My swhacker experience

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: My swhacker experience

Post by xcaliber »

Let me say that my experience ended while using vertical bow, a Hoyt at 28" draw set to 68 pounds at 12 yards. Dead deer, no blood for about 35 yards, then tons of blood. Luckily I seen the path the deer took, so no biggie, and it was about 8:45 AM, so no rush either. Arrow did a great job, just not complete pass thru. This was in 2012. The apprentice quit using them last year, some pass thru results, some not. He has a Martin that shoots 341 FPS, 72# draw, 31" draw length, he's a big boy! Never tried them with a crossbow! Never lost a deer that we got a good hit on either. :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!

Post by newbie »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:13 am
Let me say that my experience ended while using vertical bow, a Hoyt at 28" draw set to 68 pounds at 12 yards. Dead deer, no blood for about 35 yards, then tons of blood. Luckily I seen the path the deer took, so no biggie, and it was about 8:45 AM, so no rush either. Arrow did a great job, just not complete pass thru. This was in 2012. The apprentice quit using them last year, some pass thru results, some not. He has a Martin that shoots 341 FPS, 72# draw, 31" draw length, he's a big boy! Never tried them with a crossbow! Never lost a deer that we got a good hit on either. :eusa-popcorn:
What kind of shot placement on your deer? Ive had hunks of fat completely block off exit holes using slicks. Not a drop of blood on the ground.
What stopped the arrow? Unless heavy bone is hit i dont see how it would be any different then say other over the top heads as the likes of spitfires. Was bow was out of tune didnt have time in flight to get stabilized? Im not a vertical guy but been reading today thats on of the first questions that guys ask when they say poor penetration and ask of paper tuned. :eusa-popcorn:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Always paper tuned our bows, I only used them one season, and one deer. Kid uses them still. My hit was quartering towards me and entered right behind front leg, did clip the shoulder but not the bone , the back lung was pierced and about 3” of arrow sticking out.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Might add that my vertical bow arrows were about 354 total grains.

Post by newbie »

xcaliber wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:35 pm
Might add that my vertical bow arrows were about 354 total grains.
Well thats weird. I'll let you guys know if i ever have issues with them. They work too good for me to even think of switching at this point. Hit where i aim drop deer fast awesome blood trails.
The neighbours kid I have been helping teach the ropes has a weird shot with a wasp jackhammer i believe. Shot was from an elevated stand 30 yards. Hit deer high and just nicked the bottom of spine. Head made it to the hide but not through on offside but higher then entrance. How does a head hit spine with one blade end up going higher when shot 20 ft above?
I had my son bloodhounding for us with those kids super eyes. We tracked it drop here rub on branch there. He made it 180 yards or so with rhee both tops of lungs punched. Never seen such a small bodied buck. He was the size of a yearling with a 7 point rack.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have heard stories of the jackhammers not performing well on the quartering away and to shots.
It looks like a good design to me you cant take word for some of this stuff.
Every broadhead has a loyal following it seems.
The old wasp cam locks of the 80s and 90s killed a ton of deer for me.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shot 2 deer with 2" swhackers. Older green ones. One was quartering away and I hit right at the back rib and out near the shoulder. ABout 30 yds. BH was buried too deep in a tree to remove. The other one was a small doe where I hit a bit high and clipped the spine. I was on a hill above the deer. Deer dropped in it's tracks but the arrow was still in it. But I also had one open on me with my Vortex when practicing. Final tune up and I think I only had 1 band on as it is designed. Missed the whole she-bang by about 2 feet and luckily nothing else was damaged and no one hurt. Left a nice scar on the stirrup. That was it for me. I know I could "fix it" but the Al ferrules and such are not my favorites either. The head that hit the spine of that deer was pretty trashed. ANd you know me....I liked fixed. Keep it simple. If I can make them fly right then why not is my philosophy. As for performance....I had a 5 point come in and bust me Friday morning. When I got the bow up he was about 15 yards slightly uphill and facing me. Being confident in my equipment and abilities, I put it on his chest and fired. He went about 20 yards up the hill, turned and dropped. Blood everywhere. Arrow was a 16" GT Nitro Pro, 60 gr brass insert, 50gr extra weight, NuFletch Igniter (which didn't "ignite") and blazers. 125gr Slick Trick Mag. Right at 500ish grains out of my Micro 355. Into the chest just right of the brisket, out through the left ham just under the tail. Now that is a complete pass thru. LOL.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Good stuff Keith :thumbup:
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings