Finally and thanks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ihunt

Finally and thanks

Post by ihunt »

Well it finally got a buck! After the bow/crossbow season I had one great chance and blew it!!! A 9 pointer I've been watching for the last three years caught me off guard got in my ground blind got settled in open the window blinds and who was looking right at me, yep the 9 pointer and he just walked away and over the fence and vanished. Rest of the bow season nothing and I mean nothing. Gun season opening day heard a few shots nearby that day and watch coyotes all day following this trail. If I had my crossbow I would have taken them but I didn't. Last minutes of legal time I see a coyote coming towards me following that same trail watched him a bit but only see his top of his back with the sun glaring on it. A few minutes later and 20 feet away I realized it wasn't a coyote but the 9 point got the gun up and could see him in the scope too dark!!! Rest of the season nothing after reading a thread about everyone not seeing any or so few deer that I thought will I'm in the same boat. Now the thank you part:
ko4nrbs wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:52 pm
iahunt wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:51 pm
Nice buck and congrats hopefully it's my turn tomorrow .
Good Luck and Safe Hunting!!
Bill
Thanks ko4nrbs you gave me the luck I needed.

Last day of gun deer season -17 C or 1 F not counting windshield factor and 8 inches of snow, I decided to change my tactic no more waiting in blind but to scouting. Waited hours in different spots and then found some fresh tracks followed it to a spot where there were plenty signs of deer bedding. Bingo I said to myself backed out to about 50 yds but the wind was in the wrong direction, east wind toward the beddings, couldn't change spots neighbours property in front so cleared some snow and sat back to a tree. Waited a hour and noticed some movement got the gun up and sited him small buck and fired he fell 10 yds and expired. A 2 and 1/2 pointer actually he's a 4 pointer but left antler was broken off hence the 1/2 pointer lol. So glad I thought the season will be over as there was 2 hrs left of the season. This is my first buck not the 9 pointer or one to brag about but it's my first buck as I always got a doe.
Thanks to this forum and encouragement not to give up regardless the weather, Oh I wasn't cold actually I was quite comfortable :D

If anyone would like to offer to post my photo please pm me can't figure out how to.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ko4nrbs

Re: Finally and thanks

Post by ko4nrbs »

ihunt wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:00 am
Now the thank you part:
ko4nrbs wrote:
iahunt wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:51 pm
Nice buck and congrats hopefully it's my turn tomorrow .
Bill

Thanks to this forum and encouragement not to give up regardless the weather, Oh I wasn't cold actually I was quite comfortable :D

If anyone would like to offer to post my photo please pm me can't figure out how to.
Your welcome!!
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:11 am
ihunt wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:00 am
Now the thank you part:
ko4nrbs wrote:

Bill

Your welcome!!

I would post them for you but I am on the road.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats on the buck. First is the hardest, now the come easier. :clap:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Harold's Pics! Congrats Harold! :thumbup:

Image[url=https://postimages.org/]Image

Image[url=https://postimg.cc/gxh7Y9yQ]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Thanks xcaliber for posting my pics.

First pic one of the scrapes I found during my tracking in the snow.
Second pic my first buck not the biggest but my 1st.
Been hunting deer for few years when younger then started again when I took my retirement but always got does.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

My trophies have all been measured by how hard I worked for it, period! :thumbup: I think I remember every deer I ever killed, and to me the memory of those hunts is the real trophy. I have found over the years that biggest smart arses about deer hunting DON"T hunt. When I got my first buck, the old man I hunted with said this, deer are cunning, intelligent, and have better senses than lots of animals. If you shoot one, they still have the desire to live that makes finding them often difficult when they pile up. You never appreciate how much energy it takes to harvest one until it's in your truck! :clap:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

xcaliber wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:24 pm
My trophies have all been measured by how hard I worked for it, period! :thumbup: I think I remember every deer I ever killed, and to me the memory of those hunts is the real trophy. I have found over the years that biggest smart arses about deer hunting DON"T hunt. When I got my first buck, the old man I hunted with said this, deer are cunning, intelligent, and have better senses than lots of animals. If you shoot one, they still have the desire to live that makes finding them often difficult when they pile up. You never appreciate how much energy it takes to harvest one until it's in your truck! :clap:
I totally agree with you. Believe me when I say I worked hard, days getting up early and coming home late, spending lots of time in my blind, putting with the heat and then the freezing cold, days not seeing anything but if it wasn't for the thread about being persistence I nearly gave up and when ko4nrbs wished me good luck I felt I had to go out there and keep trying.
It paid off. :thumbup:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

ihunt wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:47 pm
xcaliber wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:24 pm
I totally agree with you. Believe me when I say I worked hard, days getting up early and coming home late, spending lots of time in my blind, putting with the heat and then the freezing cold, days not seeing anything but if it wasn't for the thread about being persistence I nearly gave up and when ko4nrbs wished me good luck I felt I had to go out there and keep trying.
It paid off. :thumbup:
Killed this guy last year at the Church Buddy's place.
Had pretty much given up on ever getting a shot at him. On this particular morning I almost slept in. Told myself what's the use he's not in the area anymore, he's nocturnal, or been shot already. I had lot of excuses to be sure. After a few minutes I thought well I'm awake anyway so better go. The rest is history.

All you have to loose is a little sleep!!

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on your first buck !
Sounds like you're time scouting payed off now go get your self a coyote.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

That’s a really nice buck Bill.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

gerald strine wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:30 am
Congratulations on your first buck !
Sounds like you're time scouting payed off now go get your self a coyote.
Thanks. Will be retrieving my atv and ground blinds next week and will be trying, no will be eliminating, a few coyotes hehehe
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Congrats on the harvest.
I remember some of my mountain bucks most of them spikes and y bucks some of them deer are my best hunting trophies in honestly.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Congrats, great job.

Memories and vittles
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme