Hi! New Here

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TrevO

Hi! New Here

Post by TrevO »

Just wanted to say hi and ask a question. I'm a new crossbow owner. I just got a G340. I own a vertical compound that I've only shot targets with. This year will be my first time hunting and I'm struggling with the broadhead weight to use with the bolts. I've got 6 of the diablos with 100 grain field points so 350 grain total which is the minimum for the crossbow and what I've been shooting targets with. Should I stick with 100 grain for the broadhead or go heavier? I'll just be going for turkey and white tails.
Thanks
mr meat

Re: Hi! New Here

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum. I like 380 to 400 grains for total weight
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
exocet200hunter

Post by exocet200hunter »

Welcome to the forum ! I like 125grn personally, so get some 125 field tips sight in and use 125grn broadheads and fine tune your sight in.
Best of luck.

- Matt
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :wave:
As for point weight, for broadheads and field points, that's determined by your overall setup. The Diablos come with light aluminum inserts and are meant to be used with 150gr points to achieve the higher FOC balance required for optimal accuracy. You can safely shoot the 100gr points but your accuracy will be diminished vs using a heavier setup. Most here shoot Black Eagle Zombies or Executioners with either 92gr or 110gr brass front inserts and 100gr or 125gr points. The thing is, with recurve limb crossbows, you need a higher FOC (front of center) balance to achieve optimal results. Good luck with your new bow, enjoy! :eusa-dance:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

paulaboutform wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:52 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum. :wave:
As for point weight, for broadheads and field points, that's determined by your overall setup. The Diablos come with light aluminum inserts and are meant to be used with 150gr points to achieve the higher FOC balance required for optimal accuracy. You can safely shoot the 100gr points but your accuracy will be diminished vs using a heavier setup. Most here shoot Black Eagle Zombies or Executioners with either 92gr or 110gr brass front inserts and 100gr or 125gr points. The thing is, with recurve limb crossbows, you need a higher FOC (front of center) balance to achieve optimal results. Good luck with your new bow, enjoy! :eusa-dance:

Paul
Well put Paul, my thoughts as well.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Welcome I also have the G340 I use 100 grain broadheads . Last fall I shot a big doe with it using 100 grain Excalibur Xact complete pass thru she went 20 to 30 yards and crashed with this xbow I don't see any reason to go to 125 or 150 grain . But you ask say 100 People and you will get at least 50 different answers . When I practice it drives the arrow deep enough into the target also hits plenty hard . I also practice with the setup I will be hunting with using the broadhead .
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I don't know I keep hearing all the you need a higher FOC but I shot 100 grain heads with regular inserts and it was accurate enough. When I put in heavy inserts and uped the broadhead weight my accuracy when to crap. I'm now shooting 125 with light inserts and I'm close to with the hundred grain head !
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

Welcome aboard, theres a lot of experience and knowledge on this site. As for field tips and broad heads I’m partial to 125 grain that weight seems to fly best out of my 405 I’ve tried 100 and 150 grains and the 125s just seem what works the best for me. As for broad heads I’ve tried several kinds and the G5 Montecs 125s are very accurate for me. I just recently acquired some G5 125 Deadmeat expandables from a friend because he switched to 100 grain Deadmeats so I’m going to be trying these out soon. As for your 340 I think you’ll be good with either choice the 100s or the 125s.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
TrevO

Post by TrevO »

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to give 125 a try and see how they work out. Just picked up some g5 strikers to test out tomorrow
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

A Big welcome to you!
You've come to the right place with all your questions. The folks here know their stuff.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers