Maine is finally giving in!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

Re: Maine is finally giving in!!!!

Post by hunter with MS »

I got the disabled crossbow permit for Maine as I hunt just with a crossbow . I sent them my archery safety card my disabled permit from Mass and a few others took four months to get it .
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

bigrak wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:13 pm
There must be some sort of catch, as in a extra fee?
Surprisingly no🤣🤣🤣
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I think and I am not a Maine Resident you will still have to buy a crossbow licence or permit won't you ? Any way you look at it it is a step in the right direction .
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

amythntr wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:30 pm
.... what if you have hunted w a XB for years but your state does not distinguish between archery or CB in that all you apply for is a Bow license?

Anthony😀
Good Question! Here in Texas you don't need a permit. And I've hunted with an XB for years, would Maine honor that as legal? All you need is an "archery stamp" designation on your regular Texas hunting license to hunt with a Vert or XB. I wonder would an old license serve as proof of prior experience???? :think:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
Twignstring

Post by Twignstring »

AJ01 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:19 pm
amythntr wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:30 pm
.... what if you have hunted w a XB for years but your state does not distinguish between archery or CB in that all you apply for is a Bow license?

Anthony😀
Good Question! Here in Texas you don't need a permit. And I've hunted with an XB for years, would Maine honor that as legal? All you need is an "archery stamp" designation on your regular Texas hunting license to hunt with a Vert or XB. I wonder would an old license serve as proof of prior experience???? :think:
I've been looking in to this. And finally got an answer from the colonial at Maine warden service at department of inland fisheries and wildlife.
If your a non resident of Maine and have a crossbow endorsements on your home state license you can get a Maine crossbow permit.
If your state does not have a crossbow endorsements you will have to take Maine state crossbow safety course.
If you have taken and archery safety course to bow hunt in your state. And I doesn't have a section dedicated to crossbows. You will have to take a Maine crossbow course.
So if your from Texas. You need to take course if you never had to in Texas.
If from Massachusetts you have to take crossbow safety course in Maine. Even if using a disability permit for crossbow. You'll have to take the course.
And right now currently there's only 1 course available in the whole state. And its at the absolute top of Maine.
Way too far for most to travel.

Trust me fellas I had a heated argument over this the past couple days.
It sucks.
I'm contacting legislative office to talk with state officials to try and change this law.

I feel crossbow safety should be part of all archery safety courses. No need to separate the two from each other.

The broadband does the business end of things no matter how it got thrown!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

You would "think" that it (Maine) would, or could incorporate the endorsement for Xb's in a standard "Hunter Safety Course" applicable to ALL States or Providences. However, that would make sense, and as we all know, the laws are not supposed to make any sense! :wtf:

Having spent several decades in Law enforcement here in Texas, I can assure you that the vast majority of idiotic laws that hunters face come from those folks who don't have a clue as to the way the "real world works"!

Perhaps Maine will wake up once it realizes it's losing out of state money. :roll:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have a disability permit for Maine and I have a disability permit in Mass and with my permit for Maine it stated that I needed only to purchase the Crossbow lic, maybe because I have had the Mass permit since 2003 .
Twignstring

Post by Twignstring »

hunter with MS wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:06 pm
I have a disability permit for Maine and I have a disability permit in Mass and with my permit for Maine it stated that I needed only to purchase the Crossbow lic, maybe because I have had the Mass permit since 2003 .
Have you gotten a Maine crossbow permit since you got your disability permit in Maine?

I have a disability permit as well.
They still require that I took the crossbow course.
Funny thing is. I use to teach a crossbow course here in Maine.
They still had to check to see that I took the original course when got trained to be an instructor.
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

Now they should work on getting Sunday hunting passed!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

If the crossbow course is mandatory and they don't offer enough across the state then they should put it on online like they have some of the courses . That would be the fair thing to do. New York has a crossbow course you do it online .