Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Timbrhuntr

Re: Med body, small rack 8, bizarre twist - literally

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Species8472 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:43 pm

Shooting 125 grain Montec G5s
There's your problem just get a rage and your blood trails will wide and short lol
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Species8472 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:43 pm
gerald strine wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:13 am
Great job on the recovery it was worth the effort I would fry up that heart for the dog for his keen work.
Not sure what cause the arrow to kick directions perhaps one blade cought a rib at a funny angle causing a direction change or perhaps the deer started to turn at the shot we most likely will never know take pride in the end result.
He has a interesting rack buy the way pretty cool.
What broad head you shooting ?
Shooting 125 grain Montec G5s
The g 5 is a good head but only getting one lung you were lucky too recover it looks like the shot was a bit far back to start.
I think you did a great job on recovery as I have searched for many deer after dark and it is never easy or fun while searching until you see the white belly laying their, and the distance that deer went I bet it was a great feeling seeing it !
Congratulations on your harvest.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Congrats for you and the dog.
I have a standard poodle and believe it or not it is also a great tracker you sure should take the little bugger to the nearest pet shop and treat him.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Almost looked like a
Liver hit.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Riflemanz wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:45 pm
Almost looked like a
Liver hit.
That was my thought too when i first found it. Field dressing it though the liver was intact. That was one of the dog's treats - he got the liver and the heart. I am quite certain he enjoyed the recovery more than i did.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.... great story Joe.... thanks for taking us on the journey of your escapades...congratulations on your trophy and a hunt you will never forget....but most importantly, congrats to your, “mans best friend” for his laser retrieving capabilities... which clearly shows, “he’s got your back!”

.... well done brother! :thumbup:

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Congrats on the good recovery.
Where I hunt 800 yards is a long way and might as well be miles. How do you end up with a dog that retrieves like this? Is it a natural thing or training? I took a shot at one 2 years ago and it didn't bolt like it had been hit but I found no blood but with out a tracking dog I had no way to try to find it...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Patcon wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:13 pm
Where I hunt 800 yards is a long way and might as well be miles. How do you end up with a dog that retrieves like this? Is it a natural thing or training? I took a shot at one 2 years ago and it didn't bolt like it had been hit but I found no blood but with out a tracking dog I had no way to try to find it...
800 yards is a long way at my place as well - swamp and thick bush. The dog is mostly a natural. I think it is the Walker in him as they are born and bred to track and tree coons. He has a really good "hot" nose but if the trail is more than a day old it is problematic.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations Joe! You get a thumbs up for not giving up! :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Congrats and great job following up. :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Patcon wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:13 pm
I had an Australian Sheppard I trained to track deer I saved blood from a harvested deer when gutting and I would go out on weekends in the morning and lay out a sent trail with some blood on a rag and string and a sprits from a spray bottle once in a while , After sever hours I would bring out Dakota my Aussie and put him on my fake trail, I started out short and easy worked up to longer time, longer trails and less scent he never had much trouble .
I gave him nice treats and great praise after every run, I had to mark the trail with Toilet paper every so often setting up the scent trail so I could follow it but it easier than i thought it would be .
Dakota found several deer for sure that would have been lost for me , for a friend and I used to put Dakotas "card" on hunters cars until I got sick of getting haled out of my house 2 hours after dark on work nights to find deer but it was an experience I can remember fondly of Dakota he would be so full of burs and mud but smiling the biggest dog smile I was glad i went through it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
XB I GO

Post by XB I GO »

That's a cool deer!
chilly_willy

Post by chilly_willy »

Nice Job! :thumbup:
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats on your recovery, and your dog did an excellent job tracking I'd fix him a steak dinner lol.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Great tale and fantastic recovery!
Be damn proud of your fur kid!!

Mine sadly wondered off this spring.
He had collected well over a dozen "lost" deer in our heavy forests over his span.
Never failed.
They are an incredible asset, and a fine family member.

Congrats to you both! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."