Compound Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

76chevy

Re: Compound Crossbows

Post by 76chevy »

bought a scorpyd this year...sold it already. 100% excal for me. Compounds have too much to go wrong
76chevy

Post by 76chevy »

say you are four+ hours from home in rural area out of state on a multiple day hunt...I know what bow I want with me. With a spare string and bow restringer. I can be back in action in minutes not hours or days hoping to find an open pro shop with xbow press.
paulaboutform wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:18 pm
I've been a certified level II tech for many years working primarily on compound bows. In my experience it depends on the string materials used, the cam design, and the amount of shooting done. Our recurve limb bow strings need adjustment for brace height, compound strings and cables will need adjustments for both cam synchronization and timing. This is easily done but you actually need a press that'll work on a crossbow and you need to know what to look for and the adjustments to make. I personally have a wheeled Frankenbow in the lab being made right now and I also bought a portable press to work on that bow as none of my shop presses will work on that narrow of a bow. I wish I could be more helpful but there really are a lot of variables. I guess if you aren't able to work on the bow yourself and you're not near a QUALIFIED pro shop, avoid the wheels. If you can get the work done easily then give it a shot.

Paul
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

76chevy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:09 pm
say you are four+ hours from home in rural area out of state on a multiple day hunt...I know what bow I want with me. With a spare string and bow restringer. I can be back in action in minutes not hours or days hoping to find an open pro shop with xbow press.
paulaboutform wrote:
I've been a certified level II tech for many years working primarily on compound bows. In my experience it depends on the string materials used, the cam design, and the amount of shooting done. Our recurve limb bow strings need adjustment for brace height, compound strings and cables will need adjustments for both cam synchronization and timing. This is easily done but you actually need a press that'll work on a crossbow and you need to know what to look for and the adjustments to make. I personally have a wheeled Frankenbow in the lab being made right now and I also bought a portable press to work on that bow as none of my shop presses will work on that narrow of a bow. I wish I could be more helpful but there really are a lot of variables. I guess if you aren't able to work on the bow yourself and you're not near a QUALIFIED pro shop, avoid the wheels. If you can get the work done easily then give it a shot.

Paul
I'm glad we agree. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

janesy wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:09 pm
The Stryker katana 360 was talking to me for a while. But I didn't do anything.
The Skorpyd's are pretty awesome, fantastic triggers.
I had been wanting to try one of those Katana 360's out for a couple of years so I bought one about a month ago and now I have the best of both worlds a compound crossbow that I can decock that is really quiet and has all the features of Excalibur from the front of the rail back to the stock. Now the big question is how long will it last and be trouble free like the Ecaliburs I've owned.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hester0305 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:20 am
janesy wrote:
I had been wanting to try one of those Katana 360's out for a couple of years so I bought one about a month ago and now I have the best of both worlds a compound crossbow that I can decock that is really quiet and has all the features of Excalibur from the front of the rail back to the stock. Now the big question is how long will it last and be trouble free like the Ecaliburs I've owned.
The Katana is arguably the best compound crossbow ever made. The only real weak point it had was the poor quality cables and strings. It's truly asinine that a bow that is so reliable was dropped out of production only because it lacked sex appeal. The lack of sex appeal and the aura that hung around Bowtech's sordid past like toilet paper hanging out of a person's backside was minor compared to it's lack of cocaine like extreme speeds that the public now demands. It's a pity because it had so many possibilities from speeds over 400 to being much smaller while maintaining speeds of 350 ft\sec.
Still, cables and strings are not a simple replacement. You have to balance 2 cam timing, cam position and the ATA all at the same time. You then have to shoot the bow until the strings and cables have stopped creeping. You then have to repeat step one. Yes you can change strings and cables in the field with some crossbows but if you do not have a bow press, be prepared to pull your hair out. As a primary bow, an Excalibur is still the intelligent choice.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:49 am
Hester0305 wrote:
janesy wrote:
The Katana is arguably the best compound crossbow ever made. The only real weak point it had was the poor quality cables and strings. It's truly asinine that a bow that is so reliable was dropped out of production only because it lacked sex appeal. The lack of sex appeal and the aura that hung around Bowtech's sordid past like toilet paper hanging out of a person's backside was minor compared to it's lack of cocaine like extreme speeds that the public now demands. It's a pity because it had so many possibilities from speeds over 400 to being much smaller while maintaining speeds of 350 ft\sec.
Still, cables and strings are not a simple replacement. You have to balance 2 cam timing, cam position and the ATA all at the same time. You then have to shoot the bow until the strings and cables have stopped creeping. You then have to repeat step one. Yes you can change strings and cables in the field with some crossbows but if you do not have a bow press, be prepared to pull your hair out. As a primary bow, an Excalibur is still the intelligent choice.
That's exactly why I dragged my feet, and continue to do so
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Fatboy111

Post by Fatboy111 »

I work on a lot of wheelie crossbows. Won’t name brands, but it’s a lot. When I see that, that’s why I shoot an Excalibur. Tweek cables to get cams synced and then twist again after strings and cables settle. Also, when they blow they typically take out the limbs, cams, and strings and cables. It’s a tear down. Excalibur is so much easier to take care of to me-prob because I’m tired of working on the wheelies. Each has their pros and cons. Doesn’t matter really, shoot what you want, take care of it, and hunt.
76chevy

Post by 76chevy »

MY excal outshot the scorpyd . Maybe I got a bad one...don't know.
Hester0305 wrote:
janesy wrote:
76chevy

Post by 76chevy »

Great minds think alike!
paulaboutform wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:28 pm
76chevy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:09 pm
paulaboutform wrote:

Paul
I'm glad we agree. :wink:

Paul
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I appreciate both styles! :)
Both can put meat in the back of my Wagon! :)

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
10Ring

Post by 10Ring »

sproulman wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:38 am
MOST that have compounds do not shoot very much anyhow..That is what I am seeing locally ..

I bet I am only one ,well I know I am that puts over 100 shots on crossbow...

MOST do not want to wear them out in anyway..EVEN the 5 micros that I got for our camp if they shot 10 shots or more its normal ..
none have over 30 shots on any of bows most 10/20 shots with 10 being about average....

These are hunters that put arrow behind the bears shoulders driving Bear ...
Yes, I agree.

IMHO, the volume of shooting comes into play, some of us shoot more than others.

From 2000 to 2004 I used Excalibur's, a Vixen and an Exocet, for 3D shoots; the shoots ran every week at our club from May to Labour Day. At 20 shoots per shoot (they were short evening shoots) that's approx. 320 right there.

I would shoot for practice/fun a couple times/week, probably 50+ shots per session.

Having had 20 years previous experience with hand held compounds, I chose Excalibur recurves.

I have seen compound crossbow shooters abandon a shoot 1/2 way through, due to cable or string issues. I had a serving go on one shoot, within 1 minute, I had the spare on, with no change of scope setting required, barely held my group up at all.

I have since gone back to my 1970's archery roots and am shooting trad 3D; not that I am one of those trad purists, the club I belong to currently, supports all types of archery.

Even so, I kick my but for selling that older Vixen with the carved limb tips, I had it from new, it was in great shape and was a very nice "shooter". :(
10Ring