Sighting In At Short Yardage

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mnlc90

Sighting In At Short Yardage

Post by Mnlc90 »

I have to shoot in my basement and can only get 18 yds. Should this be equal to 20 when sighting in? Should I be slightly high with my 20 yd mark?
janesy

Re: Sighting In At Short Yardage

Post by janesy »

Mnlc90 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:29 pm
I have to shoot in my basement and can only get 18 yds. Should this be equal to 20 when sighting in? Should I be slightly high with my 20 yd mark?
I only have 15 yards. So for initial sight in, I have my traditional zeros marked on the target. That way I can hit it 2" high at 15 and then fine tune immediately at 27zero or whatever
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
2019 Bulldog 440

Post by 2019 Bulldog 440 »

Mnlc90 wrote:
WTH. Your basement is big enough to allow you to sight in your bow at 18yards? Do you live in a mansion? That’s some crazy space. 18 yards in a basement. I sure would love to live in your house. 😂
Own:
2019 Bulldog 440 MOBUC
2020 MAG 340 Kryptec Raid
Wish:
to have the rest of the newer 2020 Excalibur crossbow’s with QLT. :eusa-violin:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

2019 Bulldog 440 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:16 am
Mnlc90 wrote:
WTH. Your basement is big enough to allow you to sight in your bow at 18yards? Do you live in a mansion? That’s some crazy space. 18 yards in a basement. I sure would love to live in your house. 😂
.... same here.... I think I have about 4 yards

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
janesy

Post by janesy »

Start digging fellas!

Forgot to mention mines 15Y in my basement too.
But I have a bungalow.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

janesy wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:56 pm
Start digging fellas!

But I have a bungalow.
I don't live in a bungalow. I have a 5 level Back-Split and I too have at least 15 yards in my basement. A 26 ft. Rec. room and a 12 ft. lower basement storage room.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Mnlc90 wrote:
Without knowing your setup, here are some generalizations from my 400gr setup coming out of a 335 Micro.

AT 0 yds my arrow is about 2" below the scope, so 2" low.
My "near zero" where the arrow crosses the line of sight while going up is at about 5 yards.
The max height above line of sight is about 1.25" and happens at about 15 yards.
Then at 20 yards it it dead on.

So swagging.....about a 1/2" to 3/4" high at 18 yards should be real close to a 20 yard zero.....assuming you have similar ballistics. If your bow is significantly faster or you arrow is significantly heavier or lighter or with much less or more FOC things will differ.

IMO you really need to find someplace where you can shoot at a farther distance to really dial it in.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

ComfyBear wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:26 am
janesy wrote:
Start digging fellas!

But I have a bungalow.
I don't live in a bungalow. I have a 5 level Back-Split and I too have at least 15 yards in my basement. A 26 ft. Rec. room and a 12 ft. lower basement storage room.
I thought I was the only one with 5 levels....called an extended split....we have a nice sized family room and 4 bedrooms....but I still only have about 5-6 yards in the basement....unless I stand on the washer and dryer....ah,I just realized....If I stood with my back to the front wall and shot over the K-I-T-C-H-E-N island into the family room and out the sliding doors onto my deck....I would have about 25 yards.....except, in The People's Republic of New Jersey the Police would be on me like stink on....well you know what! :eusa-doh: :eusa-naughty:

Anthony :mrgreen:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

janesy wrote:
Start digging fellas!

But I have a bungalow.
I must live in a pretty fancy bungalow as well. I have 25 yards but to shoot that would risk my family jewels or end up with a bald spot on the back of my head. For some reason, Karin had a aversion to holes in doors and walls. Go figure! :wtf:
Eighteen yards is a good start but only for the initial sight in. You'll have to correct at 20 later because it is your baseline for other yardages.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Boo wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:47 am
janesy wrote:
Start digging fellas!

But I have a bungalow.
I must live in a pretty fancy bungalow as well. I have 25 yards but to shoot that would risk my family jewels or end up with a bald spot on the back of my head. For some reason, Karin had a aversion to holes in doors and walls. Go figure! :wtf:
Eighteen yards is a good start but only for the initial sight in. You'll have to correct at 20 later because it is your baseline for other yardages.
I'm with you Don, I get that response from SHOOTING a bad stare in my house! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Boo

Post by Boo »

xcaliber wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:55 am
Boo wrote:
janesy wrote:
Start digging fellas!

But I have a bungalow.
I'm with you Don, I get that response from SHOOTING a bad stare in my house! :lol: :lol:
It burns doesn't it? :lol: :lol: :lol: I found it best to look down as not to damage my eyes :eusa-naughty:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good advice! :shh:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
janesy wrote:
Start digging fellas!

But I have a bungalow.
After living here for 4+ years now, I finally out an arrow into the wall a couple months ago. Arrow was a total loss haha.
I shoot PAST my wife's maytags. So I have to make Sure the doors are firmly closed. That one in certain will not end well for me
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Mnlc90

Post by Mnlc90 »

Thanks for all the advice.

I took the advice I saw on the site. I was out yesterday and before my hunt, I sighted in at a true 20 yd distance, then moved the bag out to 40 yds and estimated my speed (this is due to Gen II limbs and Zombie Slayer arrows). Figuring my 20 yd sight will not changed much, I then used the speed adjustment to dial in at 40 yds (330 was the speed that worked). Once sighted in using the speed dial, I then came back to 20 yds, and BAM!, right on.

When I came home, I shot the bow in my 18 yd basement range and it was, as has been indicated, about 1.5 inches high when using my 20 yd sight.

Turned out my biggest issue was really dialing in on the speed of the bow.
Mnlc90

Post by Mnlc90 »

Correction, about an 1'' high at 18 yds.