My thinking

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

My thinking

Post by xcaliber »

Got a call yesterday from the apprentice. His buddy moved out of state for a career change, he hunts his grandparents farm. He told us we can hunt next weekend which is the gun season opener. Apprentice has the rule and said I can bow hunt if I want to take a doe, but no doe with gun even though it’s legal. He doesn’t want to spook any bucks. Now I never hunted this place so I’m going in cold other than google earth scouting. I can take my .308 or .44 magnum rifle which I like better since it is a single shot. I can only shoot a buck with gun, or wait until Sunday to pop a doe! I’m leaning towards the Axe, am I crazy not to gun hunt?
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Timbrhuntr

Re: My thinking

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I haven't gun hunted in well over 20 years my buddy in Ky invited me for a half price rifle rut hunt (he owns a hunting outfitting company) but I declined so I know what I would use . :mrgreen:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I crossbow hunt all year dan dosnt bother me one bit
It's just a matter of how bad you want a buck.
If l was in a crowded place with lots a hunters l would carry the gun but my place is pretty secure so I'm not worried about tracking before it gets blasted by some one else.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:02 pm
Got a call yesterday from the apprentice. His buddy moved out of state for a career change, he hunts his grandparents farm. He told us we can hunt next weekend which is the gun season opener. Apprentice has the rule and said I can bow hunt if I want to take a doe, but no doe with gun even though it’s legal. He doesn’t want to spook any bucks. Now I never hunted this place so I’m going in cold other than google earth scouting. I can take my .308 or .44 magnum rifle which I like better since it is a single shot. I can only shoot a buck with gun, or wait until Sunday to pop a doe! I’m leaning towards the Axe, am I crazy not to gun hunt?
Dan I have been putting a considerable amount of time and effort into a farm I have access to in the past year. All set up for the archery season. This past week. Nov 4-8 was our first of 2 controlled shotgun hunts.
Last couple years I haven't paid it much attention, waiting it out for archery to start again. This year, I got set up with a guy who I really wanted to get his first deer. So we started to hunt more and setup better with the shogun's. Wednesday Thursday and Friday the temps dropped and snow came. Every deer in the area got up and started walking. Many deer were taken by lots of groups

Go for it, I had gotten away from gun hunting, but you know, we had a blast and there are more deer in the freezer for it. My buddy did not get his, but another buddy got a nice doe.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Well we found out today that the neighbor East of us has a total of 4 family members hunting his land and they gun hunt with 3 doe tags each and 1 buck tag each. The kid is mulling it over on what we’re going to do. I’m fine with anything he decides. The good thing is that he also prefers bow hunting, so we’ll see. His main concern is that we don’t get skunked.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I feel that no bad decision can be made as a hunter to is up to you as to the method used.
If it was my choice and I did not have enough Venison to last the year in the freezer yet I would hunt with my favored firearm as the gun season is short and I have just spent the last month with my bow but I love my firearms also and enjoy using them.
And here in MI bow season picks up again after the 2 week fire arm season.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

One place I hunt is surrounded by several large farms/ranches. I've been able to talk most of the surrounding owners/hunters into bow hunting only, or leasing to bow hunters only!.
This year, a ranch about a mile down the road, leased to a bunch of rifle hunters. Right before bow season, all you could hear was 4-wheelers and shots being fired all hours of the blasted day!. :thumbdown:
Opening day of bow season came and we had deer everywhere! Most of the bucks had gone nocturnal from all the neighboring hooligans antics, but the does were still plentiful. They are mighty tasty!! :thumbup:
Still waiting on all the hunters over there to get cold and go home! :lol:

I think it boils down to doing what you like the most. People all around you make choices on their own without your input.
If you want to bow hunt only...do so! And be proud of the fact you made that choice!
If you choose to gun hunt, that too is your prerogative, hunt be all means! And enjoy every moment of it.
We only get so many trips around the sun, make the most of every one of them!

Just my humble opinion!
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

One of the properties I hunt is withing a brisk walk to the province's largest and most active gun clubs. Police re-certs every Tuesday LOL. The deer around here are numb to gunfire, it's a part of their routine every single day.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I’m going to take the Axe Saturday, and then my .44 magnum single shot rifle Sunday. That’s my plan I think. :thumbup:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Sticking with my plan, the kid has wavered a few times, and told me I'll find out in the morning what he loads in the truck! :lol: :lol: :shock: