Bulldog 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bigbowman

Bulldog 380

Post by bigbowman »

Well took my bow out this morning for a few shots. First shot, went through my pre-shot routine and then I pulled the trigger. Pop bang and boom! The arrow flew about 10 yds and after freaking out, I calmed down then I inspected and thought about what had just happened? First thing I noticed was that the string was missing! Upon further inspection I noticed the right limb tip was missing! Definitely was NOT a partial or complete dry-fire! I always make sure the arrow is properly seated before I shoot my loaded bows! The only thing I could figure out is that the limb tip blew apart on the shot which cut the string which went flying out into the field of weeds! Looked most of the day and just couldn’t find the string. Well shoot! I called Excalibur customer service and immediately talked to Mike in the claims department. What a nice guy and a pleasure to do business with! I emailed him my information and pictures of the bow. Within 10 minutes I received an email stating that my new parts are being shipped to me asap! Now that’s outstanding customer service! Exactly why I switched to Excalibur and why I will never shoot any other brand of crossbows! I’m hooked for life! Excalibur’s customer service has never let me down! Here’s a few pictures of the bow.

Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
deadeer

Re: Bulldog 380

Post by deadeer »

That sucks. Glad you are ok.

Same thing happened to me after a few shots on my used 380. Beat myself up for awhile that it was something I did wrong and I goofed up. But had used my 330 for years prior with no problem, so chalked it up to "one of those things".

Same result, Excal fixed me right up. You will be happy when all is right.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I think this is the first BD380 issue I've heard about. Glad your OK
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

It’s hard to tell from those photos but it looks like there wasn’t enough glue around the whole mag tip and it just flew off! I’ve never seen a limb tip do that either! Mike said that there was a newer riser for the Bulldog 380 but he didn’t tell me whether mine needed to be replaced or not? He just emailed and said all of the replacement parts are on the way! Hopefully I’ll have it back together and shooting it again by the weekend!
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

Are those the new matrix limbs? Reason I ask I have an older BD380 with the previous limb version. No problems with them and I shoot a 2 inch brace height. I only ask because I was thinking today of buying a set of the new matrix limbs. There is a thread about them I read it again today. Glad your okay. I was at the shooting range and a guy shooting a xbow with a cam got hit in the face with the string on the first shot out of the box. It left a mark.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I have no idea which limbs they are? I bought the bow last week brand new as a package. I do know even though it’s a new bow that it may be old stock probably why I got such a good deal on it!
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Glad you're ok looks like you'll be back in business before you know it.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Yes, I’m very thankful that I wasn’t injured when it broke! My parts have shipped! Excellent customer service!
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

Sorry you had a problem and glad it wasn't worse. Sure hate to hear about these issues but good to hear that CS is on top of it. I have owned 2 Excaliburs and when problems arose on them, CS was excellent. Love those recurves just the same.... :thumbup: :)
Boo

Post by Boo »

Excalibur is always great to deal with and sometimes just down right amazing. The founder of the business, Bill Troubridge, guided the company that way and now it's a tradition.
BTW, there is a small chance that this was caused by an overly large loop. In my experience, a semi dry fire is doable in your bow but the damage that I've seen is splintered limbs, not blown limb tips. A long time ago, they had a run of limb tips blowing but they fixed that in a big hurry.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I know Don. It definitely wasn’t a dry-fire. I’ve never seen or experienced anything like that. Everything on the bow was stock and the bow was a brand new with a seal on the box when I bought it. I’m thankful for the speed and quality of the customer service department especially Mike! 👍
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Well yesterday I lost my balance walking across the driveway when I lost my balance I ended up falling on the right side of my chest right on a mound of dirt with Pine tree roots! Knocked the wind out of me leaving me hurting really bad! Today my BD 380 parts were delivered from Excalibur. The limb deflection on the new limbs is 89 and the limb pocket spacers are a bit longer than the stock spacers. I got it all put back together and had a hell of a time just getting the string aid loaded! Got the string adjusted and on the bow. I could barely get it decocked! I then tried to cock the bow and that was a big mistake! Oh my goodness, my chest, ribs and middle back about killed me with excruciating pain! It will be awhile before I can cock my bow or I could break down and buy a crank! I definitely will NOT be hand cocking this bow till I completely heal! 😩
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Odds are 99 to 1 that you will have a limb problem. You are now in the 1% club. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

I was already in the club! That’s why I had to put on new limbs. :eusa-shhh:
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

glad to see you had good luck with customer service. I did too. I bought a new old model matrix 380 and the hook on the cocker tool broke, no problem, later I figured out the scope wouldn't hold zero, no problem, Excal is awesome, that's why I bought second bow from them. ( but I did give up and buy a crank for the 380 tho) :thumbup:
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster