bolt length for an Axoim

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

eddie0225

bolt length for an Axoim

Post by eddie0225 »

Hello, got a question about bolt length. I got 3 20 inch bolts with the Xbow and was wondering is there a minumum length for this bow. Reason I'm asking is I'd got a good deal on what were 18 inchers. I've checked and the bolt goes past the rail so I figured they were probably ok to use but I'm just wanting to make sure before I do use any.
Many thanks in advance
Eddie
xcaliber

Re: bolt length for an Axoim

Post by xcaliber »

Just make sure when you have an arrow in your bow while cocked that you cannot get your foot in under the arrow. Safety first!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
eddie0225

Post by eddie0225 »

that I don't have to worry with I never even try to put a bolt in till its cocked. So gues it'll be fine like I figured
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

No, I’m referring to when you are unlocking the bow. This is after a hunt that doesn’t end with a shot taken.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
eddie0225

Post by eddie0225 »

well that i have no worries as I only uncock my bow by firing it
janesy

Post by janesy »

That's was sound advice. Nobody ever plans on putting an arrow through their foot.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Accidents are just that....accidents. Never say never. I gapped and fired my bow with one cocking hook on the string. I never knew a body could squirt blood eight feet out just like a stream after it was ripped from my neck and the handle smashed and broke on my baby finger. Happen to use broadheads what are you going to shoot it into and ruin/dullen the new broadhead at 10 to 15 dollars each?
grouse

Post by grouse »

I uncocked a 20 inch arrow with a boltcutter on it into my foot with my axiom 7 years ago. I was in a hurry to watch a playoff baseball game and after I took my boots off I remembered that I hadn't uncocked my bow. The broadhead went through my sock and well into my foot behind where two toes come together. I still have the scar to remind me.

Be careful!
axiom
350 SE
catclr

Post by catclr »

eddie0225 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:04 am
well that i have no worries as I only uncock my bow by firing it
IMO you are fine with you 20" or 18" arrows. I have a M355 and have shot arrow lengths from 15 1/2" to 20" that now am using. Just make sure min. arrow total weight is 350 gr.or more.
Now you need to learn to decock your crossbow with your cocking rope, and stop shooting it. The other thing is look at the DrStirrup foot unit for your crossbow, and have no fear of ever putting a arrow through your foot, as your feet are on each side of the arrow, if you would forget to remove. JMO

Here is a link to cocking and decocking your crossbow---https://bit.ly/2zquSC6 copy and paste
Matrix 355----Scorpion
Hawke XB1
DrStirrup Products All
nchunterkw,Boo strings
Steelforce B.H.
Magnus B.H. Ser-Razor 125 gr.
SPYNAL TAPP
Nufletch Ignitors
NockOut Lighted Nocks
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I cut and build my own arrows and always cut the length so my broad head tipped arrow length reaches the stirup frame but does not go past it for the safety issues already mentioned.
It's not worth the savings on the short arrows ,decocking is a great bennifet of Excalibur ownership and is safe with proper length arrows and saves serving ware and no need to keep a target in the car.
Also what if someone else were to use the bow need to keep them safe
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
eddie0225

Post by eddie0225 »

well I hunt mainly here at home. Also when I do decock by shooting a bolt it is one I use all the time it has a field tip on it so I don't mess up a broadhead or just shoot into the ground I use a good bag for shooting bolts into they never go very deep and same bolt has been used for a good bit
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Arrows my friend not bolts. Bolts are midevil. CHEERS!
rmb721

Post by rmb721 »

An Equinox takes 20" arrows and the rail is two inches longer than an Axiom, so the end of a 18" arrow on an Axiom should be the same place that a 20 inch arrow is on an Equinox. Just make sure weight of arrow is at least 350 grains.