Seeking opinions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

UPSMAN

Seeking opinions

Post by UPSMAN »

Seeking opinions from some of my friends on a bullet. To all you newbies, yes I know this is a crossbow forum but us old timers discuss everything hunting here. :lol: I just zeroed a new 6.5 Creedmoor. It shoots 2 different bullets identical. I’ve never hunted with either. 143 gr Winchester Accubond Long Range or 143 gr Hornady ELD-X. Any of you guys had any experience with these bullets?
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Species8472

Re: Seeking opinions

Post by Species8472 »

No experience with the Hornady ELD-X. Never shot long range Accubond but have shot normal Accubonds tons and they are my go to. Furthest I have ever had a deer or bear go is 30 yards when i put one in the vitals. Interestingly it's only the smaller animals that go the full 30 yards. My theory is they don't provide as much resistance for expansion. Furthest anything over 200 lbs has gone is 12 yards.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

This seams pretty convincing the Hornady is a first rate bullet I have not used them however.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnpwnYc0Sh8
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
artifact

Post by artifact »

I realize you asked about 143gr. bullets, but I'll throw this at you!
I have hunted with both 600 and 660 Remington Magnums in 6.5 Rem. Mag. for years. Due to the magazine length I couldn't load 140's because I had to seat them too deep, but the 129gr. Hornady Spire Point met the task.
Those bullets are super accurate in my guns and work very well on deer, it's either BANG flop, or they don't make it too far at all.
Just something to think about from another "old timer"! :lol:
Just thinking, maybe time for some newer guns, I'm hunting with mostly antiques!!!!! :lol:
Normous

Post by Normous »

I am interested in, what brand gun, scope? barrel length,etc?
Did you use a break in procedure?
Having two brand bullets print the same is a confidence booster and flexibility at the Gun Store regarding caliber, inventory and availability.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
janesy

Post by janesy »

I tend to stray away from loading with Hornaday components. When I was experimenting a lot with the 204 Hornaday bullets were not very popular, and the brass was sub-par. But the factory ammo sold well. Hornaday is synonymous with speed.

So that has lead me to choose Nosler for my loads for big game hunting. The accubond is one awesome bullet.

Along with what Norm said, that's great to be able to shoot different brands out of the same bore. Very rare that that happens.

But... If it comes to terminal performance and store bought ammo. Many people will argue just for the sake of it, but most will ultimately agree, the good old fashion Core-loct in the yellow and green box gets it done every time for a lot less.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

janesy wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:04 pm
But... If it comes to terminal performance and store bought ammo. Many people will argue just for the sake of it, but most will ultimately agree, the good old fashion Core-loct in the yellow and green box gets it done every time for a lot less.
You nailed it!!
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have a few rifles, and pistols in rifle cartridges and shoot Federal Fusion with very good results. I'm no expert, but the price is good, the range performance is great, and I have harvested every deer I ever I shot with it.

Good Luck finding what you like, and need.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Normous wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:37 pm
I am interested in, what brand gun, scope? barrel length,etc?
Did you use a break in procedure?
Having two brand bullets print the same is a confidence booster and flexibility at the Gun Store regarding caliber, inventory and availability.
Norm,It’s a Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creedmoor. It’s wearing a Leupold VX 5 3x15x56 CDS.
Zombie Slayers
Boo String
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:25 pm
I have a few rifles, and pistols in rifle cartridges and shoot Federal Fusion with very good results. I'm no expert, but the price is good, the range performance is great, and I have harvested every deer I ever I shot with it.

Good Luck finding what you like, and need.
I shoot Fusions in my Browning A-Bolt. It has a Boss system and I have it tuned to shoot the Fusions. My new Creedmoor just won’t shoot Fusions. It sprays them all over the target. You can cover the ELD-X and the Accubonds with a nickel.
Zombie Slayers
Boo String
janesy

Post by janesy »

I had the same results with fusions in my 7-08
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

Man, that is a nice performing Hunting Rig Dennis!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I’m so happy that my relatively inexpensive guns shoot the Fusion ammo very well!
Hope you get a good combination.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

It is amazing how these budget rifles shoot these days
You really dont have to spend a lot to get a deer killing gun. Even the scope combos seem to shoot satisfactory. For under 150 yards.
I helped a kid sight in a 300 dollar savage combo the other day with factory Remington Walmart ammo. It was a tac driver had to move the crosshairs an inch from the factory boresight.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
grouse

Post by grouse »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:51 am
It is amazing how these budget rifles shoot these days
You really dont have to spend a lot to get a deer killing gun. Even the scope combos seem to shoot satisfactory. For under 150 yards.
I helped a kid sight in a 300 dollar savage combo the other day with factory Remington Walmart ammo. It was a tac driver had to move the crosshairs an inch from the factory boresight.
I'm glad to hear this about the Savage. I won one of the cheap Savages in 6.5 Creedmoor at a charity event a couple of weeks ago but haven't even shot it yet. My .270 Tikka TX3 is my go to rifle, but it's nice to know that the Savage might be a reliable back up or rifle to lend to a friend.
axiom
350 SE