Converting a Mechanical for Practice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Converting a Mechanical for Practice

Post by paulaboutform »

I recall this being discussed at some point but my recollection isn't what it used to be. I'm thinking of sacrificing one or two Spitfires by gluing the blades closed with my cyanoacrylate glue for target practice. Has anyone tried it and will it work...before I ruin a broadhead? :eusa-think:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
W.Miguire

Re: Converting a Mechanical for Practice

Post by W.Miguire »

JB Weld works.
W.M.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Honestly paul l have shot spitfires ,xact,lazer strike 2, for years. As long as l have confirmed that the bolt shoots well with a field point .Then go to my broadhead and spin check it l have found a1/2 inch variance with all of them .l dont even bother shooting them anymore.
That is the golden part about them.
With all of my bows l have knocked out a whole lot of aggravation tuning and fiddling with the fixed blades
I have no problems with a fixed blade l just dont need any more time spent playing with them. I have other things to do.
They do indeed make spitfire practice blades but l have found them useless because they flew like a field point. Lol.epoxy one together and hopefully you will have the same results l have for peace of mind. Good luck this season.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Thanks Joe. Funny thing though, I have 3 Spitfire practice heads that flew nothing like my field points or the actual broadheads....and Ironnoggin witnessed it. I found them a complete waste of money. My concern was that the glue/epoxy wouldn't hold up to the shock and force of the arrow slamming into the target. I think I'll have to try one. I'll soak the broadhead in an acetone bath, clean with a Q-Tip, second soak, and allow to dry thoroughly. Hopefully it works. I'll post up my results.

Paul
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

A simple pc of electrical tape works for 2-3 shots. You should be fine.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Paul what is your arrow bolt and insert set up.with the spitfires?
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

W.Miguire wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:50 pm
JB Weld works.
W.M.
X2.... this is what I use on my spitfires!

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I use the real deal. I have a cheapy field point target from CT that broadheads blow right through. I glue on a paper target. I stand a ten inch thick piece of white Styrofoam from insulating homes about 18 inchs behind field point target. Styrofoam gets knocked over but arrow never blows through. Broadheads get stuck in foam and I push and pull them out the other side. If I have to refletch arrow later who cares. Works good for me. That's all I use that field point target for. CHEERS!
Normous

Post by Normous »

X3 on the JB Weld.
I clean all surfaces with acetone first.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

Paul, I cleaned a Spitfire XXX with acetone, ran the blue top Gorrilla Glue in the grooves, shut them and left the glue set for a day. Two of the blades opened and one of those broke off dragging the steel blade keeper out. I'm going to try JB Weld. I tried one without glue and it broke 2 blades. This is all out of the 440 into a Rinehart target.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Tom

Post by Tom »

paulaboutform wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:16 am
Thanks Joe. Funny thing though, I have 3 Spitfire practice heads that flew nothing like my field points or the actual broadheads....and Ironnoggin witnessed it. I found them a complete waste of money. My concern was that the glue/epoxy wouldn't hold up to the shock and force of the arrow slamming into the target. I think I'll have to try one. I'll soak the broadhead in an acetone bath, clean with a Q-Tip, second soak, and allow to dry thoroughly. Hopefully it works. I'll post up my results.

Paul
Boo wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:34 am
Paul, I cleaned a Spitfire XXX with acetone, ran the blue top Gorrilla Glue in the grooves, shut them and left the glue set for a day. Two of the blades opened and one of those broke off dragging the steel blade keeper out. I'm going to try JB Weld. I tried one without glue and it broke 2 blades. This is all out of the 440 into a Rinehart target.
Paul it is strange that your practice blades do not fly like hunting heads as I know many different shooters, different bows that all shoot alike. But all these heads are older versions, maybe that this could be the variable.

I also know how particular you are with your arrows. How much weight will jb weld add to the head. I imagine that even blue gorilla glue would add enough weight to alter the benifit of shooting the altered head (with same profile as hunting head).

I loved the spitfire practice heads as they did shoot exactly the same holes for me as I did find that the head profile did have an effect. I hope you can figure out something.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Thanks fellas. The 3 practice Spitfires wouldn't even hit in the same place and there was a discernable rattle in the practice heads but everything was tight.
I assure you my arrows are built meticulously, with an almost embarrassing amount of attention to detail. I cut my arrows on my Cir-Cut Arrow saw, square both ends with the G5 squaring tool after marking the ends with a welders pen, bore clean the front of the shafts, soak in an acetone bath and swab with Q-Tips, furl my brass inserts and weigh each shaft and inserts on my calibrated Pro-Tac digital scale...which is recalibrated every 6 measures. I then match up parts to shafts and file the back of the inserts to have all my shafts and components, including nocks and vanes, weighing exactly the same. I then weigh the points and match them to each shaft so I am within 0.1gr variance within the dozen arrows. I also square the nocks once installed. As I said, I pay great attention to detail. The recipe I used was 18" Zombies with the decals removed, 110gr brass inserts, 100gr broadheads, 2" Blazers on the EZ Bolt Fletcher and Luminoks.
I'll have to stop by Lordco or Princess Auto and pick up some JB Weld.

Paul
ldock

Post by ldock »

My practice spitfires were not close. I took dental floss and wrapped the blades as tight as I could same as field point. Don't leave any excess dental floss cut close and lightly burn ends with lighter. Best I remember I got a couple shots out of the floss before it started detorating after hitting the target. Hope this helps Larry
Boo

Post by Boo »

ldock wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:39 pm
My practice spitfires were not close. I took dental floss and wrapped the blades as tight as I could same as field point. Don't leave any excess dental floss cut close and lightly burn ends with lighter. Best I remember I got a couple shots out of the floss before it started detorating after hitting the target. Hope this helps Larry
That does not appear to work with the 440. One shot and the blades are open. I used a strand of string with a breaking strength of around 120 lbs. epoxy it is for me.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ldock

Post by ldock »

All I know is it works for me I don't just make one wrap I wrapped several rounds on the arrow very tightly. If it doesn't suit your fancy don't use it. Just made a suggestion for those interested.