O/T Shotgun Turkey Hunters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Re: O/T Shotgun Turkey Hunters

Post by xcaliber »

I'm reading everything I can especially the posts here! Going to my local gun shop tomorrow morning to talk to one of their turkey hunting guru's & pick his brain a bit too. So far what I got is great, thanks! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

tcwild wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:12 pm
xcaliber wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:53 pm
Doe Master wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:51 am
Use what you want . But if using beads remember to get that cheek down on the stock . Many a turkeys life has been spared by a angry swarm of 5`s sailed over the head . :shock:
Kinda thinking about starting with #5 shot from reading this & that, anyone have suggestions for brand, size, etc. :eusa-popcorn:

Thanks guys!
If your going with a 20ga I'd look at the Federal Heavywieght # 7's. Real nice even pattern with plenty of pellets in my guns.
I heard the same thing a few years ago. I have never tried them and am not sure what type choke or constriction they are using.
janesy

Post by janesy »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:35 pm
I'm reading everything I can especially the posts here! Going to my local gun shop tomorrow morning to talk to one of their turkey hunting guru's & pick his brain a bit too. So far what I got is great, thanks! :thumbup:
Good idea, talk to lots of guy. Turkey hunters love to talk as long as you don't ask where the farm is lol.
You can go as crazy as you want Dan, but I think all will agree regardless of what gun, or ammo, or brand of camo you like, there are only three things that matter.

1) don't move a muscle
2) pattern density
3) get proficient with a call, doesn't matter what kind. (we haven't even got to that yet)

Everything else is personal preference.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I also have a buddy in Kansas that shot the longbeard xr 20 gauge load last year and liked it. I believe it came in #5 shot.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I would say the number one thing is actually having access to land that has turkeys on or near it lol
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:38 pm
I also have a buddy in Kansas that shot the longbeard xr 20 gauge load last year and liked it. I believe it came in #5 shot.
Winchester Long Beard XR in #5 I think I'm going to try. Read & purchased one choke already that recommends this load. Got the Carlson Long Beard XR choke ordered on amazon, be here Sunday! I'm on a roll man! :crazy: :thumbup:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:41 pm
I would say the number one thing is actually having access to land that has turkeys on or near it lol
The farm we deer hunted this year has plenty of turkey. We would hear them every morning just to the south of where we were mostly hunting. We have permission already locked down so that part is covered. :thumbup: :eusa-dance:

I think the number one thing for me now is not to blow it if I get a shot! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

xcaliber wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:48 pm
Timbrhuntr wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:41 pm
The farm we deer hunted this year has plenty of turkey. We would hear them every morning just to the south of where we were mostly hunting. We have permission already locked down so that part is covered. :thumbup: :eusa-dance:

I think the number one thing for me now is not to blow it if I get a shot! :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is awesome ! Sounds like a fun spring is in store for you guys. Nothing like hearing that first gobble on a fine spring morning and knowing you are now in the game !
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Last year I went to the Federal 3rd degrees . The pattern is consistent without holes . :)
Sometimes your best call is no call . Remember the hen is supposed to go to the tom . So overcalling just don`t sound right to him . But hunters at times are hunting the gobble more than the gobbler . :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Plain Jane Remington Nitro #5 turkey loads have shot the most consistent out of several guns for us 12 & 20ga. It is one of the few that's buffered, so has the best chance of consistent launch. Price and availability cant be beat either. I pick them up at year end clearance deals. I am already set for life, with many $3-5/box finds. Some turkey loads can cost well over $5/shot.

Any sight that shoots to poa is all you need. Not all loads hit where the bead or sights point to. Then you either need a scope, dot, etc, or try different loads to regulate the poi.

Several different calls to use. Everyone will have a different answer or favorite. We have killed every bird using box calls, but we hunt mostly ground blinds. A mouth call will be safer if sitting exposed to keep movement down. I have killed last two in a chair wearing a homemade gillie suit with a box call, just got to be careful.

Lots of fun. Once you get one coming in and gobbling, you will find its as addicting as crack. Lol. Good luck!
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Doe Master wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:24 am
Last year I went to the Federal 3rd degrees . The pattern is consistent without holes . :)
Sometimes your best call is no call . Remember the hen is supposed to go to the tom . So overcalling just don`t sound right to him . But hunters at times are hunting the gobble more than the gobbler . :lol:
I never understand this. The best part of turkey hunting is calling to them. I am not sure how any calling doesn't sound right to a tom in spring. The problem arises from set up if a tom comes to where he believes the hen should be and is not he will hang up waiting for it to show or come to him. However if you call in the right set up he will come to you and in range. The only thing I do agree on no call is when the tom has committed and is coming close or when he is still on the roost (but there are exceptions to this too). Better to shut up and let him look until he is in range hopefully.
If you have ever seen and heard a hot hen calling for a tom you would see what I meam. I have heard hens call non-stop until a tom answered then when he got close shut up and either wait or go to him. Of course if you are using decoys especially a tom decoy this changes and yes you probably don't need a call or to use one much.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Thanks, I’m going to try those 3 loads. Already thinking about a box call, supposedly the easiest to learn with from what I’ve read. :thumbup:
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Easiest call is probably a push type box call. It's basically a push in knob or plunger that makes a Yelp.

You can almost start a riot talking about what call type is best or when to make what sound. Lol.

As for a decoy, we use a styrofoam ball with tail feathers stuck in. Mount it to a rod and push in the ground. Or just a fan on a rod.

Again, have killed every bird to our names this way. Just need to watch some YouTube videos to understand the jist of it.

You can spend hundreds and hundreds on Avian x decoys if you got deep pockets. They look cool and lifelike as heck. But not needed imo. Others will differ.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

A box call is basically bomb proof it's all you need .
A little push
button is helpful for close up.
I'm a gagger cant do a mouth call
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

longbow joe wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:53 pm
A box call is basically bomb proof it's all you need .
A little push
button is helpful for close up.
I'm a gagger cant do a mouth call
I would probably choke on one too Joe! The Kid has gotten two a year for the past 4, or 5 years and says he'll call mine in the first time. :thumbup: He uses a box call that costs like $30. I went out to pick up some sale items, no turkey loads anywhere. Not on discount anyway. Got some from Mack's Prairie Wings, spend over $99, free shipping! I won't admit how much I spent! :eusa-naughty: Got a few boxes of 3 loads coming, that's all I'll admit to! :eusa-shifty: