Trying something new this spring

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Trying something new this spring

Post by xcaliber »

I have never hunted turkey for whatever reason, but the Kid does. I decided to let him show me the ropes and I want to do this with a .410 single shot. I decided on a model I like and have been reading about different loads etc. I want to take shots inside 30 yards and the TSS loads claim 40 yards with a full choke which is what I’m getting. This gun will be dedicated for turkey’s only. The Kid says we can pattern the gun for 30 yards with a few loads, I’m stoked! Is anyone hunting turkey with a.410, and if so what load and distance?
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Robinsons Rebel

Re: Trying something new this spring

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

Beware!!! Once you try turkey hunting,you can never go back. It stays in your blood.Good luck Dan!!
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Reading a lot of guys using .410 with the TSS successfully. Still not legal in Indiana yet though.

I am a late start in life turkey hunter, but 30+ yr deer hunter. Only started 8 yrs ago, due to my buddy hounding on me to try it. He learned from a friend and his dad who are from TN. He is highly successful, and has since taught me all I know. I have harvested 6 adult Tom's and a hen in 8 seasons. The 2 yrs I didnt harvest I was sick one and bad weather on the other.

I dont know everything, but enough to be dangerous. I have come to greatly enjoy the spring season when everything is coming to life. Our season is a little late in the breeding phase, but workable. Fall hunting is just by opportunity, you have to get on their food source or travel pattern. Spring is the fun time! It's a blast...
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

deadeer wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:35 pm
Reading a lot of guys using .410 with the TSS successfully. Still not legal in Indiana yet though.

I am a late start in life turkey hunter, but 30+ yr deer hunter. Only started 8 yrs ago, due to my buddy hounding on me to try it. He learned from a friend and his dad who are from TN. He is highly successful, and has since taught me all I know. I have harvested 6 adult Tom's and a hen in 8 seasons. The 2 yrs I didnt harvest I was sick one and bad weather on the other.

I dont know everything, but enough to be dangerous. I have come to greatly enjoy the spring season when everything is coming to life. Our season is a little late in the breeding phase, but workable. Fall hunting is just by opportunity, you have to get on their food source or travel pattern. Spring is the fun time! It's a blast...
Yeah I’m hoping Indiana legalizes the.410, just read that! I have a gun to use just in case though. I’m anxious to get after them now!
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

you must be using the Stevens 310 410 turkey . I stepped a way from firearms for turkey and any other game I use my crossbow which is more of a challenge to me along with health issues that prevent me from shooting a firearm without problems . Yes once you start turkey hunting and get one or two you are hooked .
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

I started turkey hunting in the fall of 2018. Didn't use a 410 but did go somewhat unconventional. Used my 20 gauge upland gun (o/u beretta) with 7/8 oz number 6. Using that setup i aimed for 25 yards or less and had factory full on top and modified on the bottom for in close work.

In our fall hunt we are allowed either one Tom or one hen so in the fall of 2018 i put the stalk on a hen in bean field from 700 yards away. Took my over an hour to close from 700 to 20 yards wearing full ghillie attire. That was my first turkey ever. The spring hunt we are allowed 2 Toms. So spring 2019 i managed to call in 2 toms on different days and managed to get them both in to about 18 to 20 yards. Did not make it out this fall.

My first two turkeys ever:

Hen in fall 2028, Tom in Spring 2019.

I highly recommend it. I think you are gonna have a blast.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Thanks, and I'm sure I'll get hooked! I'm going to run down to my local gun shop & see if I can get the 20 Gauge 301 instead, and if not I'll get one anyway. I'm going to learn from my pupil and that is the main thing really. If it bites me hard like you guys say, I'll find somewhere to go & hunt with the .410. :thumbup:
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Lots of good info and tips on OldGobbler.com on chokes,guns and ammo! I bought a new 870 20g years ago and a scope to put on it as a dedicated turkey gun,then started useing a Excalibur and have never mounted the scope or shot the gun
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
janesy

Post by janesy »

Hmmm... This might be the Canadian coming out here(we tend to use more gun than we need) .
But I'd be going 20G before 410.

I use a couple 12 bores and have knocked them clean across a ditch without killing them dead. It's not that they are tough to kill, it's that the margin of error is so high. Turkey hunting is possibly the most exciting hunting you can do without you prey hunting you back lol. When old Tom sneaks up behind you and then drums so loud it feels like you chest is vibrating ... You'll be hooked.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

If you step up to a 12bore, skip the line and go autoloader. The first time you blast a candlestick with your shoulder against a tree with a pump or single... You'll really wish you didn't do that.

I rebuilt this 11-87 after that happened

But even tho this 870 rings my bell, I do carry it every year still. It's just so handy. I painted track on it after the first two birds in its and my first season, and then never did it again. Wish I had kept that up.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I have used my shot gun 870 , 12ga. 3 1/2" 567 shot for my first few years for the thunder chicken , the choice is unlimited . now all I use is my Excalibur 355 Matrix. and the magnus bull head . for me it is a lot more fun . go ahead and get your feet wet Dan what ever you choose you will be happy Lots of fun ,good hunting . :thumbup:
W.M.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

mr meat wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:42 pm
Lots of good info and tips on OldGobbler.com on chokes,guns and ammo! I bought a new 870 20g years ago and a scope to put on it as a dedicated turkey gun,then started useing a Excalibur and have never mounted the scope or shot the gun
That site banned all the innovators of TSS years ago I'd go to Gobbler Nation if I wanted info on TSS.

Lots of good info just don't get into loading your own its too addictive and getting addicted to turkey hiunting is bad enough without adding to it.

I started about 20 years ago with an invite from a buddy I now have hunted and killed birds in 16 states and one province and have 2 grand slams and could have 10 more but won't go after that golden Florida bird again LOL! :crazy:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Some nice birds, and accomplishments, you guys are getting me pumped up for spring turkey! I’m going to go with the single shot 20 gauge for now and hope that Indiana adopts the.410 soon as legal. If not it’s still a good gun to teach the grandkids with some day. In a few years maybe I’ll try the ExcaliburCrossbows.
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

janesy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:42 pm
Hmmm... This might be the Canadian coming out here(we tend to use more gun than we need) .
But I'd be going 20G before 410.

I use a couple 12 bores and have knocked them clean across a ditch without killing them dead. It's not that they are tough to kill, it's that the margin of error is so high. Turkey hunting is possibly the most exciting hunting you can do without you prey hunting you back lol. When old Tom sneaks up behind you and then drums so loud it feels like you chest is vibrating ... You'll be hooked.
You said it!! :thumbup:
Nice Tom and a sweet 870!! Gotta love it!

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
grouse

Post by grouse »

I've killed about 35 turkeys over the years and I agree with Jansey - a 410 seems a little light for turkeys. To my mind it would be in the ballpark with using a .22 rimfire for deer. You might succeed but you're probably under gunned. A full choke 410 is similar to shooting a rifle at close range and you're not shooting at a turkey, you're shooting at a turkey's head, and that is a small target. If you want to stay away from a 12 ga., a 20 ga. 3" mag with heavy weight or heavy shot in 4 or 6 shot, is pretty good out to about 40 yards.
axiom
350 SE