308 Short questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

-StinkBait-

308 Short questions

Post by -StinkBait- »

Hello!
So I am literal days away from getting my grubby paws on a new 308. I, like a lot of you, love to upgrade my bows as soon as I get them. Heres afew thoughts more or less to pick you vetrans brains...
Arrows- I know the 308's are not near as fast as my matrix 330. I hear the Quills are accurate, but not "punch dimes ate 40 yards" accurate. I've been reading as much as I can on Zombie slayers and Executioners (Wyvern?). I have also seen the Excal Proflights. Is one superior to the other? My first question is, does anyone know what the 308's like as far as arrows go? I keep shots under 40 yards in the deer woods and really prefer a heavier rig when it comes to arrows and broadheads. Which leaves me to my nest question...
Broadheads-I have been shooting boltcutters for as long as I can remember. I've been looking at the X-act but am a little shy about going lighter. Thoughts?
Scope- I have heard a lot of good things about the Hawke XB30pro 1-5X24 SR. Really considering this scope before I even sight the new bow in.
I guess what I'm after is this... Could someone critique the set up I have in my head and let me know if I'm going the right direction?
308 Short- Not a banshee.
Excalibur Sound Deadening System- I will NOT be installing the EX-Shox.
REDS system.
Black Eagle Executioners from Wyvern cut to 16.5
Boltcutter broadheads.
Hawke XB30pro 1-5X24 SR
Anything else you would add/change? Any advise is sooo welcomed! Just want the reassurance I'm on the right path! Thanks for any info!
hunter with MS

Re: 308 Short questions

Post by hunter with MS »

I have a 308 short Wyvern suggests their Gold tip Swift pro that are custom built by them they weigh around 270 grain with out tips . They recommend 100 grain which brings the total wt to 370 grain I shoot 100 grain xact or 100 Muzzy trocar with this set up I am getting around 77 pounds of Kinetic Energy which is more then enough for most game . I keep my shots with it 30 yards and under with it . I have the dead zone scope on it works fine for me . As for sound deadening I don't use anything on it. Anything extra you put on it with increase the bow wt'. As you see I keep things simple
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I think you're right on track with that setup. Great bow, arrows and scope in my opinion. As far as broadheads, they're more of a personal preference. As long as they are sharp, and they are used and placed correctly, most will do the job. I prefer to have brass inserts in my arrows to provide enough weight up front so I can shoot 100gr broadheads. There are lots more broadhead options on the market at 100gr than at the heavier weights.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

Personally, I've had a 308 banshee and now a custom 310 bulldog. Neither have any sound deadening aside from the Reds. I wouldn't waste time or speed with a sound deadening system.
I shoot 15.5" zombies, only because I use the same arrow for all three of my Micros.
I have owned every model micro, in every combination you could imagine over the past three years and now one was any worse than same hole precision. Although I have never shot at distance beyond 50 yards, I think it's safe to say up to 40 you are 1" or better even with quills from a 308.
That changes drastically with a stiffer arrow and more speed

The Nikon Bolt XR was basically made for a small micro IMHO
Last edited by janesy on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Sounds to me like your on the right track!! :D
That’s what I love about Excalibur’s...you can customize it how you want.
The stock arrows will absolutely hold their own at normal hunting ranges. If you want a heavier arrow that’s fine but I can bust nocks at 40yds with my quills and micro 355 all day long. I’m shooting BEE’s out of my 380 but stock arrows out of the other three.
After 10 years of shooting Excalibur’s I’ve shot many different arrow/broad head combinations and all the deer and hogs I killed with stock arrows were just as dead. Trying to follow the KISS rule now :lol:
Good luck :thumbup:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

..... when I first read the title I thought you had 308 short questions... I asked myself how did one think of and write 308 short questions? :eusa-think: .... then when I saw and read the thread I realized how stupid I was! :mrgreen:

Anthony :lol:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

sorry dup! :eusa-doh:

Anthony :lol:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
PublicLandHunter1

Post by PublicLandHunter1 »

Just noticed I posted on the wrong thread.
BD400 with XV530IR scope, HHA Optimizer
Zombie 20 inch with lighted nocks
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
Bulldog 380 HHA Optimizer with the XV530IR scope, Triggertech
Spinal Tapps- 18-inch
Afflictor Broadheads K2 125 grain
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

The Hawke XB 30 Pro SR is a very nice scope if you like practicing longer yardage ( which I do)
I practice out to 60 - 80 yards a lot, which makes me more comfortable at normal shooting distances.
If you won't be doing long range target practice ask around about a good scope with less aiming points. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

My 2 cents

SCOPE: I have 2 of the XB30 Pro scopes and love them....especially at first light and at dusk. Good Choice on that.

ARROWS/BROADHEADS: ON a slower bow I think heavier will give you better penetration. Also, stay away from mechanical heads as they rob the arrow of energy while opening up. AT 308 speeds you should have no issues getting 1" groups with a quality fixed head at 40yds. I have also found that stiffer arrows perform better both in flight and at impact, so all I shoot are Zombie Slayers or GT Nitro Pro. Those are about the stiffest carbons I have found. I cut mine to 16", use 110gr brass inserts and shoot 125gr heads from my Micros (335, and 355). Arrow with Lumenock is about 427grs. My favorite fixed heads are Ramcats, Slick Tricks,

SOUND DEADENING: Air brakes, bumpers and other stuff that does not add weight to the limbs/string are all fine as they won't rob you of speed but they don't really quiet a bow all that much. They do dampen vibration some, though.
TRIGGER: Upgrading the trigger to an ACP Pro Shot or Trigger Tech single stage can make a big difference. And on this lower poundage bow even having Boo do a trigger job on the factory trigger would be a big improvement.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><