The broad broadhead discussion

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

Re: The broad broadhead discussion

Post by hunter with MS »

The gold tip swifts pro from Wyvern are 370 gr with a 100 grn tip . I got the same arrows and am shooting Xact expand and Muzzy trocar fixed both 100 grain . I put an arrow through a deer last season with a GrZ2 which goes 305 fps with an xact she went 5 yards and it opened up like it should have what a hole . I plan on taking my 308 short boar hunting in the fall with the xact .
drywallerdave1

Post by drywallerdave1 »

I use 125 swat a4 broadheads. They shoot exactly like my field points out to 50 yards. The most accurate broadheads I have used.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

..... I use mechanical spitfire maxx 100g out of my A360, my one son shots boldcutters out of his original 380 nightmare and my other son shoots thunderheads 100g out of his 380 nightmare.

...... we each love what we shoot.... my son with the bolt cutters has shot the biggest deer in the family with his bolt cutters.

..... as they say, “different strokes for different folks!”

.....can’t see you changing from what your using unless you are a tinkerer...you can’t kill a deer more dead by changing unless you are just plain unhappy with what you have!

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:54 am
... Most folks switch away from Bolt Cutters because of availability at their local shops...
And others based on performance.
I found they left very little in the way of a blood trail.
Also had the longest retrieval I've ever experienced using them. That despite taking both lungs and a pass through. 450 yards. Nutz.
Left a bad taste in my mouth, and I gave them away here as a consequence.

Since then I only run with 125 grain Spitfires.
Mechanical yes, but out of the 380 there have only been two instances where they did not zip right through.
And both were due to hitting heavy bone.
Both deer recovered within 30 yards.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I’ve tried many broad heads through the years and I keep coming back to my spitfires because they just plain work. They shoot to within a half inch of my field tips and I’ve never had an issue with them opening up.
I’ve taken several deer with my Vixen using the 125gr Spitfire and stock firebolts total arrow weight was around 394grs. Arrow speed for this set up was 270 FPS.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

All things said, and many out there will do the job. I switched to 125 grain heads a while back, and have given my vast collection of 100 grain heads in both fixed and mechanical design to my apprentice, and his veteran brother of the United States Coast Guard. I also sold, and traded away many 125 grain heads to have only Muzzy Trokar 125 grain fixed in my stable. Although I am now very limited to my time in the field since the heart attack, and have not fired an arrow tipped with such at a deer, I am happy with the accuracy of these. I did however just order NAP 125 grain Thunderheads, two 5 packs. I know what these will do in the field all too well, and have gone back to them so many times over 30 plus years of bow hunting. That said, once I fill the freezer I will try the Muzzy Heads. I have taken deer with other designs from Muzzy over the years, and cannot complain about them in any way, so please don't misunderstand my post. The point is simply that I only have one design in Muzzy brand these days, and I know the Thunderheads will perform with excellent results, sort of my go to heads! :eusa-deadhorse:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

My take:

MANY MANY combinations will work. Pretty much anything you put through 2 lungs will kill the animal.... and as for "power" it doesn't take all that much to do that on a whitetail.....see 45lb recurve bow with a 500gr arrow zipping though .

CONFIDENCE in your setup is a big factor. When confident you tend to focus on the shot and nor worry about anything.

But,...if you want to maximize penetration, you can do a few things.....

1) Stiff, stiff arrow. Less flexing at impact means less drag through the animal. Less drag = more penetration
2) Heavier arrow. Momentum is mass X velocity. And arrow that derives more momentum from mass rather than velocity will encounter less friction forces in the animal. Less friction forces = more penetration
3) High FOC. This moves the bend point at impact forward on the arrow, means less flex. See point 1
4) Fixed, "low drag" (translate low blade count) head. All mechanical heads take energy to open the blades. This is energy the arrow no longer has for penetration. A 2 blade head with a low work angle (think Magnus Stinger type) has very low drag , so better penetration, and is why trad shooters use that type of head primarily.

Now having said all that....most of this is overkill for our Excalibur setups as these bows have lots of power for taking deer sized game. So you can "compromise" in several areas above (i.s. faster flatter shooting arrow, mech. head etc) and still get complete pass through terminal performance.

Mt preference is to keep things simple, and tend towards some overkill to maximize my chances when things do not go "perfectly".

YMMV
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
bbahunter

Post by bbahunter »

janesy wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:14 pm
Doesn't get any simpler or economical than a Wasp Drone.
And accurate, and very deadly. :thumbup:
Suppressor 355
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

My arrow /broadhead combination for my M380 is as follows ...18 inch ZOMBIE SLAYER .001 straightness all spine indexed ,110 grain brass insert in the front , aluminum insert in the rear , 2 inch blazers , and a 125 grain Ramcat . It flies like a dart same poi as my field points
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Farmer wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:18 am
My arrow /broadhead combination for my M380 is as follows ...18 inch ZOMBIE SLAYER .001 straightness all spine indexed ,110 grain brass insert in the front , aluminum insert in the rear , 2 inch blazers , and a 125 grain Ramcat . It flies like a dart same poi as my field points
Love the Ramcats......How has their performance been on deer? I see massive wounds and great blood trails starting right from the point of impact
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
catclr

Post by catclr »

"My preference is to keep things simple, and tend towards some overkill to maximize my chances when things do not go "perfectly".

The above quote from Keith's above post is a good thing to remember when building arrows. Build arrows that will work on thick meat, heavy boned, thick skinned animals,and you will have not problems with deer.
I have been shooting 250, 275, 300 grain field points, with arrow wts. up in the mid 600 grain, and all three shot same hole.
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Have taken 1 coyote at 50 yards , 1 - 200 pound 9 point at 35 , pass thru , went 150 yards ( was after a doe ) and a 400 pound plus Black Bear went 30 yards all had blood trails Stevie wonder could follow ! Will try to post pictures
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Farmer wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:37 am
Have taken 1 coyote at 50 yards , 1 - 200 pound 9 point at 35 , pass thru , went 150 yards ( was after a doe ) and a 400 pound plus Black Bear went 30 yards all had blood trails Stevie wonder could follow ! Will try to post pictures
HAHAHA!! Stevie Wonder........ but yep, that is my experience too.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

We all use mechanicals on our Bucks ...I can say if you do not make broadside shot good chance you will hit bone and they will not go in very deep ....
We use them on Bears too BUT same thing you hit shoulder its wounded bear ...
Most used mechanicals are Rage and Nap ...
Many Bucks and Bear I have left go do to no broadside shot that I would have taken with fixed broadhead ...
1 year gang locally got 25 bear driving fir 1 week we cannot bait in pa...
Most used mechanicals biggest bear was 510 pds ....
We have a couple locally that are over 600# this year ...
Some in other counties pushing 800#...
We have bear traps all over there are so many big bear this year ...
Last edited by sproulman on Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Before I went to crossbow I used spitfire 100 in my bear kodiack recurve 45 # bow from 1965 with cedar wood arrows with feathers ....
Doz cedar arrows with feathers an d crested etc are $61
Had friend at work drill hole in arrow and I hot glued in the spitfire ...
Deadly on Bucks and shot like field point on target at 30 yds ...
I shot right thru bucks with this setup...