Washing camo

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Robinsons Rebel

Washing camo

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Do you wash your camo clothing in scent free detergent, use your own concoction or don't worry about it?
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
bobcattrapper

Re: Washing camo

Post by bobcattrapper »

I wash mine in wildlife research laundry soap in cold water. I then hang dry .Before I go hunting in early fall I will spray them all with sawyer permithern spray and hang tell dry.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I use Wildlife Research soap as well, and dry mine with the autumn scent dryer sheets. Seems to work well for me, but I play the wind every time out.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:55 pm
Do you wash your camo clothing in scent free detergent, use your own concoction or don't worry about it?
Using Dead Down Wind detergent now because it was the cheapest at WalMart of all of them in the Sporting Goods Dept. I prefer a liquid detergent. A bottle will last quite a while and it is gentle on the clothes.

After a hunt I hang all my hunting clothes outside overnight to air out if I am not washing them, i.e. camo coveralls.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I just wash with a small amount of regular detergent and baking soda.
After they are done they hang outside for 3 days and all detergent smells go away.AGood permethrin spray, Then they go in a giant duffel bag full of various leaves and dried plants from the local woods.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I use arm and hammer scent free sensitive skin detergent year round and hang clothes on a rack on my open covered porch.
No scent lock clothes used but i wash my body with hunter specialty sent free soap green color and try to use the wind to advantage as best as i can. You can drive yourself nuts and spent all kinds of money trying to play the scent control game but the simple steps I take are as far as I am going to go.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I got some Primos control Freak scent free detergent from a clearance aisle late last year.
It's useless. Has the strongest detergent smell, maybe not scented, but definately smells like detergent
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:31 pm
I got some Primos control Freak scent free detergent from a clearance aisle late last year.
It's useless. Has the strongest detergent smell, maybe not scented, but definately smells like detergent
Chris, it says the scent right on the bottle, Control Freak, the rest is scent free. :lol: :lol:
I have found that if I keep a bottle of any brand that I have tried over to next year, it stinks! I don't know what that is, but it tells me the stuff has an expiration period. That might be the issue, you got an old bottle. I starting doing this about 6 years ago, maybe longer. At the end of the hunting season, I toss my detergents, soaps, dryer sheets, and scent killer spray that I keep in the truck. I have detected an odor in every one of those products after one year.
I do like Dead Down Wind products too.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I totally don't worry about it. After climbing 250ft in elevation to my stands, the scent of my clothing is the least of my issues. Prior to the hunt I'm sure my camo is spring flower fresh. :lol:
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

DuckHunt wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:40 pm
I totally don't worry about it. After climbing 250ft in elevation to my stands, the scent of my clothing is the least of my issues. Prior to the hunt I'm sure my camo is spring flower fresh. :lol:
Play the wind. :thumbup:
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

I've heard of people using regular detergent that is scent and dye free. Anybody using that?
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:21 pm
Robinsons Rebel wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:55 pm
Using Dead Down Wind detergent now because it was the cheapest at WalMart of all of them in the Sporting Goods Dept. I prefer a liquid detergent. A bottle will last quite a while and it is gentle on the clothes.

After a hunt I hang all my hunting clothes outside overnight to air out if I am not washing them, i.e. camo coveralls.
Bill
Same here! After washing outside they go! Clothes, boots, hats you name it! If it stays in your home, it gathers "smells" no matter how clean you think your place is!!
And PLAY THE WIND...Always!! :thumbup:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

For as long as I can remember. 2 big scoops of baking soda. Air dry on clothes line, inside out so sun doesn't fade camo.

If can't porch air , I'll have fresh pine branches or sage depending on my hunts. And store before hunt in big plastic zip lock bags.
nchunter

Post by nchunter »

I use a scoop of TSP (trisodium phosphate) and a scoop of baking soda.

The TSP is cheap and odorless, and good at removing oils (like human sweat oils), and the baking soda deodorizes.
Rubicon1000

Post by Rubicon1000 »

I use scent a-way natural earth scent laundry soap and deodorant. I like Dead down wind Evolve 3D scent killer spray natural outdoor scent.
I keep my hunting clothes in a scent blocker hunting bag with earth scent dryer sheets and doing that and paying attention to the wind seems to work pretty good. I very seldom get busted but my hunting buddy doesn't use anything to cover his scent and he gets busted quite often. I've heard deer blowing at him in the morning when it's still dark out and his stand is a quarter mile away from me. Funny how far away you can hear them giving him a hard time.
I always have a couple stands out and I try to get the wind figured out before I decide which one I'm gonna hunt unless it's full on rut then I'll hunt the one that's looking over the soybean fields and not worry about it.
Mega 405 and a matrix 330.