Dental band breakdowns

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunter

Re: Dental band breakdowns

Post by nchunter »

Those are latex dental rings. Latex is easily degraded by chemicals (like if you spray your broadheads with WD40), ozone (are you using one of those Ozonics odor killers?), and UV (sunlight).

A more durable alternative would be silicone dental rings. You can buy a pack of them on Amazon for $9 in any color you want:

25pcs/Bag Large Type Dental Silicone Instrument Color Code Rings-Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVTZ8LU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WKPLDb8A2FWVK
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thanks ...that makes sense Anthony probably has the silicone
I copied your link
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
grouse

Post by grouse »

I know lots of people will disagree with me, but why add unnecessary risk to your hunt when there are lots of broadheads out there that don't require dental bands to prevent them from malfunctioning? I prefer fixed blades myself, but if I went to an expandable, it would have to be the most reliable one I could find that works all by itself.
axiom
350 SE
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

You will never need a rubber band on a excalibur xact cut .
A rubber band is really not needed on many of them at all. but it's just a precaution.
Why not use them ? Many of us have multiple crossbows and dont have time to tune them with a fixed blade
Let's take our bows out on a windy "nasty" day (the kind of day when the deer are rutting ) and we can shoot 30 yards plus and we will see whose group better.
The only fixed broadhead out there that is accurate enough for me and has an 1 1/2 cut is the ramcat....but they still dont compare to a expandable on a very windy day.
The safety factor of not having a fixed blade to jab anyone is also pretty good.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
grouse

Post by grouse »

longbow joe wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:25 pm
You will never need a rubber band on a excalibur xact cut .
A rubber band is really not needed on many of them at all. but it's just a precaution.
Why not use them ? Many of us have multiple crossbows and dont have time to tune them with a fixed blade
Let's take our bows out on a windy "nasty" day (the kind of day when the deer are rutting ) and we can shoot 30 yards plus and we will see whose group better.
The only fixed broadhead out there that is accurate enough for me and has an 1 1/2 cut is the ramcat....but they still dont compare to a expandable on a very windy day.
The safety factor of not having a fixed blade to jab anyone is also pretty good.
I don't want to be argumentative but it is fun to spar a little bit in a good natured way. First of all, your groups would probably always be better than mine, wind or calm. My ignorance about expandable blades is far greater than my knowledge because I have never shot one. That said, when I sight in with target points of the same weight, my slick tricks always hit the bullseye with either of my bows. As far as wind drift is concerned, the difference between most fixed blades and expandables seems like it would be miniscule. Most of the force exerted by the wind on an arrow should be on the shaft, with the difference in total surface area between arrows with the two broadhead types being tiny.

People should use whatever type of broadhead they have confidence in and I know that lots of them work great. I enjoy reading your posts and don't want to become your enemy. I just have a few observations I want to put out there.
axiom
350 SE
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

No offense taken at all .
In the original post you kind of inferred that they were more of a pain in the butt than they were worth that's all.
I just dont see putting a tiny rubber band around a head to be that much of a problem.
I have used fixed blades for years l have nothing against slick trick they have worked awsome for me.
Your right a well designed expandable should not open in flight but because our excaliburs are recurves the jolt is more than a wheel bow and we cover it with a extra band.
The xact made by excalibur is designed for our bows will not open..but we all seem to love experiments with others especially if you want a wide cut so the band is the simplest solution
It's funny that shooting a regular bow a 6 inch group would be exceptible at 30 yards but with a crossbow its not it's easy to start getting anal about our equipment.
I missed hunting yesterday because l pulled my back out and l am a little miserable also .
When l started the post l was simply asking for a better quality band l was not arguing expandables vs fixed at all
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

grouse wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:09 am
I know lots of people will disagree with me, but why add unnecessary risk to your hunt when there are lots of broadheads out there that don't require dental bands to prevent them from malfunctioning? I prefer fixed blades myself, but if I went to an expandable, it would have to be the most reliable one I could find that works all by itself.
Only once have I ever had a 125 grain Spitfire open prematurely.
The blades had never been opened, new right out of the pack.
Of course it happened on a nice mature whitetail buck - at 40 yards.
Missed by the proverbial mile... thankfully!

So, now I band them all as a consequence.
Probably not necessary, but for the minute amount of effort required, the peace of mind is well worth it IMHO.

As for why I use mechanicals - they shoot into the same hole as my field points do, under any and all conditions, and right out to 100 yards.
No fixed blade will ever do that.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
xpert1111

Post by xpert1111 »

Are the bands fresh? they do not last long and are susceptible to dry rot.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

nchunter wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:03 pm
Those are latex dental rings. Latex is easily degraded by chemicals (like if you spray your broadheads with WD40), ozone (are you using one of those Ozonics odor killers?), and UV (sunlight).

A more durable alternative would be silicone dental rings. You can buy a pack of them on Amazon for $9 in any color you want:

25pcs/Bag Large Type Dental Silicone Instrument Color Code Rings-Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LVTZ8LU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WKPLDb8A2FWVK
.....$9/25....ouch :eusa-doh: ! I rather double band my Spits and change them every year or two...that's just me!.....however, it is nice to know there is an alternative out there.....thanks for the link! :thumbup:

Anthony :D
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
grouse

Post by grouse »

amythntr wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:52 am
nchunter wrote:

.....$9/25....ouch :eusa-doh: ! I rather double band my Spits and change them every year or two...that's just me!.....however, it is nice to know there is an alternative out there.....thanks for the link! :thumbup:

Another $.36 to add more confidence to an arrow and broadhead that already costs $20.00 +. Who would spend that!
axiom
350 SE
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

grouse wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:43 am
amythntr wrote:
nchunter wrote:

Another $.36 to add more confidence to an arrow and broadhead that already costs $20.00 +. Who would spend that!
....possibly more when you fator in Lummy's and BH....that's why I double band and have enough on hand to change every year :eusa-dance:
....plus I honestly do not believe they open up (Spit's) if one does not open and close the blades to show their friends. :thumbdown: :eusa-naughty:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

amythntr wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:11 pm
grouse wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:43 am
amythntr wrote:

....possibly more when you fator in Lummy's and BH....that's why I double band and have enough on hand to change every year :eusa-dance:
....plus I honestly do not believe they open up (Spit's) if one does not open and close the blades to show their friends. :thumbdown: :eusa-naughty:

That used to be true Anthony but the last two packs of spitfires I bought had blades fall open when I took them out of the unopened package and no satisfaction from NAP. I have a very old 2 blade spitfire that has been opened and closed hundreds of times that uses the same dimple shim process and can shoot it still from any bow with out fear of premature opening. Feradyne has gone the way of China. I am done with anything from Feradyne.

I miss the good ole days. :(
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....bcxbow....where did you purchase yours...i have bought mine from Dicks online and have not had a problem with them to date....
.....just curious :eusa-think:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

I actually purchased them from NAP because I had heard there were problems since the buyout and wanted to make sure I didn’t get knockoffs lol
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Bcxbow wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:03 pm
I actually purchased them from NAP because I had heard there were problems since the buyout and wanted to make sure I didn’t get knockoffs lol
....wow they got bought out too? :thumbdown: ....I will have to inspect the ones I bought that are still in the package....thanks for the heads up! :thumbup:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings