Comfortable shooting distances while hunting.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

adam6521

Comfortable shooting distances while hunting.

Post by adam6521 »

This might a topic that is like :eusa-deadhorse:
I have been practicing with my Excalibur Matrix Bulldog 380, Diablo arrows with 150 grain bolt cutter broad heads.
I have the twilight DLX scope.
I am up to 30 yards and it has been shooting great with about 1 inch groups.
Next I want to move to 40 yards and work on up to see how far I can go.
In deer hunting what distance will you and wont you take a shot with a crossbow in a perfect situation with a deer standing in one spot and is not spooked or on alert.
Excalibur Matrix Bulldog 380 with Excalibur Twilight DLX Scope
Diablo Bolts, Excalibur Boltcutter 150 grain.
Reinyrooster

Re: Comfortable shooting distances while hunting.

Post by Reinyrooster »

I think my max under perfect conditions ( deer broadside and relaxed, slight breeze in my face and perhaps some noise from traffic or a farm tractor ) would be 40.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....x2 on the 40 yards....even though any deer I have shot has been no more than 31 yards!

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

This is a personal choice type of question, and 40 is my maximum as well although I wanna stay inside 30 yards. I suggest practicing off hand shooting farther than you would ever shoot at game animals, this way you’ll be completely confident in the shots you take in your wheelhouse. Off hand in my opinion is critical because I have never had any animal pose for me, and allow me to use my rest.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
dithian

Post by dithian »

Very important question to be asking, and as said above has a lot to do with personal comfort. It's also critical to understand the animals you hunt, and to be able to read their body language. Strictly speaking, I'd say the "perfect" shot is 20 yards, because at that distance there's very little opportunity for the deer to react to the incoming arrow. If you're new to hunting, you might want to start there. 30 yards is generally considered a reasonable shot at game, and even there you'll probably notice your POI is affected by the deer's reaction, at least somewhat. I would hold off on anything beyond 30 yards until you're confident in reading deer body language. While at home you might be splitting arrows in your target at 40 yards, in the field, as soon as the deer steps into range, your heartbeat will increase, your breathing will change—it's very difficult to control that. Assume you won't be as accurate at that range in the presence of game. Also, a deer can drop quite a distance before impact, if it senses the arrow approaching from 40 yards.

I recently learned that a deer grazing with its head down is actually not a great shot to take, especially beyond 20 yards. While an upright deer can only drop at the speed of gravity, a deer with its head down can actually use the leverage of it's head and neck to drop more quickly. Here's a post I put up about a year ago: https://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69402&p=675406#p675406

Watch this video for some great information on string ducking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWXWUBWSszk
Buck

Post by Buck »

Over 10 yards and under 40.
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Out to 60 yds any day of the week n twice on Sat. n Sunday. Of course i am still waitin on my perfect broadside shot. Truth is it may never come in my lifetime, so if'en i get a chance this yr i will try to kill myself a deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

40 and under .only 40 if the animal is relaxed. And not windy
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

I have never hunted or shot a deer with a crossbow yet! Let's just say I've shot 20 deer with a rifle. In the type of areas I hunted in the past the farthest shot I have ever made was 75 yards. All others were between 10 and 40 yards. Every deer I shot was while still hunting.
I used to listen to many people tell stories of the great 200 and 300 yard shots they were making on all the deer they shot. Most of the folks I would question how far is it to that maple or that road sign etc. It seems most the folks telling me about these great shots had no idea how to judge distance. I belong to a shooting range, I took a fellow out to the range who swore he shot many deer at 200-300 yards. I took him to our 100 yard benches he said wow nice 200 yard range. I couldn't resist I called him on his great deer shooting skills.
Most average weekend hunters have a hard time to hit 5 out of 5 shots on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper free hand at 100 yards We have proved it again and again at the range. That is why they make shooting sticks. Not many places in New Brunswick WOODS you can not see more than 40-50 yards unless your in a clear cut, field or bog. A very large buck is 40-42 inches at the shoulder at 100 yards in a NEW clear cut they would be very hard to see unless standing on a high spot.
You have some great advice, practice, practice keep your shots close.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I make it 30 or less I do practice out beyond 40 . Just so I can make the shot if I have to .
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

Up to 30 for me, but I also practice up to 40.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I've taken a couple deer at 40 yards with my ExoMax, but I prefer shots in the 25-30 range. If they get much closer, movement and scent becomes a bigger concern. Also, it depends on whether I have a rest. If I shoot beyond 30, I'd feel more comfortable if I have a rest. My primary stand for the early season has no rest, but I expect most shots from that stand to be under 15 yards.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I shoot out to 40 using shooting sticks.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline