BC Proposal to BAN Scopes on Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Re: BC Proposal to BAN Scopes on Crossbows

Post by paulaboutform »

I fully understand what they're saying. What I'm saying is that it's ridiculous and I don't understand how any crossbow hunter/shooter thinks this is okay. It's not! I'm also against the exclusion of scopes on compounds as that's equally as stupid.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:44 am
ihunt wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:18 am
Carnivorous wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:06 am

Reduce the effectiveness? Why? So you will have more wounded animals??
X2

My thoughts exactly.
The point of reducing the effectivness is not for wounding but for the effectivness in killing more game. If the number of harvested animals goes up to unacceptable rates during the archery season which is traditionally for less effective types of equipment then the season or the weapon has to be changed.
Then shorten the season or reduce limits.

It’s all about crossbow hysteria!! Crossbows are here to stay so the archery purists need to get over it.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:03 am
Timbrhuntr wrote:
ihunt wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:18 am

X2

My thoughts exactly.
The point of reducing the effectivness is not for wounding but for the effectivness in killing more game. If the number of harvested animals goes up to unacceptable rates during the archery season which is traditionally for less effective types of equipment then the season or the weapon has to be changed.

It’s all about crossbow hysteria!! Crossbows are here to stay so the archery purists need to get over it.

Bill
Bill, I agree with you. The problem is that there are distorted opinions within our own ranks. Crossbow hunter/shooters that think this is okay. I don't understand their mindset! I say, if you think it's a good idea to have a less effective weapon, lead the way by example. Remove your scope and use pins....or go to a longbow or recurve or compound. It's that simple. I can't believe we're even having this discussion. I don't get it. :eusa-think: :eusa-think:

Paul
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

paulaboutform wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:34 am
ko4nrbs wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:03 am
Timbrhuntr wrote:

Bill
Bill, I agree with you. The problem is that there are distorted opinions within our own ranks. Crossbow hunter/shooters that think this is okay. I don't understand their mindset! I say, if you think it's a good idea to have a less effective weapon, lead the way by example. Remove your scope and use pins....or go to a longbow or recurve or compound. It's that simple. I can't believe we're even having this discussion. I don't get it. :eusa-think: :eusa-think:

Paul
Give an inch and they will take a mile!! Death by a thousand cuts. Put a frog in a cold pan of water and set it on a hot burner. Now watch him die as the water temp slowly increases.

These all apply to anyone that thinks they can reason with archery purists. I’ve honestly tried and gave up. Now I just get cranky when I am around them.

Remember that not all Vertical Bow hunters are Archery Purists. Archery Purists are very closed minded people.

Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Guns, bows, hunting, etc. We're all under attack by the crazies. I hope it lets up soon, but know better. Hope the outcome lands on the side of us hunters! So far Indiana has been doing to right thing for hunters, and I hope it continues for generations. We as hunters need to get the youngsters involved as much as we can, it's our only hope.
Hope to read good news in the near future from my Brother's up North!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
The point of reducing the effectivness is not for wounding but for the effectivness in killing more game.
However you want to gloss over it, the effect this will have on the ground is to increase wounding and loss rates.
No other way around it.
Period.
If the number of harvested animals goes up to unacceptable rates during the archery season which is traditionally for less effective types of equipment then the season or the weapon has to be changed.
There have been ZERO studies as to harvest rates through the various bow seasons, let alone a breakdown between vertical and horizontal bows.
Instead, this proposal was presented based on emotion, and I think that...

No science, No Way! :thumbdown:

From what I have been able to determine to date, it strongly appears the BCWF, Outfitters Association, Sheep Society and Trappers Association are all in agreement that they do not support this BS. It is also beginning to look like the Bowhunters Association was not the entity that promoted this, and actually voiced concerns over this foolish development. The BCWF is going so far as to present a Public Announcement in the next little while requesting that this proposal (and actually all current 71 proposals) be trashed and the process started over again. I expect something of the same from some of the others...

There ain't many left at the table to examine, and the noose is tightening on those responsible.
I will be going WAY out of my way to make their involvement well known, and as painful as possible... :evil:

Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I'm not sure how you can just make a blanket statement that it will increase wounding and loss rates .

My problem with scopes is that they give certain people a believe that they can take shots they shouldn't and yes does make them more efficient in bow season. I have friends that bought crossbows with scopes and went to the range and started shooting at 100 yards ! I remember the peep site on my first excaliber it limited my shot selection both at distance and low light conditions . It wouldn't hurt my feelings if scopes were removed ! Thats my opinion and I guess I'm ridiculous and an archery purist lol

Oh never mind I'll get in lock step ! This is a terrible idea and anyone that is not against it should be shot !! :crazy:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:28 pm
I'm not sure how you can just make a blanket statement that it will increase wounding and loss rates .

My problem with scopes is that they give certain people a believe that they can take shots they shouldn't and yes does make them more efficient in bow season. I have friends that bought crossbows with scopes and went to the range and started shooting at 100 yards ! I remember the peep site on my first excaliber it limited my shot selection both at distance and low light conditions . It wouldn't hurt my feelings if scopes were removed ! Thats my opinion and I guess I'm ridiculous and an archery purist lol

Oh never mind I'll get in lock step ! This is a terrible idea and anyone that is not against it should be shot !! :crazy:
Those same people take “Cowboy” shots with open sights, period. There are some so called hunters that cannot keep their fingers off the trigger no matter how hard the shot may be! To have at least a magnifying sight helps even the best hunters realize a good shot from a bad one. My opinion.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I give up. If I type anything but a short couple sentences I'm deleted and directed to sign in!!!!!....Peter, are you giving me a hint? :wtf: :lol:

Paul
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Timbrhuntr wrote:

This is the exact argument I remember the traditional bow shooters attempted about compound bows when compounds first came out. I wish I could say I agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong. :eusa-doh: Btw, which scope are you shooting? Maybe one of us will take it off your hands. :wtf:

Paul
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Might have something to do with a lot of training, experience, and the fact I have been a Range Officer and Firearms Instructor for over 40 years.

From that I can and will assure you that even within the short ranges hunting with a crossbow presents, a scope will be MUCH more accurate than any open sights ever will be.

Translation: The scope makes the crossbow more efficient, and helps (large that is) reduce the occurrences of wounding and / or loss.

If you can't figure that out for yourself, I see no reason to continue any dialogue with you whatsoever. :thumbdown:

Regards,
Matt
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Hunters have been attacked so much in the media, etc. that I have become very defensive and quick to react. It all started for me wit Dan Rather’s “Guns of Autumn”. Any attempt to limit any shooting or hunting rights really sets me off.
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:16 pm
Hunters have been attacked so much in the media, etc. that I have become very defensive and quick to react. It all started for me wit Dan Rather’s “Guns of Autumn”. Any attempt to limit any shooting or hunting rights really sets me off.
Bill
Bill, once again I agree. I'm in the same boat.
Tom

Post by Tom »

paulaboutform wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:14 pm
Timbrhuntr wrote:

This is the exact argument I remember the traditional bow shooters attempted about compound bows when compounds first came out. I wish I could say I agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong. :eusa-doh: Btw, which scope are you shooting? Maybe one of us will take it off your hands. :wtf:

Paul
I started with crossbows before Excalibur even became to be.

I started with Astro Daco, which had 3 pins for different ranges or distances. That bow was th most accurate at the time, but not very accurate.

Eleminting scopes on crossbows will make them less accurate, which means that there will be more bad hits because they are less accurate ... cause and effect ......

The question is ...... is this bann discriminatory ...... how many hunters need scopes so they can clearly see what h they want to shoot. Scopes cn be adjusted to make vision clear for shooters that have vision problems. According to CHRADA (Canadian Human Rights And Disability Act), any action that restricts a person with a disability (vision problems is a disability) from being able to pacipitate in an activity enjoyed by an able bodied person, shall be deemed "DISCRIMINATORY" or discrimination.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I don't disagree that scopes make the weapon more accurate whether that means less wounding or not thats just an opinion. The issue for me is that as more and more technology is added to the crossbow yes it gets easier and more efficient to use. I honestly don't see this as good for its continued use in the archery only seasons. I believe that if game numbers start to be affected and game managers start to look at the efficiency of this weapon it might be taken out of the archery season in many juristictions. I hope I'm wrong as I do love hunting with my excals (scope included) and all especially since I am limited in the use of my compound and can't shoot a trad bow often enough to be any good with it now.