Looking for insight - New to xbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

???

Looking for insight - New to xbow

Post by ??? »

I'm on the market for a crossbow. I keep upselling and down selling myself. I will be using it for whitetail deer at sub 30 yards from a ground blind (and my son when he gets older). My thinking starts off with the 355 or the suppressor so I don't have to install anything later on. But I like the idea of being able to break down the 360 td. And if I go that route, should I do the pro so I have sound suppression and better trigger...

No matter the choice, I think I will pick up the charger crank.

My personal thought is the 360 td pro, but is the extra $400 worth it. (less with upgrades)

Thanks for any insight!
BrotherRon

Re: Looking for insight - New to xbow

Post by BrotherRon »

Any of the Excalibur crossbows (past or present models) will work excellent for most white tail hunting.
The smaller ones do have their advantages hunting from ground blinds, but I have hunted from tree stands, ground blinds, and enclosed blinds without any problem using my Matrix 310. It is deadly accurate, easy to cock without a crank, and I have never had a deer even so much as flinch before the arrow had done it's job. 99.9% of my shots are 18 - 30 yards with the only exception being a shot last fall which was a complete pass through at 42 yards on a doe that was feeding in a field.
Which ever you choose I'm sure you will be happy with it. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I've killed lots of deer and some hogs, bear and bison with my Micro 335. I have that and a custom Micro suppressor, and actually like the 335 a bit better. But in fairness the supressor is newer and I'm not as used to it. It's just a tad smaller and a bit harder to hand cock. I think the crank is well worth it. I have hardware on both bows so I can swap the crank back and forth easily. For hunting it's not that big of a deal, but you could recock the bow in the blind easily with one. But where the crank shines IMO is in the consistency you get when cocking. This helps accuracy.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

My neighbor loves his micro 335. I have shot it and it feels great; easy to cock with the rope cocker too. For me my BD380 will be going to the woods with me this year. It shoots great and is easy to cock back. But any Excalibur xbow you choose will serve you well. If you are able to shoot one before you buy that would help you narrow it down to what feels right for you. Good luck.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

PublicLandHunter1 wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 12:25 pm
My neighbor loves his micro 335. I have shot it and it feels great; easy to cock with the rope cocker too. For me my BD380 will be going to the woods with me this year. It shoots great and is easy to cock back. But any Excalibur xbow you choose will serve you well. If you are able to shoot one before you buy that would help you narrow it down to what feels right for you. Good luck.
X2
Shouldering the crossbow you want is important if possible.
If the shoe doesn't fit right it will be uncomfortable! ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

how much do you want the Take-Down feature? When will you actually use it? I like the feature - it is cool. Every time we travel we just take the bolts out of the front and take the riser off. It takes about a minute. Then the whole crossbow goes in a small take-down gun case. When we get where we are going we put the bolts back in. The sight-in stays the same. If you are somewhere that your crank doesn't work for any reason you have to 1. be able to hand cock it and 2. have a rope cocker with you. I don't know if a crank can fail but it could accidentally be left behind, run over, ate by the dog, whatever. I would rather use the $400 to get the best accessories and bolts or put it towards the price of the hunt. You could even buy a back-up crossbow for that much. You didn't say how old your son is. My Dad doesn't want me to be able to cock the bow myself yet. This way I can only use it when he knows about it and if I shoot, same thing he knows about it. With the crank I can do it but it is awkward for me still. Using the 4X4 Rope Cocker I can now cock an Axiom by myself. I still can't quite cock a Matrix 380. We hunt deer in a spot where there is only a 20 yard window. We do hunt other stuff but still don't shoot past 30 yards. The 305 FPS list crossbow has been 100% one shot kill with quick recovery on several dozen animals. The Matrix 380 is just easier to carry and fits in the ground blind a little better. You really will be happy with any one as long as you are okay with the weight and width. If money was no object, I like the 360TD for all the features and the size and weight. Since Dad is paying, I'm fine with the Matrix 380. It doesn't "hunt" any different than the 360TD.
???

Post by ??? »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The whole want vs. need dilemma. I'll probably go for the 355 when it comes on sale again. I can always get some Dr. Stirrup addons later. As XB I GO said the bow does come apart with just bolts anyways. But we will see what deals come along.
drywallerdave1

Post by drywallerdave1 »

All I know is the new pro trigger is like night to day it’s so much better. Like shooting a different bow. I upgraded to a pro tigger for my bulldog 400. It’s now a Pamela Anderson in her prime. I love it !!! I’m
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

??? wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 11:56 am
Thanks for the feedback everyone. The whole want vs. need dilemma. I'll probably go for the 355 when it comes on sale again. I can always get some Dr. Stirrup addons later. As XB I GO said the bow does come apart with just bolts anyways. But we will see what deals come along.
If you’re in Canada and you decide on the micro 355 Cabelas have had their exclusive 355 package on sale twice in the last 2 months it’s a great deal that includes a C2 crank, soft case, extra string, and the stringer. Plus it has all the quiver 4 bolts/w field points. Sale price $999.99. The micro 355 WITHOUT the extras they sell for $1099.99
Easy decision for me