Saddle Hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Onetimeonly x-->

Saddle Hunting

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Anyone have any experience hunting out of a saddle with their Excalibur? Waiting on my order from Tethrd to arrive, Thanks.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
longbow joe

Re: Saddle Hunting

Post by longbow joe »

It looks cool but l like the comfy of my treestands. Maby if I was younger.
Please report your finds .Hope it works for you.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Onetimeonly x-->

longbow joe wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 pm
It looks cool but l like the comfy of my treestands. Maby if I was younger.
Please report your finds .Hope it works for you.
Check this out Joe, understanding it's one man's opinion.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gVvWoOwX-bc
Wabi Custom Calls
Godspeed!!
Scott
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Definitely a cool option. With my condition being what it is I'm pretty much a ground pounder these days, but for someone fairly fit, this would be a light weight option to be very mobile when hunting new places, or just wanting to be able to move quickly & quietly. Hope it works well for you, sure would like to read how you like it. :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I used to spend hours in 16"×19" Baker mighty might climber .l hugged the tree getting up and down .l had a 6 inch screw in seat for "comfort". I'm sure the saddle isn't any worse than that.
Can you pee from it .? Lol.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

my buddy says his is very comfortable... much better than a chair
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
Onetimeonly x-->

Here's a longtime saddle hunter from my state, interesting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4FFDUq_bh6A#
Wabi Custom Calls
Godspeed!!
Scott
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

My best friend just did his first two hunts from one. He is very very impressed, he puts it on before he leaves camp so all he is carrying is three ladder sections and bow. Said he is up the tree in minutes and very comfortable. A couple of things he says the foot platform is a must ( doesn't have that yet ) and knee pads are also, I guees it presses knees into tree. I will say that he hunts with a recurve but said a crossbow would be possible but you would be shooting offhand with no rest. Damn things are expensive but can take the place of a lot of regular stands. Also if ya get one and don't like it you will have no problem getting all your money back selling, said he waited around two months for his to be delivered.
Onetimeonly x-->

Joe, I had one of those Slim Jim Baker stands. I'll never forget when I went to make sure the base was set into the tree only to watch it ratchet down the tree, leaving me hanging from the hand climber. Thinking crap, I'm gonna have to wrap my bare arms around the tree and slip down. Now I'm at the base of the tree bleeding looking up at my hand climber. Needless to say I lost a few to many hands of poker and gladly paid it out as part of my losses.

No way am I here promoting a saddle company. Tethrd seems to have it going on, yes there is a wait on their products. Pretty much all in, saddle, platform and everything I feel I may need. Gonna be a new approach for me but looking forward to scouting, setting up on active sign and flinging some arrows. Thanks all for the replies.
Wabi Custom Calls
Godspeed!!
Scott
Twignstring

Post by Twignstring »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:24 am

Good choice on the tethered!
I've been doing a bit of research on saddle hunting. But after figuring the cost and the long wait for delivery. And then other climbing gear like steps or climbing rope. I decided on a summit climbing tree stand instead. The 4th one I've owned. (For now).
I am thinking of just making a home made one from a sit drag and use rock climbing harness.
I think I want to try using a rope and doing DRT (double rope tech.). It looks like a lot of work though. Been watching U tube videos of Ny saddle hunters. They seem to have some good rope climbing techniques.
Have you decided how your going to climb the tree?
Onetimeonly x-->

Twignstring wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:12 pm
Onetimeonly x--> wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:24 am

Good choice on the tethered!
I've been doing a bit of research on saddle hunting. But after figuring the cost and the long wait for delivery. And then other climbing gear like steps or climbing rope. I decided on a summit climbing tree stand instead. The 4th one I've owned. (For now).
I am thinking of just making a home made one from a sit drag and use rock climbing harness.
I think I want to try using a rope and doing DRT (double rope tech.). It looks like a lot of work though. Been watching U tube videos of Ny saddle hunters. They seem to have some good rope climbing techniques.
Have you decided how your going to climb the tree?
I have a few sets of short climbing sticks from prior setups I'm gonna use. Thinking of hunting a local public piece near me that has the undergrowth grown tremendously. Hoping the saddle approach can get me into spots i would normally not hunt, thick as in carrying stands and all. Another thing which is good is I won't be leaving my gear on state land for the not so good hunters to do their shopping! Lost a lot of gear over the years to thieves, good luck with your project!
Wabi Custom Calls
Godspeed!!
Scott
DMc

Post by DMc »

Hopefully I can add something to this thread. I am an arborist and have spent the last 50 years making a living climbing trees, hanging from a rope and harness. If done correctly, it is a good, safe way to get into a tree, offers excellent fall protection and mobility. Once the climbing technique has been learned, you will able to hunt, safely, from trees of all types.

The acronym DRT has been mentioned as a means of climbing. It is currently being referred to as MRS, a moving rope system. What this does is give the climber a 2:1 mechanical advantage for hauling yourself up. Placing a rope over a high limb and attaching the other end, second leg, to your harness does this. All you need then is a friction hitch, like a prusic that will hold your weight but slide up the rope as you pull down on the first leg.

Now there are many ways to set up and use a system like this, it is worth an internet search to see some of these. It can be a lot of work, even with its, theoretical, 2:1 advantage or very easy when using your legs instead of your arms with a tool called a foot ascender.

You can climb the tree to set your rope but the most common method is to toss a weight on a lightweight line over a high, strong limb first and using that to pull your climbing line up and over the TIP (tie in point). Once you have located a good TIP you can leave a black, small line in that location when you get out of the tree. With both ends on the ground and pulled tight, it should be virtually invisible, but will make getting back up there much easier and not risk the loss of expensive equipment from thieves.
Onetimeonly x-->

DMc wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:28 pm
Hopefully I can add something to this thread. I am an arborist and have spent the last 50 years making a living climbing trees, hanging from a rope and harness. If done correctly, it is a good, safe way to get into a tree, offers excellent fall protection and mobility. Once the climbing technique has been learned, you will able to hunt, safely, from trees of all types.

The acronym DRT has been mentioned as a means of climbing. It is currently being referred to as MRS, a moving rope system. What this does is give the climber a 2:1 mechanical advantage for hauling yourself up. Placing a rope over a high limb and attaching the other end, second leg, to your harness does this. All you need then is a friction hitch, like a prusic that will hold your weight but slide up the rope as you pull down on the first leg.

Now there are many ways to set up and use a system like this, it is worth an internet search to see some of these. It can be a lot of work, even with its, theoretical, 2:1 advantage or very easy when using your legs instead of your arms with a tool called a foot ascender.

You can climb the tree to set your rope but the most common method is to toss a weight on a lightweight line over a high, strong limb first and using that to pull your climbing line up and over the TIP (tie in point). Once you have located a good TIP you can leave a black, small line in that location when you get out of the tree. With both ends on the ground and pulled tight, it should be virtually invisible, but will make getting back up there much easier and not risk the loss of expensive equipment from thieves.
Awesome, many thanks.
Wabi Custom Calls
Godspeed!!
Scott
DMc

Post by DMc »

Hahaha! Sorry, onetimeonly. I just watched your linked video and it covers everything I just said very well.

Just be aware that hip-thrusting can be harder for some people. Don't be afraid of using a foot ascender if that is what you need.
OnetimeonlyX—>

Post by OnetimeonlyX—> »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:57 pm
Anyone have any experience hunting out of a saddle with their Excalibur? Waiting on my order from Tethrd to arrive, Thanks.
Update..

I’m now two years into using a saddle, currently using the Tethrd Phantom. I’m days away from the young age of 61. Honestly this has become my preferred method of hunting when in a tree, your bow rests across the bridge basically hands free. Totally mobile with ability to adapt to changing deer movement at any given time. If your thinking of trying a saddle I would recommend, once your familiar with your gear your good to go.

https://youtu.be/8iT9NRTfUYY

https://youtu.be/mehxdLgzfx0
Micro Nightmare 335 (Gen1)
Matrix 355
Matrix 380
Bulldog 440
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR