Hunting platform

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Hunting platform

Post by Boo »

I bought a 38 acre lot earlier this yr and finally got time to put up a platform. It's the first one I've ever done so if someone has comment's, I'm listening. It is 8'x8' on top and on 10' 4x4s. It's very stable but for some reason I'd like to add some more to it for long term stability. I was thinking about using 3/4" plywood triangles and my buddy seems to think I should just remove the lower 2x4s at the bottom and move them up. I plan on putting a 5 hub ground blind this year and if I have the time and this place is productive, I'll put up a solid structure on the platform. I put a ladder made from 2x4s on the backside after the picture.
Opinions?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Hunting platform

Post by Doe Master »

Looks good Don . Maybe a pipe for when nature calls . :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Looks great Don, I think the only other thing I might do is to add another crossmember to form an x on each side but use cable with turnbuckles to adjust for changing ground conditions in the future. :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Doe Master wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:53 pm
Looks good Don . Maybe a pipe for when nature calls . :lol:
X2!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

A pee pipe? You guys being serious? :wtf: With a funnel in case of bad aim? :lol: :lol: :lol:
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Bcxbow wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:54 pm
Looks great Don, I think the only other thing I might do is to add another crossmember to form an x on each side but use cable with turnbuckles to adjust for changing ground conditions in the future. :thumbup:
Bcxbow has the right idea. All I will add is to half-lap the 2x4s where they cross and overlap each other. That will achieve two things, by half-lapping the 2x4s it will make the joints more secure and it will solidify and increase the longevity of the entire structure.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Yes, make all your bracing "X"s by adding another member. Also if you can fasten them to each other where they cross it will stiffen it up even more.
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Tom

Post by Tom »

Bcxbow wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:54 pm
Don I like the above suggestion. I believe that if you use 3/4 plywood, the size (on a triangle) that you might need might just be enough to catch wind where you lose stability.

I would also add abs pipe both inside and outside, most on the outside to add fresh cut branches throughout the season for natural camo.

Not sure how far the stand is for you to travel to but it looks like a nice garage for your atv :lol: ....... but remember that your "nature's call" pipe is pointing away from your atv. :eusa-clap: I have found that deer down in southern Ontario are not on alert from atvs.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Normous

Post by Normous »

How far will the bear bait pile be? :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I no nothing :lol: but I think the x would be a smart idea! Another thought would be to plant apple trees around the base to add some cover
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Boo

Post by Boo »

mr meat wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:53 pm
I no nothing :lol: but I think the x would be a smart idea! Another thought would be to plant apple trees around the base to add some cover
:lol: :lol: :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Boo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:43 pm
A pee pipe? You guys being serious? :wtf: With a funnel in case of bad aim? :lol: :lol: :lol:
You know as we age the initial spurt is a bit fanned out, just saying! The funnel might be a good upgrade! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:36 pm
Boo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:43 pm
You know as we age the initial spurt is a bit fanned out, just saying! The funnel might be a good upgrade! :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Speak for yourself Dan! :lol: :lol: :lol:
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

I agree X out the sides and since your not going to enclose it right away I’d waterproof the floor area. Other than that looks great.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
janesy

Post by janesy »

Don, what you are looking to achieve is triangulation. The theory works that the load is always taken from one point and dispersed between the other two connection point. Consider that every connection is a small roof. The peak directs the weight outside to both walls and down. Contrary to popular belief, a right angle triangle it nearly indestructible.
I'm simplfying this considerably, but the theory works throught the whole structure.
Your idea of plywood gussets is exactly the correct way,
However with 4x4's your be considerably better off to replicate the gusset with a 2x4 's increasing the above of the triangle to feet instead of inches. Leverage works on your side if the connecting materials are stranger and further apart.

Consider this. If you had two 10' 4x4's connected at 45° angle to one and other suppoerted by a 12" gusset and two people pulled the legs apart... How easy would that be to break apart? Replace that with a 2x4 place 48" down each 4x4 and try to pull that apart. Not happening.

X bracing creates the exact same scenario.

The other piece of the puzzle is the connection methods. Two solid BOLTED connections will stop the braces from rotating. Which completely eliminates any structural integrity you may have created. Screws are NOT structural components and will not hold. But people sure buy a lot of them. :wink:

Moving the bottom boards up do nothing for structural integrity.
Boo wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:30 pm
I bought a 38 acre lot earlier this yr and finally got time to put up a platform. It's the first one I've ever done so if someone has comment's, I'm listening. It is 8'x8' on top and on 10' 4x4s. It's very stable but for some reason I'd like to add some more to it for long term stability. I was thinking about using 3/4" plywood triangles and my buddy seems to think I should just remove the lower 2x4s at the bottom and move them up. I plan on putting a 5 hub ground blind this year and if I have the time and this place is productive, I'll put up a solid structure on the platform. I put a ladder made from 2x4s on the backside after the picture.
Opinions?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme