OT - rant about shipping costs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

OT - rant about shipping costs

Post by wabi »

I recently announced I would be producing a few of my deer calls for sale this year.
Response has been very complimentary and positive and I am always happy to hear such comments.
I have an order of supplies arriving today and will soon have 8 calls finished (I finished the call bodies and am waiting on the materials to fit/tune the reeds which should be done by the weekend). I also have more material in the order to make about a dozen more calls, but it will be a few weeks before any of those are ready to offer for sale.

I checked the USPS website this morning to see what it was going to cost to ship a call to Canada.
I was SHOCKED to say the least! :shock:
Today's prices are (in US dollars) $26.85 for priority (insured) and $17.25 for first class (uninsured, and the buyer would have to take the risk of it being damaged or lost).
I could ship up to 3 calls for that price, but then the recipient would be looking at a total value subject to duties/fees if I'm reading correctly.

It looks like those members living north of the border are not going to be buying any of my calls again this year unless someone can suggest a way to get them shipped more economically, or you have access to a PO box in the US.
wabi
Boo

Re: OT - rant about shipping costs

Post by Boo »

Mike, ship mine first class. I will assume the risk.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Ya sucks for sure I'm lucky I have a buddy in Michigan I can ship stuff too. I wanted to get a turkey hunting book that cost $25 but it was almost 60 dollars in shipping fees. I had it shipped to my buddies place in Mi free shipping !
janesy

Post by janesy »

We are used to it
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Boo

Post by Boo »

When BEA ships to their dealers in the US, shipping is NC. Because shipping to Canada is so expensive, I end up paying. Like Chris says, we're used to it.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Order something on Ebay from China and it's a good chance it"s "shipping included". Takes five weeks though to arrive.

I wonder where the high price is coming from in crossing the Canada/US border. Canada Post? Or USPS?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I would absolutely avoid using UPS or FedEx or any other couriers because the costs incurred with brokerage fees are outrageous. Even though USPS can be expensive it's a far better option.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I just sent a package to Canada it was less than a pound . 17.25 I didn't think that was to bad.if you have a good product they will pay to have it shipped. Like Paul said you have to wait a long time if shipped from China.
W.M.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

I’m one of the lucky ones living in Canada. I live 65 miles from the boarder of Maine. I’d rather drive down to Maine pay my Canadian sales tax at the boarder crossing than pay UPS BROKERAGE FEES! I end up paying the same but enjoy a lovely day with the Mrs. and have a lovely meal.
Several times I’ve purchased items on Amazon.ca being shipped from the US and did not have to pay brokerage fees. Worth a look. To the original poster look into sell your calls in Canada on Amazon.ca.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Stepnoutnb wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:49 pm
I’m one of the lucky ones living in Canada. I live 65 miles from the boarder of Maine. I’d rather drive down to Maine pay my Canadian sales tax at the boarder crossing than pay UPS BROKERAGE FEES! I end up paying the same but enjoy a lovely day with the Mrs. and have a lovely meal.
Several times I’ve purchased items on Amazon.ca being shipped from the US and did not have to pay brokerage fees. Worth a look. To the original poster look into sell your calls in Canada on Amazon.ca.
Yep living in a Border town has its advantages! I can be in downtown Detroit in 25min on a good day! :)

I have some good connections in Michigan as well. They will order stuff for me then I will pay them cash upon pickup! UPS is by far the worst carrier to use. They can charge you whatever they want for brokerage!!!!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I can be in downtown philly and get a cheese steak in 25 minutes and downtown Trenton for a genuine Italian tomato pie in 15 ...but l feel unsafe in Trenton because l cant take my carry to communistic NJ.. BACK TO THE SUBJECT. Yes l was shocked at the postage to ship my little trigger box to boo. ....But it was so worth it l love boo and my boo trigger. SHIPPING PRICES ARE CRAZY.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

If you look at the USPS internation export ISC locations it makes sense. The mail does not go straight to it's origin, depending on your location it can travel a fair distance. For instance, if you are in the UP, and try to mail to Canada, it doesn't cross at Sault Ste. Marie, it goes back down to Detroit and crosses there.

Oddly enough, because of the route, it is cheaper to ship something North from Florida that it is the ship from the central states. As I understand it a lot of the stuff from the central states goes down through Miami or Tampa ISC to be exported. Which I'm fine with, as the Northern states it crosses at the Detroit ICS, where it is often held for days/weeks on end with no updates.

Which is also frustrating if you track a parcel via USPS it show every scan they make, if your package goes to NY and then the next morning scans at Tampa before being cleared, then it goes dark for days as it's flying around in a box. CP does not register every little scan only recieved and depart from major sorting facilities before being processed on that day for delivery.

So ya, we are used to it
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme