Question for arrow enthusiasts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dithian

Question for arrow enthusiasts

Post by dithian »

Hi everyone! It's been a while since I've re-fletched an arrow, and I had forgotten the finesse of getting 2" Blazers to line up North-South in my Arizona EZ Fletch. Long story short, the 3 vanes on one arra are now somewhat staggered in height. Is it critical I cut and re-glue them, or is some front/back creative expression negligible? I know I can just shoot the arrow and see how it flies, but I'm curious to open the forum's opinion can 'o worms. Any opinions on the subject?
Boo

Re: Question for arrow enthusiasts

Post by Boo »

A picture would help greatly.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I do them one at a time on my jig and sometimes I don't line them up exact (one fletching ahead or little behind the other two) and I have not noticed a difference and I normally shoot out to 80 yards for fun. I am not as picky as some with arrows. Bow still shoots better than me. CHEERS!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Being out by 1/8 won't hurt anything at hunting distances. But if one vane is at the top of the arm and the other two are at the bottom resulting in 1/2 difference I think I'd redo them.
Actually, I'd redo them either way but that's just me. It's not that they wouldn't be accurate. It's that they wouldn't be consistent with the other arrows. One more thing to figure out is all
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have seen small length variations in several manufacturers vanes over the years. I make sure to push them to the bottom of the jig so that the widest part of the vanes are set the same distance. I also put the adhesive on the vanes while holding them in my hand to keep the glue off the jig. Before you strip the arrow shoot it, if it works then you have your answer.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
dithian

Post by dithian »

Boo wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:41 am
A picture would help greatly.

The total offset is 5/32". I won't be able to test the accuracy of it for a few days. It will be interesting to see how it behaves.
dithian

Post by dithian »

janesy wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:31 am

Actually, I'd redo them either way but that's just me. It's not that they wouldn't be accurate. It's that they wouldn't be consistent with the other arrows. One more thing to figure out is all
I'm not a fan of sloppy work, so I will probably redo it eventually. When there's time I will test it though, just out of curiosity.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I find it very easy to redo one or two fletching in the Arizona EZ

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

That would bug me to be sure. But I'd be surprised if out to 40 yards you'd see a difference.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

dithian wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:25 pm

The total offset is 5/32". I won't be able to test the accuracy of it for a few days. It will be interesting to see how it behaves.
Cutting it close! At 3/16 they turn into a boomerang and come back to you! :D

Shoot it and see, it'll be fine for the season I'm sure.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

janesy wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:21 pm
dithian wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:25 pm

Cutting it close! At 3/16 they turn into a boomerang and come back to you! :D

Shoot it and see, it'll be fine for the season I'm sure.
....When I first started making arras and using BLAZERS I made a good bunch like that....now that I have moved up to the Silent Knight SK-200's I have never had that problem....back to your arra....when i was off like you I did not know any difference in flight....i can say I enjoyed the arra flying like a knuckle ball....the deer didn't know whether to drop, jump, stay still or do the tarantella! :lol: :mrgreen:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
dithian

Post by dithian »

[/quote]

....When I first started making arras and using BLAZERS I made a good bunch like that....now that I have moved up to the Silent Knight SK-200's I have never had that problem....back to your arra....when i was off like you I did not know any difference in flight....i can say I enjoyed the arra flying like a knuckle ball....the deer didn't know whether to drop, jump, stay still or do the tarantella! :lol: :mrgreen:

[/quote]

:lol: Maybe if I make sidewinders I'll have better luck with shot placement? I've seen the deer in my neighborhood practicing the tarantella. Maybe I should put on some lute music before I take the shot, and put a tambourine on my bow.

What's the benefit of SK-200s over Blazers?
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

If this is happening to all you arrows I think you have a buildup of glue on that clip . you can remove the excess glue by soaking the jig in acetone for an hour or so . try to put the glue on the vane and then put in the clip . this will reduce the buildup on the jig .
W.M.
dithian

Post by dithian »

W.Miguire wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:26 pm
If this is happening to all you arrows I think you have a buildup of glue on that clip . you can remove the excess glue by soaking the jig in acetone for an hour or so . try to put the glue on the vane and then put in the clip . this will reduce the buildup on the jig .
W.M.
Thanks for the advice! I had actually forgotten that, when closing the jig, I need to make sure the vanes are seating at the bottom of the groove. I made this mistake before when I was first learning to fletch arrows, but it had been so long since I re-fletched that I needed to learn the lesson all over again. I will take the advice of gluing first, though. I was definitely gluing in the jig before, but I can see why your way is better.

Brandon
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

From what you've posted I don't think you should have to worry about that at all. I'm like some others have stated though I want all mine to match as perfectly as I can.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads