broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob watkins

broadheads

Post by bob watkins »

there is always a lot of discussion on which broad head to use i shot a bear in canada in june with a tru glol --shot 2nd bear in sept in maine with a g5 montec---- shot deer last week with a magnus buzz cut they all work it all comes down to shot placement .( i admit i am a broad-head junkie ) have fun guys and gals
amythntr

Re: broadheads

Post by amythntr »

.....totally agree with the shot placement being the critical part of success...however with so many things which can go wrong in a shot it is easy to blame the broadhead...

..... I am not a BH junkie as I have stuck with the NAP Spitfire from pretty much day one....I am however an arra junkie...enjoying making up my own arras for each bow I have shot!

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Bob, I love shooting and testing broadheads also. I've found my 2 favorites, I love the Truglo Titanium X as well as the NAP FOC 170 gr. broadhead. These 2 broadheads shoot with my field points and leave very big wound channels which help in tracking and recovery for me. Between My wife and I in the last 2 years we have taken 8 deer with these 2 broadheads with none going over 70 yards and most were down within 40-50 yards.

I know everyone has their favorites so good luck and happy hunting with whatever broadhead you have confidence in.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

bob watkins wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:18 am
there is always a lot of discussion on which broad head to use i shot a bear in canada in june with a tru glol --shot 2nd bear in sept in maine with a g5 montec---- shot deer last week with a magnus buzz cut they all work it all comes down to shot placement .( i admit i am a broad-head junkie ) have fun guys and gals
Hey Bob,
I haven't forgotten about the hide. It'll be on it's way next week I hope. I'll call you

How was the blood trail on the montec?

Keith
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I'll admit it, I'm a broadhead junkie. :clap:

But I have a big preference for what works well. Fortunately, there are a lot of them that work well. Some bow/arrow combinations can shoot anything, and others have issues with fixed heads if not enough FOC. I carry three different types of broadheads in my quivers and have confidence in all of them. If I do my part, they will do theirs.

Lately I've resorted to only buying one new pack each time I fire a single head. :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
OhioXBowhunter

Post by OhioXBowhunter »

I use to shoot NAP Razorback never lost a deer with them and they never went over 50 yards. I don’t believe they make them anymore and a buddy has told me NAPs quality has gone down so never really looked at them. I tried a couple of mechanical broadheads when I got the 405 a couple of years ago and they always seem to open up on flight so I went with a fixed head and started shooting the montecs and they shoot great. I was given a pack of G5 dead meats going to try them and see how they fly. Once I find something that works good for me I usually stay with it. I think it’s all about what each person likes and shoots good for them. When I was younger I think I tried everything new that came on the market. I’d like to think now that I’m older I’m a little bit wiser but my wife wouldn’t agree.
400 Suppressor TD
Bulldog 440
Matrix 405
Black Eagle Zombies
Black Eagle Executioners
G5 Montecs / Mega meats
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I to like to switch up broadheads but I found one I really like it is the SERRAZOR 125 by Magnus . they are like a broad axe . and fly great took two deer with them last year and they did the job.
W.M.
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

I been using the Wac em crossbow 3 blade fixed 100 gr.. They seem to shoot like field points just like they say. I use my 330 matrix.They work really well on the deer too. :thumbup: Can be hard to find and for 3 in a pak it’s 40.00. They are still made in USA. I ask the company yesterday who sells lots of other broadheads why I see no one carry them or hear abut them much? Well I guess that’s the problem as every one hears about Muzzy and other so called name brands.You actually have to by em from a dealer or have the dealer order em for you.Ferdayne or what ever it’s called won’t sell em direct to you. I ordered another pak on Amazon from a dealer who had a few in stock yesterday.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

keith not much of blood trail bear only went 40yds
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

We all use Spitfire points ...
Take you point ,wrap with unwaxed dental floss ..
Shoot into rags thru cardboard box point is fine ..
Arrow goes in 2 inchs ...
Blades never open .
bbahunter

Post by bbahunter »

bob watkins wrote:
Bob, i never got good bloodtrails with the montecs, but they never went far either. They fly good though.
Try some wasp drones, i would be surprised if you don't like them. They are great heads.
I shoot them out of my Verts and suppressor. :thumbup:
Suppressor 355
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

bbahunter wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:41 pm
bob watkins wrote:
Bob, i never got good bloodtrails with the montecs, but they never went far either. They fly good though.
Try some wasp drones, i would be surprised if you don't like them. They are great heads.
That's funny. I got the exact same impression from Wasp Drones. They shot great and the deer didn't go far. I just didn't have much blood from a near perfect hit. My guess is the small diameter plays a role in this.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
bbahunter

Post by bbahunter »

That is funny Duck hunt. I have had very generous bloodtrails with the the Drones . Just goes to show people have different results with different gear.
Suppressor 355