OT \ Ticks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grouse

OT \ Ticks

Post by grouse »

There seems to be a lot more ticks than usual this spring (at least where I have been). I use repellent, but every time I walk through the woods on my farm I find ticks on me afterwards, sometimes attached, a day or two later. When I'm back home in the suburbs and run my dogs through the open areas behind my house, I often find ticks crawling on me when I come home. My dogs (both German shorthaired pointers) wear Soresto collars and I regularly find dead and living ticks on them (living ticks only shortly after they've been out in the field, the collars seem to work well).
Has anyone else noticed an increase in ticks this year, or is this just a local situation?
axiom
350 SE
hunter with MS

Re: OT \ Ticks

Post by hunter with MS »

Yes I have according to the powers to be there are more ticks this year . Which in turn means more Lyme disease and other tick bourne Illnesses . I go out and hunt for awhile a come in with ticks all over my clothes so off they go and in the washer and me in the shower even then I find them on me some digging in some not . I use permethrin on my clothes and they still cross over it . I have had Lyme several times .
janesy

Post by janesy »

Just listened to a study yesterday. In Ontario, Black Legged Ticks, the kind that carry Lime around here, are on a rise, and so is the frequency that they are finding the disease and the lesser more common infection(which I cannot recall the name) in the ticks tested. Up 20% if I remember correctly. Which is huge given the relatively low current bite to transfer ratio. Not down playing Lime Disease at all, just that most tick bites go unnoticed, and don't reach the point of transfer.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Where I live there are a lot of them I was bitten and had to take some meds for them . I spray all of my clothes and wear some kind of tight undies made for bugs. that seems to be doing the trick.
W.M.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

It's looking like they're going to be crazy in Georgia this year. If you stand in one place to long you may get them but if you brush up against any vegetation you will definitely get them on you. :crazy: :thumbdown:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

This is why I only hunt the first 2 weeks of Turkey season that and the walleye fishing is sensational around here now! Lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup there be no lack of them. They glide off trees here n land on you while you walk thru the woods. I can spray most everything on my clothin n myself. Don't stop them none !
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have been using Elimitick underwear, hats, face masks, and outer wear for several years now, and the stuff works! Ticks jump right off the stuff and skeeters hate it too. It is sold by Game Hide, and I highly recommend it. I will not hunt early fall, or spring without it!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Lots and lots a permetherin purchased this year ...l put that $hit on everthing.That on clothes and gear. Deep woods off on my skin. O ticks on me . No reason not to hunt or fish if you properly spray . I live in a high density tick area I'm not gonna let the little ba$$tards ruin my Turkey or anything season.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

Lots of ticks here in Missouri. Just spent the day in the woods checking cameras and putting out trophy rocks. So far I have found none on me but they were on my backpack. I use a combo of natural tick spray and Cabelas tick suit.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I used to get a bunch of ticks on me every spring and I usually travel to a half dozen states/provinces minimum in the spring chasing toms but since I started using the permetherin spray I have only ever found one tick on me and that was at the end of the season and I'm sure the spray was wearing off.
artifact

Post by artifact »

I also use permethrin treated clothing for archery and spring gobbler. I pay close attention to areas where they can enter and spray both the inside and outside of edges of hats, gloves, cuffs, collars, waist lime, overlap for buttons, tops of socks, boots, etc.. So far I have never had a tick on me while wearing the treated clothing, different story when I'm working around the property while wearing untreated clothing.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Living in the worst zones for lyme disease in Quebec one can not be too cautious.
Maybe I go overboard but after reading all of those who are suffering from lyme disease here in the forum this is what I been doing.
First layer RynoSkin
Second layer self treated permethrin( twice a year) pants and shirts and if colder weather coat.
Finally Elimitick socks, outer pants, hoodie, gloves and face mask.
And after each outing I place in dryer then wash and re-dry.
So far so good.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers