Worked in the woods today

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ChrisK

Worked in the woods today

Post by ChrisK »

I set my blind up and cut some lanes. I set it a little closer to the bean field than I did last year. Trying to set up just in case I take my recurve out instead of my crossbow. Both are set up using the same heads.
ChrisK

Re: Worked in the woods today

Post by ChrisK »

Told my wife everyone forgets how much work goes into hunting deer.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good luck Hoosier Neighbor. I don't put in the preseason work like I did before & know I should now. If you want to get close to deer & have a chance at big boy, you have to put in the work or know the place real good! Really, both help a lot! :wink: That said, an old timer that has passed on a long time ago told me this, if you hunt where there aint no deer, you won't see any! :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I definitely know I have the deer. I was very surprised this year they lowered the number of antlerless deer to be taken in my county.
I try to set my blind in a place where I can hunt all through deer season out of it. I plan to go back out on my next four off to do some more trimming. I noticed I have a couple more trees down from storms.
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

xcaliber wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:17 pm
Good luck Hoosier Neighbor. I don't put in the preseason work like I did before & know I should now. If you want to get close to deer & have a chance at big boy, you have to put in the work or know the place real good! Really, both help a lot! :wink: That said, an old timer that has passed on a long time ago told me this, if you hunt where there aint no deer, you won't see any! :eusa-popcorn:
Are deer numbers good this year over there? We seem to have a good herd this year. Good luck to you too by the way.sorry I didn’t say that earlier.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yes, numbers are good up here too. I hunt near Thayer on the Kankakee River.

Thanks, and happy hunting to you!
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:01 am
Yes, numbers are good up here too. I hunt near Thayer on the Kankakee River.

Thanks, and happy hunting to you!
Good to hear someone else has a connection to the Kankakee river , when I was a flowering Hunter/fisherman my parents had a club house on the Kankakee river in Carlyle Illinois. Wonderful memories .

Dave :thumbup:
Last edited by papa bear1 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Dave, it amazes me how much of the area around the Kankakee River has remained mostly woods & farmland over 40 plus years of my hunting adventures. Just an abundance of wildlife, and fish throughout all of the years I can remember except turkeys. They have made a huge recovery though over the last 20 years, and now there is some real good turkey hunting even on public land on the river. I don't hunt the thunder chickens, but several of my friends do, and they score in the fall & spring every year.

Good Luck Dave, if I put a tag on a doe this year, I'll be more than grateful! :thumbup:
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:46 am
Dave, it amazes me how much of the area around the Kankakee River has remained mostly woods & farmland over 40 plus years of my hunting adventures. Just an abundance of wildlife, and fish throughout all of the years I can remember except turkeys. They have made a huge recovery though over the last 20 years, and now there is some real good turkey hunting even on public land on the river. I don't hunt the thunder chickens, but several of my friends do, and they score in the fall & spring every year.

Good Luck Dave, if I put a tag on a doe this year, I'll be more than grateful! :thumbup:
:thumbup:
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

papa bear1 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:18 pm
xcaliber wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:46 am

:thumbup:
The area that I hunted/fished on the Kankakee
is now called Carlyle lake, a resort town :( But is still great fishing. :thumbup:
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

I'm about 1 1/2 hrs east of Carlyle, Illinois.Olney, Richland county
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
Owl Creek

Post by Owl Creek »

2 hours sw in MO. for me.

I need to get out and do some work myself.
BullDog 330
Deadzone.
TriggerTech.
Dr. Sturrip
BEE's

BullDog 360
Nikon Bolt aka P3
Zombie Slayers

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

A buddy from work loaned me a sickle so I can cut through some of the tall grass. Going to work on that tomorrow or Tuesday. I also need to cut on another fallen tree.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I spend at least every other weekend at our cabin working on various projects.
Put a a ceiling under the 8' loft this past weekend and also worked on another storage shed because the one I have isn't big enough for everything. lol
generator, snowshoes, cross country ski's, weed eater, and hunting equip all take up a lot of space.
I still have two more blinds to finish building and get in place the next couple weeks. :)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

Always thought food plus be an easy solution. Ha ha!

Spent a whole day ,prepping and seeding. Seemed a little late , but better than never.

I was for small 10ft by 20ft areas in the shooting lanes. No --' once my b-law got started , was go big or don't go.

I was like, no use having them stop and munch away and not have a shot at them. So instead of a few hrs. , it was all day. 7 spots in all. Hope fir the best and praying for some rain to help out.