Insert glue choices

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Insert glue choices

Post by longbow joe »

I normally use plain home depot 2 part epoxy on my zombie shafts no real problems ever.
Tonight I was shooting broadheads at my block target and had lost 2 inserts. These were old bolts and really never had a problem before but l have 6 proflite bolts I'm gonna put 110 grain inserts in and some zombies also .
I'm open to try something new l was always impressed with the strength of hot melt on fishing rod tips . But I'm open to any advice on what you guys use . Thanks lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Cardinalsfanforever

Re: Insert glue choices

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

I tried some hot melt on some executioner bolts with 110 grn. inserts, but I must have done something wrong as they come out. gonna try again using acetone instead of alcohol. I probably didn't use enough glue or something.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
Normous

Post by Normous »

Besides a tube of fresh quality glue ( I use G.Glue Blue Top), add knurling the inserts between 2 Bastard files.

Tip: Check fitment into shaft before gluing, might need slight sanding if over sized.
Tip II: clean inside shaft and insert with acetone , and no oily fingers on the inserts allowed.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family

Post by newbie »

Normous wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:34 pm
Besides a tube of fresh quality glue ( I use G.Glue Blue Top), add knurling the inserts between 2 Bastard files.

Tip: Check fitment into shaft before gluing, might need slight sanding if over sized.
Tip II: clean inside shaft and insert with acetone , and no oily fingers on the inserts allowed.
The knurling makes all the difference with a good cleaning of acetone.
Fast setting 2part sets up brittle i dont use them. I use jb weld as i never want to loose them in targets.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I've always done the acetone cleaner these gold tip 110s have a ton of nooks and crannies l am Definitely loosing them on the smooth side of the shaft not the brass.
Maby l should have said that. Sorry
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

longbow joe wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:32 am
I've always done the acetone cleaner these gold tip 110s have a ton of nooks and crannies l am Definitely loosing them on the smooth side of the shaft not the brass.
Maby l should have said that. Sorry
Joe, I also use the two part epoxy and have found that if you take a 30 caliber brass brush and rotate it several times inside the shaft before installing the insert it will scratch/etch the inside of the shaft and produce a better surface for the epoxy to adhere to. I haven’t lost an insert in years using this method.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

AAE Max Impact works great but the knurling process and cleaning with the.30 caliber bore brush is critical. Black Eagle sells a insert glue that is also very good.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Great advice given. I also use two flat bastards to knurled my inserts. I then drop them into an acetone bath and remove and allow to completely air dry. With my shafts I run a boar brush through them and submerge them (upright) into an acetone bath. I remove them one at a time and swab the inside of the shaft with a Q-tip. I also use the G5 Blue Glue which has yielded excellent results.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....below is the link to the hot melt glue that a good friend told me about....Since I have use it I have never had any problems with Inserts/broadheads being left in the target....weather does not affect it....

....I also prepare the insert as described in previous responses....in addition, I take a circular file and just run it in the inside of the shaft one or two times and of course clean it out with acetone!

http://lostnationarchery.com/index.php/product/view/kimsha_quick_stick

Anthony :thumbup:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

i use G5 blue glue for my blazers and inserts, cleaning every gluing surface with acetone first,including inside of arrow. i have NEVER had an insert nor vane come off after making a few dozen for friends/family and myself. according to the experts that gave me a ton of advice ( thank you Don and Dan :thumbup: ) prepping/cleaning is a major step to achieve great results
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

The only thing I can see wrong with hot melt glue is if you use a target like a block or some kind of foam is when the arrow goes into it creates a LOT of heat and it may melt the glue . the file method and cleaning and a good glue is you answer. JMO
W.M.
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Also don’t forget that when using acetone you must wait for the smell to be gone from the components you are joining, if you can smell it there are vapors that could weaken the adhesive.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I recall reading in the Black Eagle literature that they specifically say not to use hot melt with their shafts....just saying. I can't speak to it but that was what they said. Perhaps something has changed.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
catclr

Post by catclr »

I have gone to products from 30-06, for both vanes and inserts. Yes your doing the acetone cleaning of both inserts and inside shaft of arrow, along with running insert between flat file's, works great on both brass and Ethics SS inserts. Just did inserts yesterday soaked all day, got them out last evening so they would air dry overnight, also cleaned inside shaft, and dried all day yesterday till this morning, when I glued in the inserts with Insert Weld from 30-06. It's a rubber glue, and also a filler for between insert and shaft.

Here is link to company------https://www.30-06outdoors.com/shop/archery/archery-adhesives/
You can find it on line, Lancaster Archery sells it.

Catclr
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

paulaboutform wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:52 am
I recall reading in the Black Eagle literature that they specifically say not to use hot melt with their shafts....just saying. I can't speak to it but that was what they said. Perhaps something has changed.

Paul
Fratello mio... this is a rubberized glue... it works like a charm... haven’t lost an insert since I went to it!

Anthony :thumbup:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings