Weight or velocity?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

XB I GO

Weight or velocity?

Post by XB I GO »

Would you rather have 25 grain more broadhead or 25 more FPS? I am trying to decide what to use for hunting if I make a change.
BrotherRon

Re: Weight or velocity?

Post by BrotherRon »

Depends on what you are currently using...
I prefer a heavier arrow over a few fps.
My hunting arrows weigh in at 426 grain when tipped with a 125 grain broad head.
I took the longest archery shot I have ever taken last fall and was a complete pass through at 42 yards with my matrix 310.
She was relaxed and standing broad side eating and never flinched until the arrow had already done it's job.
I only took the shot because she was in an open field and there were no trees or branches within 20 yards of her.
Most older bucks would be on high alert in her situation and I would not have tried the shot. ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I started out with 150gr heads and went to 100gr not because I needed the extra fps but because the change caused my Grizzly to match the Nikon bolt ballistic reticle exactly. I haven’t noticed a difference in penetration between the two boltcutters. Even at ranges 60-70 yards I still get many passthroughs on big hogs.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I prefer a heavy stiff bolt with a heavy broadhead some times you hit a shoulder blade say on the exit side and I want to pass through it.
But if you are practicing with your broad heads and getting good groups with the current set up I would stick with it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

XB I GO wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:28 pm
Would you rather have 25 grain more broadhead or 25 more FPS? I am trying to decide what to use for hunting if I make a change.
Well if I was below 400 on arrow weight, I would prefer the extra 25 grns. If I was above 400 grns I'd go for the extra 25 fps.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

There isn't a whole lot of difference in momentum or velocity between the 2 weights of broadhead.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Boo wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:32 am
There isn't a whole lot of difference in momentum or velocity between the 2 weights of broadhead.
To tag on to this..............using a Micro at rated speed of 335fps for a 350 grain arrow, and losing 1fps for every 3 grains of weight..............

400gr arrow will go 318 fps and have 0.564 slug of momentum
425gr arrow will go 310 fps and have 0.584 slug of momentum

Momentum of 0.6 will go through about anything you can think of so for the 8fps, I'd go with the heavier arrow because as was mentioned....your goal is always a complete pass through and sometimes you hit stuff your not necessarily aiming for (ie shoulder on the far side).

Many guys chase speed because they are looking for a flat shooting arrow.....but trajectory is heavily affected by FOC as well.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><