Doing Something right!! (Updated!!)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Doing Something right!! (Updated!!)

Post by ko4nrbs »

Just got settled into my Ameristep 2 Man chair blind when a deer, probably a doe, walked right in front of me at 6 yards. Had just got my two decoys out and the Primos Waggin Whitetail. Wouldn't you know it would be too dark to shoot or see if it reacted to the decoys. It just walked along stopping a couple of times to nibble at something on the ground then crossed the downed fence. The full moon lit the deer up some but I couldn't tell if it was a doe or a buck. If it had come along about 15 minutes or so later I would of had enough light to shoot!! :x

It walked right over where I had traveled to and from the decoy spot. With it being so close I was surprised it didn't smell me but the wind was in my favor for once. Hard to hunt the wind in this spot with a creek, deep ravine and steep hill. I never know what the wind will bring. I've had it change directions up to 3 times in my 5 hour sit. I did have my little container of Fresh Earth wafers open sitting in one of the blind's cup holders and had sprayed the area down well with desenter.

Had almost slept in instead of going hunting. Glad I didn't and miss an experience like this one. Been nice to get a shot but I always get a kick out of seeing deer no matter if I get one or not.

Hunting this corridor is tough. I never know what the day may bring. So many variables in this area that can change their patterns. It's a subdivision with people doing their fall leaf work now so many chances for the deer to be forced out of the area.

As a wise hunter posted a few days ago, Hunt Every Chance You Get!!
Bill
Last edited by ko4nrbs on Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
xcaliber

Re: Doing Something right!!

Post by xcaliber »

I never killed one in my house, NEVER! :lol: :lol:

I too enjoy seeing deer up close, it means you're in the right spot, and you don't stink! :thumbup: Keep at it Bill, it's gonna happen!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Prmtvbowman22

Post by Prmtvbowman22 »

It always amazes me when an animal as aware of its surroundings doesn't realize I'm right above it especially when it looks up at me and then continues going about its business as I sit dead still. Keep at it and success will come. Mui
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have hunted 64 evenings this season lm on my 6th doe .l gave 5 of them to people who really appreciate the meat.
I have not seen a buck yet that l want to use my buck tag on and l dont care as long as l see deer when I'm out.
I'm loving every day of my season. I knock off work every day at 2 it's like a vacation with pay just so l pay the Bill's and get to hunt l guess l can say "l am rich " just in non monetary form!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

xcaliber wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:47 pm

I too enjoy seeing deer up close, it means you're in the right spot, and you don't stink! :thumbup: Keep at it Bill, it's gonna happen!
Me neither but my brother in law built his house in a wooded area and the deer travel through his backyard. Several years as he sat having breakfast one would wander by. He slides open the patio door and bang deer down. Closes door finishes eating then goes and drags it into the heated garage lol
I have a buddy in Michigan that has the same deal he set up one of those beams that when you walk through it it sends an alarm. He just sits there watching tv or whatever and when the chime goes off he looks out the window and sees what is crossing he is getting up there in age so he only shoots the little lighter ones lol

As far as them getting close I was sitting a couple days ago with the buck decoy out and a small buck walked up from behind me . He stopped about 10 feet from me staring hard at the decoy. Then he turned and looked directly at me. It took a second for him to realize what he was looking at lol
ko4nrbs

Re: Doing Something right!! (Updated!!)

Post by ko4nrbs »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:22 pm
Just got settled into my Ameristep 2 Man chair blind when a deer, probably a doe, walked right in front of me at 6 yards. Had just got my two decoys out and the Primos Waggin Whitetail. Wouldn't you know it would be too dark to shoot or see if it reacted to the decoys. It just walked along stopping a couple of times to nibble at something on the ground then crossed the downed fence. The full moon lit the deer up some but I couldn't tell if it was a doe or a buck. If it had come along about 15 minutes or so later I would of had enough light to shoot!! :x

It walked right over where I had traveled to and from the decoy spot. With it being so close I was surprised it didn't smell me but the wind was in my favor for once. Hard to hunt the wind in this spot with a creek, deep ravine and steep hill. I never know what the wind will bring. I've had it change directions up to 3 times in my 5 hour sit. I did have my little container of Fresh Earth wafers open sitting in one of the blind's cup holders and had sprayed the area down well with desenter.

Had almost slept in instead of going hunting. Glad I didn't and miss an experience like this one. Been nice to get a shot but I always get a kick out of seeing deer no matter if I get one or not.

Hunting this corridor is tough. I never know what the day may bring. So many variables in this area that can change their patterns. It's a subdivision with people doing their fall leaf work now so many chances for the deer to be forced out of the area.

As a wise hunter posted a few days ago, Hunt Every Chance You Get!!
Bill
This is the deer that walked in front of me yesterday. Note the time. I get settled into my Ground Blind around 6am or so.
The camera is on a small tree 6 yards in front of me aimed down the trail he is on.
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:15 am
xcaliber wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Me neither but my brother in law built his house in a wooded area and the deer travel through his backyard. Several years as he sat having breakfast one would wander by. He slides open the patio door and bang deer down. Closes door finishes eating then goes and drags it into the heated garage lol
I have a buddy in Michigan that has the same deal he set up one of those beams that when you walk through it it sends an alarm. He just sits there watching tv or whatever and when the chime goes off he looks out the window and sees what is crossing he is getting up there in age so he only shoots the little lighter ones lol

As far as them getting close I was sitting a couple days ago with the buck decoy out and a small buck walked up from behind me . He stopped about 10 feet from me staring hard at the decoy. Then he turned and looked directly at me. It took a second for him to realize what he was looking at lol
Those are priceless moments!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!