O/T Shotgun Turkey Hunters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

O/T Shotgun Turkey Hunters

Post by xcaliber »

Folks, I decided to get into turkey hunting with the Kid this spring. I bought a shotgun, etc. Question is, scope or something else for sights? Gun has a sight rail piece, and front brass bead. Kid says use sights, or wait. I think a 1.75 - 4 x 32 would be ideal for my old eyes, help!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Deaf jeff

Re: O/T Shotgun Turkey Hunters

Post by Deaf jeff »

i have not turkey hunted in a few years now but when i did i used a red dot sight worked well for me
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I use a Trijicon front sight that slides onto the rail of my Mossberg 930
If I remember right it came with a front and rear orange glow sight but I only ever used the front. It’s much brighter than what comes on the gun and completely blocks it out when I put it on. I don’t even remove the factory sight when I install it.
This works fine for me because of the thick cover in the swamps of South Georgia it’s usually a oh s*#! moment when you see the bird and shoulder quickly and shoot.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I used a simmons pro diamond scope 4x32 worked like a charm took a lot of turkeys with it I have to use a scope . you will get many different answers
Last edited by hunter with MS on Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

Red dot for me.
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Ive never hunted turkeys but used a 1.5-5 and a 1.75-4 scope for years deer hunting here in the thick woods of New Brunswick. while still hunting I always made sure the scopes were turned down as low as possible. Just gives a better field of view in the thickets allowing for better target acquisition. Just that little magnification cleared everything up. I can only assume it would improve/enhance your turkey hunting.

Good Luck
Wayne
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Dan, Been hunting turkeys 45 years and guided 20+ of those. I recommend using your factory bead and patterning your gun so you'll know exactly where to hold when you get a opportunity. The No. 1 reason I saw people miss turkeys when I was a guide was having there gun choked too tight! You'll have to shoot a lot of birds at 15/20 yards at times due to the woods greening up. Very easy to miss when they're close!
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
janesy

Post by janesy »

My 11/87 and 870 have irons with truglo or whatever the factory offering is. Both barrels being 20".
I also have a supermag 23" ribbed barrel with snowman style double bead. That barrel has taken lots of turkey, deer and coyotes.

After going full circle turkey hunting, I've returned to a minimalist style of turkey hunting. 3/4 of the time I drop the vest in the bush and go in with a gun and mouth call.
If you think the marketing for deer is intense, wait until you shop for turkey stuff.

Remember this, they are as dumb as you think they are. But they are afraid of absolutely everything. When you start giving them credit for outsmarting you, you've lost the game. They hold up and stand in one place because they are dumb .. Not smart. Don't fall for the marketing hype, get out and enjoy the best season the year has to offer and enjoy yourself. Then wreck the serenity with a shotgun blast to its head hahaha!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

8ptbuk wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:56 pm
Dan, Been hunting turkeys 45 years and guided 20+ of those. I recommend using your factory bead and patterning your gun so you'll know exactly where to hold when you get a opportunity. The No. 1 reason I saw people miss turkeys when I was a guide was having there gun choked too tight! You'll have to shoot a lot of birds at 15/20 yards at times due to the woods greening up. Very easy to miss when they're close!
Good point Mike! I shot clean past a big Tom's head back in April. It's easy to miss up close. Everyone talks about how far away you can jelly a Turkey's head, but forgets to practise for the up close one too
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have a 870 Turkey gun with a fuller than full choke and a luepold 4 power it's great but l had some days when a bird came in so darn early that the scope was actually a hinder . So now l prefer just a bead. Most of the shotgun turkeys l killed were less than 15 yards honestly a modified or cylinder with the 3 inch shell could have smoked them. I think the full fuller than full chokes these days are far unnecessary at least for my personal Turkey hunting. That's probably why l use the bow now after the 20th one the shotgun gets a little old.
But any Turkey hunting is fun gun or bow you will have to adjust for yourself l killed a lot with an old 10 guage single shot with #5s it was really hard to miss with that one,a jillion pellets no scope needed .
I have an old Steven's 12 gauge double that has had the chokes "professionally " wacked off.lt is my rabbit/woodcock/grouse gun it is basically improved cylinder but that gun has killed many many Turkeys inside 25 yards with the heavy shot combo shot size Turkey loads its plenty tight for devastating head kills .
Last edited by longbow joe on Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Pattern your gun and pattern your gun before each season the bead on your shotgun works just fine unless you like gadgets.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Go red dot and sight in and pattern your gun to hit where the dot is.

It takes the guess work out of it!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Same problem as a scope the red dot is blinding in low light
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Robinsons Rebel

Post by Robinsons Rebel »

I think I've used just about everything out there. I would use fiber optics over plain bead sights. Just easier to see in all light conditions. I prefer a Simmons Pro Diamond scope overall. Just works better for me.A legal bird for me has to have at least a 6 inch beard so a scope helps me out.If the head of the turkey fits in the diamond in the scope, I know its 40 yards. It gives you a definate aim point and believe you're able to pattern your gun better. I use a shot gun saddle so I can use open sights if too close.Plus my eyes aren't as good as they used to be. First time turkey hunters, I'd tell you to start simple.After a few turkey duels, you'll know what to change if you have to.
2016 Matrix Grizzly (Red Bud)
18¨ Diablo lumenok bolts
100 gr. Trailblazer broadheads
Nikon Bolt XR
R.E.D.S
String by xcaliber
"There are only two seasons in a year.. hunting season and waiting for hunting season"
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

If you want to take the guess work out get a good reflex sight. I have Burris fastfire 3 works best for me. No guessing put the dot on wattles pull trigger. I have used a pro Damond and open sights. Problem is even though they are a dumb bird as some have said they will mess u up. They come in sometimes where you need to turn yourself into an odd aim point. And if you can’t line up sights just watch them walk. But with a reflex if the dot is on the bird it’s dead. I have never had a problem with light conditions they have various powers and auto plus if its to dark it’s probably not shooting time .