Ticks on deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Ticks on deer

Post by longbow joe »

I forgot to mention the amount of deer ticks on the deer we harvested this year.
I shot 5 doe this season and a buck yesterday and my brother got a nice 9 pointer last sat.
The amount of creepy crawler deer ticks was simply astonishing
Early in the year l understand but its been fairly cold here.
I'm not rich but l had no trouble dropping all of em at the butcher...l simply dont want them in my garage.
The butcher has Bill's to pay too
It's just a testament of how well the "permy" has been working this year on my clothes and gear.
I'm happy to say 0 ticks found on me.
I could actually see a new hunter just abandoning his new hobby because of a tick experience I'm sure it happens.
I remember in the 80's and 90's rarely a tick on a deer around here.
Now it's gone nuts ....l hate the little ba$$tards a real lot!
Last edited by longbow joe on Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
grouse

Re: Ticks on deer

Post by grouse »

We had tremendous numbers of ticks around here in the spring but I haven't seen a tick in several months, including on my dogs. I don't know what happened, but I'm glad!
axiom
350 SE
janesy

Post by janesy »

I had a huge deer tick on me two weeks ago. Oldy enough I drove into a cut corn field, got out, walked maybe twenty steps in 6" corn stubble. And came out with a tick under my shirt on my bicep. Go figure how I picked it up.

Also during moose season up around Parry Sound the deer tick larvae was on our pants by the 1000's. It was crazy you could see them all over the grass. 100's of thousands of them moving at the same time. Non bugger than the head of a pin. I've never seen that before
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Ticks are active even in cold weather up to I think around the freezing point! I hate ticks!!!!
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

janesy wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:21 pm
I had a huge deer tick on me two weeks ago. Oldy enough I drove into a cut corn field, got out, walked maybe twenty steps in 6" corn stubble. And came out with a tick under my shirt on my bicep. Go figure how I picked it up.

Also during moose season up around Parry Sound the deer tick larvae was on our pants by the 1000's. It was crazy you could see them all over the grass. 100's of thousands of them moving at the same time. Non bugger than the head of a pin. I've never seen that before
Call them seed ticks here. They will eat you up.

Ticks not bad here this year. I think they do go in cycles.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Can't blame you for that they are no fun.
W.M.
artifact

Post by artifact »

Same up here in the Poconos Joe, got a buck during the second last week of archery and it was loaded with ticks. Like you I spray all my hunting clothing with permethrin, none on me since I started doing that.
I was always outside, hunting arrowheads, hunting both small and large critters, and fishing every mountain stream around here, never had a tick on me. I don't know what changed, but all of a sudden there seems to be ticks everywhere.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Back in the sixties and seventies the province of New Brunswick allowed the forest industry to spray DDT for the spruce bud worm trying to protect the softwood lumber industry. That crap killed everything including song birds. That DDT made allot of people sick and killed a bunch too. The song birds are back and the ticks are here to stay.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I hate ticks!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

They do seem to run in cycles down here too. Most of the ones I get are pin head size also but I'll have 100 on just one hand.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

If l ever quit hunting that's the part l know l wont miss
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Mice/rodents are the largest carrier of ticks. Some information will tell you that if you make your mice tick free, you'll reduce your tick population by 90%.
This has been a bad year for ticks in Durham. So early summer I started to spray where the grass meets the brush and more importantly I've started to put out tick tubes. The mice in my barn emptied the permethrin laden cotton balls of the tubes in a couple of weeks. I intend to lay out tubes throught out the year and I expect to see results next year. My dogs are on Bravecto.
I know you can't do this with hunting areas but I've only ever picked one up hunting and that was in Ahiya after carrying out a deer. But I got 2 this year from around the farm.
If you want to hear some crazy tick stories, call Danny Miller. His county is crazy with ticks!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

I had my first tick in years just 2 weeks ago when it was 12 degrees F outside. They seem to get a lot more aggressive when it's colder or maybe they see the temp difference between environment and 'prey' better than when it's warm. I do spray down everything with Permythrin but the bug was transferred from my hand to my underwear when I peed most likely because I recall seeing one crawling on my hand that day. Luckily, I got it out within hours of getting home and no rash or sickness. :thumbup: I hate ticks!!!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Smong2000 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:55 am
I do spray down everything with Permythrin but the bug was transferred from my hand to my underwear when I peed most likely because I recall seeing one crawling on my hand that day.
Almost too much information! :lol: :lol: :lol:
BTW, we should leave Opossums alone. They eat ticks! Up to 5,000 a year!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
rayman

Post by rayman »

The ticks are a major problem where I hunt in Florida during archery season and a big reason why I haven't bow hunted much lately. They have usually gone mostly dormant by rifle season, then are back in high gear by spring turkey.

I have treated corn with ivemec to put out for deer during the early summer to help with ticks but usually don't think about it until it's too close to hunting season.