. Possibly 10 yard incraments from 10 to 70 yards.
:eusa-think: I think this has Sew (Steve's) name all over it. :eusa-popcorn:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I’ve killed hogs with target points, rayzor VPA small game thumpers, bolt cutters and customs.

Truth be told the dang TP’s kill just as good. I shot one hog slam through the lungs with this custom thumper and it tore a 45 cal hole through it and it dropped. I fantasize about keeping my shots close but I’ve taken them waaaaay out. I just don’t think any speed over 330 has any advantage in reality. It really doesn’t at deer ranges either because a wary and reactive deer can jump or crouch right at 40 yards regardless of the speed. I don’t think the arrow distance difference between the two compensate for the speed of sound.

I also have no passthrough or penatration changes betwixed a 100gr or 150gr head

When I shoot a hog of any size these days I only focus on one thing, getting my bolt back. Thus I shoot the the back of the lungs and listen for the crash. Pick up my bolt, snap a pic, cut off the ear and tail if required, and go home. If they die too close to my prime spot I slice them open so the other hogs eat them quick.