Does attracting Bucks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

Does attracting Bucks

Post by ko4nrbs »

Since late October I have seen 4 different bucks traveling through my buddy’s place. Earlier just saw does and fawns. There is not a large doe population in this area that I am aware of. Was wondering if bucks will come around for just a handful of does? This area is mostly large subdivisions with 3 to 5 acre lot’s. Lot’s of inaccessible land though due to a creek and a very steep hill as well as Interstate 44 right of way. Maybe there are does on adjacent properties I am not seeing?

Trail Cameras don’t lie so I am at a loss as to why such a small area has drawn 4 bucks attention. One of the bucks is allusive and camera shy but have seen enough partial pictures of him to know he is huge.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
XB I GO

Re: Does attracting Bucks

Post by XB I GO »

We have kind of the same thing going on this year. Our property is small and in the City limits. Every year one of us has got a buck by now and sometimes 2. This year 5 does come every day. One of them is half white. But, not a single buck is on the camera even though we have a scrape and now some doe in heat out. There are bucks just a few hundred yards away that I see on the golf course, bike trail, school lawn and church parking lot. Why don't they smell the buck lures, follow these 5 does, eat our food or just wander through? Funny year so far....
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have 3 does, 2 fawns and 2 immature bucks that frequent my foodplot/bait in my 38 acres. I've never seen the mature bucks eat at the bait pile and are often seen nose down. I have yet to see a mature buck in the same picture as a doe and they aren't captured in the cams near the bait pile.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 pm
I have 3 does, 2 fawns and 2 immature bucks that frequent my foodplot/bait in my 38 acres. I've never seen the mature bucks eat at the bait pile and are often seen nose down. I have yet to see a mature buck in the same picture as a doe and they aren't captured in the cams near the bait pile.
I am also seeing no correlation between the two. On both of my cell cameras over bait. I have yet to see bucks and does together. Does have pretty much cleared out for higher ground currently. bucks are working what looks to be a two day schedule. I am seeing bucks from the road frequently right now, they are definately moving.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

If you get a hot doe they will know and you will get bucks. Like I said in another post I walk my dog in an area where I see deer mostly the same few does all the time. Well this week I saw 4 bucks in daylight chasing so one of those does is now in heat and they found her !
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

janesy wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:20 am
Boo wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:15 pm
I am also seeing no correlation between the two. On both of my cell cameras over bait. I have yet to see bucks and does together. Does have pretty much cleared out for higher ground currently. bucks are working what looks to be a two day schedule. I am seeing bucks from the road frequently right now, they are definately moving.
I used to see the same not many older bucks at the feeder. I decided to set a camera further away and started to get pics of older bucks. They sent check the feeder but seldom come right to it.
rayman

Post by rayman »

When the bucks are rutting hard you can't hardly pay a pack of does to hit my corn piles because the bucks have them staked out waiting to ambush the does. It's always the younger bucks that are the most aggressive, with the older bucks just slipping by occasionally in the background.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I've experienced little or no rut in a suburban area l hunt one year.
Then during gun season (bow only for this area) the deer were absolutely nuts for two days around December 11th and 12. I walked in the wood lot and immediately saw the ground all tore up on the paths.
I observed 8 different bucks on the tiny 10 acres. Harvesting a beautiful 8 pointer.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.