New broadhead target. Arrows stuck.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Montana Mark

New broadhead target. Arrows stuck.

Post by Montana Mark »

Just got a broadhead target so I can test the broadheads before spring bear season. Got a Mofoam Chunk layered foam target. Now my arrows are stuck. Sprayed silicon lube beside the stuck arrows and letting it soak in. Coated an arrow with lube and shot into the target at 20 yards and just buried it deeper. Can’t get them out. I’ll have to get a tool to grip the arrows. How do you guys get difficult arrows out of the target?
Matrix Sapphire 325 (forward riser)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #1)
Matrix Grizzly (for son #2)
MTBighorn

Re: New broadhead target. Arrows stuck.

Post by MTBighorn »

I use a feed bag full of old rags with the top open. The rags will stop the broadheads just fine and then you just push the arrow point threw the open bag top and carefully lift the clothes off of the broadhead, Then just pull the arrow forward out the top of the bag ... Very easy and basically a free target. Stay away from denim in your rag-bag if used for broadheads.

Acetone will remove the decals from your arrows and your target may work better for you.

Your target super-heated the decals on your arrows and now they are fused together as one...the only way I know get the arrows out is the break the bond by getting the arrow to move... I just grabbed the target and wacked it on the ground arrow first to break it loose. Then build a rag bag and add your foam target as a stand or backer for missed shots....
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

If its still cool out and your target is made of foam when the arrow penetrates the heat will melt the foam and cause it to stick to the shaft then cool and basically weld the shaft into the target could be what is happenning to you. Some rub soap on the arrows to make them easier to pull.
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

I’ll try a block of wood on the nock and a tap with a hammer to break the weld. Got an arrow gripper also.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Montana Mark wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:39 pm
I’ll try a block of wood on the nock and a tap with a hammer to break the weld. Got an arrow gripper also.
Best thing you could do Mark, is remove the arrow graphics. I had the same problem till I removed them with acetone.
Hank
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

Arrow gripper wouldn’t budge arrows. Wood block and a few taps with the hammer and they came out covered with melted plastic. Easy to scrape off. Might just use the foam block for sighting broadheads. (Btw, Boltcutters aren’t grouping like field points—maybe test multiple arrows to find the one (just need one) that flies the best.)

My regular target is a bag target stuffed tightly into a heavy cardboard box with “welcome mats” shoved on both sides. Filled the edges with spray foam and wrapped the whole box multiple times with black duct tape. Left the bag target handle hanging out the top. Put lots of 2” squares of different color duct tape on all sides for targets. When it gets covered with holes, I wrap more duct tape and put more squares on it. (Duct tape gums up the arrows but that looks no uglier than the zombie slayer logo.)
Last edited by Montana Mark on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Montana Mark wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:51 pm
Arrow gripper wouldn’t budge arrows. Wood block and a few taps with the hammer and they came out covered with melted plastic. Easy to scrape off. Might just use the foam block for sighting broadheads. (Btw, Boltcutters aren’t grouping like field points—maybe test multiple arrows to find the one (just need one) that flies the best.) My regular target is a bag target stuffed tightly into a heavy cardboard box with “welcome mats” shoved on both sides. Filled the edges with spray foam and wrapped the whole box multiple times with black duct tape. Left the bag target handle hanging out the top. Put lots of 2” squares of different color duct tape on all sides for targets. When it gets covered with holes, I wrap more duct tape and put more squares on it. (Duct tape gums up the arrows but that looks no uglier than the zombie slayer logo.)
A quick wipe with acetone will get the tape residue off quickly and easily without harming the shaft.
Hank
Montana Mark

Post by Montana Mark »

You’re right. Cleaning off the melted plastic and removing the duct tape residue smoothed out my arrows so I can use the block target without getting them stuck (still need the arrow grabber for the block).

Update on the Boltcutters: I had a blobs of glue on an arrow from repairing the fletchings. Scraped it smooth. The Boltcutters are grouping great—just 1/2-1” low (not a big deal to me). Was just using 2 broadheads to test them. Marked them both with a “T” (for target and turkey).
Last edited by Montana Mark on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I shoot my broadheads into play sand , I made a covered sand pile and have dedicated practice heads can remove the bolts with 2 fingers wipe the bolt with a rag and you are good to go.
Braodheads are about all I practice with unless I go to a 3d shoot then I carry a bar of unscented hunters bar soap that I rub on the bolt before every shot it helps a lot on removal.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Normous

Post by Normous »

One drop on your tip makes arrow removal much, much easier.
Copy/paste:

http://www.scorpionvenom-archery.com/target-arrow-release-fluid/
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Years ago when I shot a lot of 3d I carried a small 1/2" tube capped at both ends with a plastic top and an x cut into it. We filled the tube with some foam and silicone. Before each shot just dip arrow in it and shoot . Some wolud carry a bar of Irish spring and rub their arrow with it smelled nice and clean.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I use my broadhead target for broadheads only and my bag target for field points only. Both remove easily
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Ya Sighting in sucks you need a bag for field tips, a broad target for broadheads and a pillow for head choppers lol :crazy: :D
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Always have a Rubber Hammer on standby dedicated for this problem .
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

colouredchameleon wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:21 am
Always have a Rubber Hammer on standby dedicated for this problem .
This. Just remember, tappy tap tap, not whack, whack whack. :thumbup:
Hank