Max range would you say is far enough?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Re: Max range would you say is far enough?

Post by janesy »

ihunt wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:52 pm

Between 40 and 50 yds.
I know sitting down holding my mirco with elbow on my knee I can accurately group my bolts to within an 1” to 1.5” at 40yds. I've target practice at 50 but not sure of the killing effect if it's powerful enough to do the job?

Thanks for the replies.
At 50Y your bow absolutely has the physical power to do so. But as everyone has mentioned, it's up to you to decide whether you should, or can for that matter.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

This has been a great thread! Thanks for all the replies. Love the input as always.
I'm going to try to revaluate my situation and see if I can do something in reducing the shooting distance.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

IMHO I think the max range would be what your comfortable and confident with. I personally set my stands up in the Woods with 30 yard max shots, when I’m hunting cornfields or the bean fields and a monster walks around 40-50 yards in the open fields I’m gonna take that shot. I have confidence in my equipment and I do practice out to 50 yards. I’ve never practiced shooting over 50 yards so I wouldn’t feel confident in taking a shot over 50.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
dithian

Post by dithian »

I've heard some opine that beyond 60 yards, or so, the sound of the bow actually stops being an issue, and that string ducking is worst from 30-60 yards. Beyond that and the arrow takes them by surprise. Anyone have anything to say about that? I'm not particularly interested in putting it to the test myself, being that wasting an arrow/broadhead is $20 that could otherwise afford a middling bottle of rye. Or four-fifths of a pizza.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I had explained one time to me this way .
If you are in a dark room and someone comes up behind you and says boo at 10 feet . You jump out of your skin .
Take the same room and someone does the same from across the room . You don`t seem to react the same .
Now take that thought with a deer . You get inside its comfort zone . It will try to jump out of its skin . Key word . TRY !!!
So many factors to any shot . Is the deer relaxed , wind blowing .
I tend to shy away from fields and get back in the bush . Don`t see as many deer but the ones I do see are at a closer range . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

I was shooting a Grizzly and wouldn't take a shot past 30, now moved up to a Matrix 355 hopeing to shoot 40 max. Those deer have to be going into the corn somewhere I'd figure that out and move closer and find acouple different wind spots to set up.
Ferguson Outfitters

Post by Ferguson Outfitters »

I mostly find the alert doe to be the most jumpy.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Yes . I feel an alert doe could try to jump a bullet even . :shock: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Lots of good opinions and suggestions.
Really appreciate your input. Thanks. :thumbup:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

dithian wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:38 pm

I would recommend watching this video on reaction time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWXWUBWSszk
Thanks for the link very interesting.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

When I used to practice a lot at 60 yards I felt comfortable making a shot on a doe feeding at 50 yards quartering away from, this was my longest shot with a crossbow and she piled up within 40 yards but the majority of my shots now are under 35 yards since I don't hunt fields much anymore. The yardage issue is very opinionated and you have to 1st make sure you can make the shot and 2nd make sure the deer isn't alert and on edge.

Good luck with your hunting this year.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

Your biggest question to ask yourself is can you read the deer? The further out you go, the more you need to read them and predict what they're going to do. A deer wandering in on it's own, head down and pointed away, calm slow smooth movements would be my green light for an extended range shot. But there's no question that your bow has enough energy to cleanly kill a deer at 50 yards and lots more than that.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

As to wether a Micro is fast enuff to cleanly take a tick toter out to 50 yds. That is how good n skilled you are? Here is a clean 47 yd shot usin said 335 Micro, yeah buddy was jus few seconds it was all over but the field dressin.
https://postimg.cc/9zQQcyyv]Image
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
dithian

Post by dithian »

Boo wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:38 pm
A deer wandering in on it's own, head down and pointed away, calm slow smooth movements would be my green light
I'm curious about the head down business. I used to always wait for head down and grazing because I assumed it meant a relaxed animal, but then someone shared the video I shared above, after I posted about two deer with exit wounds HIGHER than the entrance wounds——I was shooting from a stand. Seems deer can use their heads as leverage for faster-than-gravity reactions when their heads are down? Both of the above mentioned deer were between 20 and 30 yards, so I'm inclined to believe it. But I'm also hunting axis deer, which are jittery, supersonic and psychic. I'm just raising the question, certainly not questioning your experience or advice.
dithian

Post by dithian »

vixenmaster wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:54 pm
As to wether a Micro is fast enuff to cleanly take a tick toter out to 50 yds. That is how good n skilled you are? Here is a clean 47 yd shot usin said 335 Micro, yeah buddy was jus few seconds it was all over but the field dressin.
https://postimg.cc/9zQQcyyv]Image
Nice shot! What's your secret sauce for long distance kill shots, aside, of course, from competent marksmanship?