How High

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ko4nrbs

How High

Post by ko4nrbs »

Thinking this morning that I need to hunt higher at the Church Buddy’s place. It's about the only way I can think of to outsmart an old doe that knows when a single leaf is out of place. May make playing the wind a little easier to. The area is small and surrounded by people’s yards so moving around is very difficult.

How high do you hunt? I’m thinking around 20 to start.

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
AJ01

Re: How High

Post by AJ01 »

On average my tree stands are about 15 feet. And yes, the most irritating thing in the world is that crusty old Doe that knows everything, or at least THINKS she knows everything and will blow, snort and have an outright "fit" at anything that just might, just maybe, not be right! :problem:
Had one of those on a place a few years back. She was an absolute pain. Finally sent my son down there to sit with his .260 Remington. Problem solved. :thumbup:
That's tough to do in an urban environment. Can you hang two (2) stands? Maybe a decoy deer? :think:
I've heard of guys hanging a shirt on a bush and hunting opposite of that hanging shirt.
I wish you luck.
My season has pretty much been in the tank this year. Seems like every stinking oilfield company waited until deer season to work on wells, or reclaim right-of-ways. I've had a "workover rig" on my best place since November. Trucks in and out all day. Deer haven't gone anywhere, just never on camera anymore until about 2am... :wtf:
I think the local Game Warden might frown on me hunting at that time... :D :lol: :D

I hope you get her taken care of in a "freezer" kind of way!! :thumbup:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Been using a combination of Ground Blinds and a climbing tree stand. Probably best to just use the climbing tree stand until I get her. Very easy to over saturate this area since it is so small. She seems to be on full alert from the beginning of archery season until the end. The other deer seem to take their cue from her and go nocturnal or just avoid the area.
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I had a doe like that years ago and she would always look right at me in a tree and blow. It was when I first got my crossbow. I would see her come out in a field corner every other night from the woods . I decided since I wouldn't have to try and draw the crossbow to sit in some bushes just off the corner with a good rest and the bow set so I wouldn't need to hardly move. She came out just before dark and the rest is history she didn't go 30 yards !
janesy

Post by janesy »

What about setting up in front of the stand she looks at and put a pillow with a hat up there so when she looks up at the hunter decoy you can be down wind elsewhere with a shot from behind
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

To answer the question directly, I had a doe with two fawns last season. They would play under me and she would stare constantly.
I moved the stand from 17 to 21 feet and it didn't make a difference. I did not change tree tho.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have leveling climbers and use a 50’ pull up rope doubled up and knotted that I tie to my seat rail. I climb until I feel tension. That’s a bit over 20 feet to the platform. They say 18’ to insure the thermals lift your scent. When the trees are bare, it’s easy to get busted from a distance, gets tough as the season goes on in my opinion.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:26 am
Thinking this morning that I need to hunt higher at the Church Buddy’s place. It's about the only way I can think of to outsmart an old doe that knows when a single leaf is out of place. May make playing the wind a little easier to. The area is small and surrounded by people’s yards so moving around is very difficult.

How high do you hunt? I’m thinking around 20 to start.

Bill
.....Bill, I have an idea....why not hunt from the bell tower in the church :eusa-think: :eusa-snooty: ....

....just an idea! :mrgreen:

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

I remember watching once that showed a doe come into the same clearing every day and look up at the tree stand, whether anyone was in it or not, so she obviously learned once when someone was in the stand.
I would agree with putting some sort of decoy distraction in the stand and position yourself downwind opposite to where she would be. Should offer you a shot while she's distracted with the decoy.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Could you utilize a ghost blind make your self invisible
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

There were five bucks and two doe taken from my primary stand this season, not all by me obviously. The seat is at about 23 feet. The tree has an upward bending limb that forks off at about 16 feet and the main fork at about 24 feet. The chain from my hang on is through the main fork so I have three tree trunks around me for some cover.

At that height, they never notice a hunter in the tree unless you move a lot of make a lot of noise. I bought a couple of the 20' climbing sticks and pieced together a 24' version.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

gerald strine wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:25 pm
Thought about that but they are so darn expensive.
Bill
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
janesy

Post by janesy »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:47 pm
gerald strine wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:25 pm
Thought about that but they are so darn expensive.
Bill
Just wait until someone is tossing out those old sliding closet mirror doors
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
RobD

Post by RobD »

I have an old doe that beds 20 yards from my box which is 16-20' on top of a hill (dirt pile from digging the pond). She picks us out every year. I keep her around because she has twins every year and is only one of two does that beds on my property. Does bring the bucks, so the does get left alone unless there is one that needs culling for health reasons.

We have learned to just be very still and not open the window until it is time it was recommended to me to have a dummy person sit in the blind year round, then she would get used to the silhouette in the box and not pay attention to us during the season.

I didn't try it this year, yet we were able to still take 2 bucks in her presence. Me and the boys just got real dilligent at being quiet and still.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I'm not afraid of heights by no means but l never exceed 15 feet.
Ladder stands brushed in real good sometimes l wire tie whole small saplings up the ladder and find some cedars that hold leaves even dead reallly help.
Having scent in check no need to be higher .
I have actually seen my ghosblind outperform the trees when the winter comes because it is indeed harder to blend in when up in a tree. . Most deer have never dealt with a ghostblind as long as scent is controlled the ghosblind will fool em. They are a expensive piece of plastic but definitely work I love mine.
Last edited by longbow joe on Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.