Lighted nocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tcwild

Lighted nocks

Post by tcwild »

Making up some 2219 bolts for my new to me Matrix 355 and would like to have lighted nocks, what's my choices? Even thought about changing up from my normal Thunderhead broadheads to something expandable but worried about penetration, any recommendations there? Looks like bolt weight is going to be in the 390- 400gr range. Thanks
Deaf jeff

Re: Lighted nocks

Post by Deaf jeff »

i use lumenocks. their website will tell you which ones fit your arrows. thats the only brand i have used so my information is limited on lighted nocks. i have used mechs for 25+ years and have only had one issue with penetration and that was my fault and hit the shoulder leg bone. my arrow weight total is 385-389 i have had an issue with premature opening twice also and that was while target shooting with a rage head many many years ago.
spitfires are the head of choice for me
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Lumenoks, and Rage Hypodermics. No worries on penetration.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

I like the Lumenoks the best and my choice of Broadhead is the G5 Montecs but I was gifted some G5 Dead Meats I’m going to experiment with soon.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.... yep Lumenoks is the way to go..... as far as mechanicals go... I swear by and use the Spitfire Max...over 2” cutting diameter... I have had them make a complete pass through... for those who are concerned about premature opening (which has never happened to me).... I use dental bands as sought of a belt and suspenders approach! :thumbup:

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

Looks like everyone prefers lumenoc's. Are you guys that shoot mechanicals getting complete passthru's, seems the few huntin shows I watch very few get them. I kind of have a habit of hugging the shoulder too tight more times than not. For you shooting them which bows are you using, thinking speed wise here.
Last edited by tcwild on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

amythntr wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:21 pm
.... yep Lumenoks is the way to go..... as far as mechanicals go... I swear by and use the Spitfire Max...over 2” cutting diameter... I have had them make a complete pass through... for those who are concerned about premature opening (which has never happened to me).... I use dental bands as sought of a belt and suspenders approach! :thumbup:

I like the idea of a 2" hole but seemed like some that I looked at were only 1 1/2", which isn't much more than I'm getting with fixed.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

tcwild wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:56 pm
amythntr wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:21 pm

I like the idea of a 2" hole but seemed like some that I looked at were only 1 1/2", which isn't much more than I'm getting with fixed.
.... I stand corrected. The spitfire maxx is a 1.75 cut...

..... I still love them... flies like FT’s

Anthony :eusa-think:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

tcwild wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:53 pm
Are you guys that shoot mechanicals getting complete passthru's, seems the few huntin shows I watch very few get them. I kind of have a habit of hugging the shoulder too tight more times than not. For you shooting them which bows are you using, thinking speed wise here.
With my Micro (~320fps with hunting arrows) I get pass throughs with all of the 2" expandables mentioned unless heavy bone is contacted.

I have seen two 2" expandables not pass through in the past few seasons. One was from my Micro and a dental-banded Spitfire XXX and was just under the skin of the far leg bone after contacting heavy bone. There was plenty of blood and I heard the deer crash after going about 50 yards.

The second was my daughter using my ExoMax (~350fps in hunting setup) and shot an 8pt that was quartering toward her squarely in the shoulder socket with a Rocket Hammerhead. The Hammerhead came to a stop just inside the opposite shoulder after literally splitting open the ball socket in the near shoulder. Blood was sparse on this one, but the buck didn't make it 100 yards.

Lesson: Your bow is plenty for any 2" expandable, even if you dental-band them. Shot placement will dictate the length and quality of the blood trail. On a well placed shot, falling in sight is the norm.

+1 on Lumenoks.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

i shoot the matrix 355. also use the spitfire maxx with this bow but have never shot it through a chrony so all i can say about speed is it is plenty fast for any deer and more
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

tcwild wrote:
Looks like everyone prefers lumenoc's. Are you guys that shoot mechanicals getting complete passthru's, seems the few huntin shows I watch very few get them. I kind of have a habit of hugging the shoulder too tight more times than not. For you shooting them which bows are you using, thinking speed wise here.
Hit bone like shoulder with mechanicals not good ....angle shots not good ....
I never shoot Buck unless broadside and I shoot higher back from shoulder .....
catclr

Post by catclr »

sproulman wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:44 am
tcwild wrote:
Hit bone like shoulder with mechanicals not good ....angle shots not good ....
I never shoot Buck unless broadside and I shoot higher back from shoulder .....
Very good point sproulman on mechanical broadheads and shoulder bone and angle shots. YES, Mechanical broadheads have killed lots of animals, but when things go wrong, you might of wish you took Dr. Ashby's advice. His advice is not only good for the recurve, and compound bow shooter, but works for all shooting crossbows.
Here is a link if you want to read about his 12 penetration enhancing factors for arrows---https://bit.ly/2OKo90f
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks