Busted/Broke Swhacker 150g Broadhead.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AJ01

Busted/Broke Swhacker 150g Broadhead.

Post by AJ01 »

This is an aluminum insert from a standard Easton Quill 16.5 fired out of a Micro Suppressor. The original arrow/bolt was flung at a nice buck early in my season down here in Texas.
Buck was 26 yards away at moment of impact. Quartering away. Head down feeding.
Broadhead was a 150 grain Shwacker. 16.5 Easton Quill with Lumenok.
Never found the buck and only found the bolt today. About 10 yards away from where original shot occurred. Bolt was buried in a bunch of brush. :eusa-doh:

Looks like the screw in part of the broadhead broke off where it attached to the insert. Complete failure if you ask me. Must have hit the buck in the shoulder and caused the head to snap off leaving the broadhead in the bone???? :think:
I did catch a glimpse on camera of a buck with what appeared to be a shoulder wound about 6 weeks AFTER the shot.
Looks like he survived. :thumbup:

Inserts fault or Broadheads?? :think:

Anyone else have this type of "stuff" :wtf: occur????

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Re: Busted/Broke Swhacker 150g Broadhead.

Post by janesy »

Don't take this the wrong way, but if that arrow hit shoulder and broke off the insert and Broadhead. That's not an equiptment failure. That's the result of bad luck, bad shot placement, or both .
Who knows, if he moved at the same instant the trigger was pulled, twig in the way.

Hopefully he survives and you can get him next year and follow up.

But that provides an opportunity for a great lesson, never use your fist to separate hide on wild game when you are skinning. You never know what's left hiding in there
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

The way I sse it a prior stress on the insert after being hammered into targets could have potentially developed a stress crack on the insert.

Nothing is 100 %.

I have experienced the same type of failure back in the early 2000's one time.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
janesy

Post by janesy »

Normous wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:47 pm
The way I sse it a prior stress on the insert after being hammered into targets could have potentially developed a stress crack on the insert.

Nothing is 100 %.

I have experienced the same type of failure back in the early 2000's one time.
Hard to say, I thought that initially, then thought the corroded crack line was probably from laying in the elements for a few months .
Who knows
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

Obviously from the top photo right side you can see elongation of the inside insert indicating extreme stress in that direction .

The deer's reaction to the hit put extreme sidways pressure on the Swacker BH causing the failure as seen. A prior small stress fracture would cause a week point and eventual failure.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
janesy

Post by janesy »

Normous wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:44 pm
Obviously from the top photo right side you can see elongation of the inside insert indicating extreme stress in that direction .

The deer's reaction to the hit put extreme sidways pressure on the Swacker BH causing the failure as seen. A prior small stress fracture would cause a week point and eventual failure.
I don't disagree, in fact I think your 100% correct. With the Shwacker being fairly long it would help provide leverage to break the ferrule.
Regarding the crack, I was simply commenting that after aluminum sits in the bush for months, it's nearly impossible to determine whether or not the crack was from the impact on the bone or a contributing factor to the breakage from a previous impact. From internet pics at least. :thumbup:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

janesy wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:16 pm
Normous wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:44 pm

I don't disagree, in fact I think your 100% correct. With the Shwacker being fairly long it would help provide leverage to break the ferrule.
Regarding the crack, I was simply commenting that after aluminum sits in the bush for months, it's nearly impossible to determine whether or not the crack was from the impact on the bone or a contributing factor to the breakage from a previous impact. From internet pics at least. :thumbup:

One thing for sure is that there was some serious lateral pressure to break the collar off the insert, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/wy6MVX78][img]https://i.postimg.cc/26WWCTY6/20191028-165350.jpg[/img

After using the hybrid this year l have come to the perspective or should l say personal opinion that the swhacker uses a lot more energy deploying than other heads like the xact or spitfires.
I killed a buck and 3 does with the below head and all 4 died in 75 yards and left decent blood . ...but poor penetration...
I thought it was the vixen on the first but the other 3 were killed with my 330 and 355 and l got a pass thru only with the 355.
I later killed a buck with my vixen with a nap shockwave
In the same area and l cut thru like butter.
I know that these aren't scientific experiments but l have seen enough.
I actually think I'm gonna try the big 150 for Turkey this spring l purchased them also l like the wide cut The Turkeys dont need the energy that a deer does.
As for the failure l think the bolt insert or broad head ferrel was possibly weak before hand but who knows ...we all had shoulder hits and they usually end up as you have experienced
Chalk it up as experience.
I have had shoulder hits with a 355 and a slick trick and actually blew thru and later with difficulty found the buck.
Nothing wrong with the swhacker like l said l just think a lot more energy is needed than other expandable broadheads when it does its swivel thing.
Think of it we all have shot thru deer with a regular expandable or conventional and hit dirt and still had a sharp blade is the swivel fresh blade concept really that necessary?...or a gimmick...l love the wide cut but l think the swivel thing is unnecessary as proven buy the normal above mentioned expandables
Last edited by longbow joe on Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

[url=https://postimg.cc/wy6MVX78]Image
I love trying new things....l tried em .they worked but not liking em enough to use em again
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
elkaholic

Post by elkaholic »

We had a wasp jackhammer do basically same thing.
3 blade mech.
Quartering away at 25 yrds from 15ft elevated stand.
Very little blood Found bolt with threads inside the insert
Whole broadhead had snapped off.
No penetration blood and o ring 1/2 ,in up shaft.
Brand new never shot. We sent in pics. There engineering dept. States possible slack in process of making. Threaded end had been under discussion of better milling process.

They replaced with set new Havilon broadheads.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

My guess is you hit the shoulder blade and the broadhead imbeded it's self in the bone and the deer ran and broke the shaft ,insert on brush or a tree .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Jus my opinion, yer B-head hit the protruding thick bone on the shoulder causing the extreme pressure on the B-head shank n insert. I havebeen usin up my all alum. ferrule B-head. I am usin my steel fixed on my game animals, usin the alum. on varmits
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

The bolt that I shot the buck with had been shot maybe 2-4 times at a target bag with a practice tip. Placing the actual broadhead on the shaft I saw no issues. The only reason I was using this setup (factory Quill) was because I was waiting on new arrows to arrive. Brass inserts. :wink:
As was pointed out, the face of the insert is elongated. I believe this to be due to the amount of torque/foot pounds of energy upon impact with bone. Also I'm pretty sure the discoloration comes from being exposed to the elements for 60 plus days.
The rest of the insert was nice and shiny upon it's removal from the bolt. Looking at it closely with the aid of a magnifying glass, (Keep your comments to yourself about eyesight :shh: ) :lol: :D
I could find no evidence of any other stress fractures or cracks in the insert.

I accept full responsibility for the shot. :wtf: I'm pretty sure the buck turned back toward me just as I pulled the trigger. I've shot other deer and hogs with this setup (the 150 Swhacker), or one's close to it and never had a breakage like this. They've always worked great for me.

Will I use the Swhacker brand broadheads again? Yes Sir! I like 'em! :thumbup: This was my fault.

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

gerald strine wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:39 am
My guess is you hit the shoulder blade and the broadhead imbeded it's self in the bone and the deer ran and broke the shaft ,insert on brush or a tree .
[/quote

My thoughts exactly!!
AJ
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

vixenmaster wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:29 am
Jus my opinion, yer B-head hit the protruding thick bone on the shoulder causing the extreme pressure on the B-head shank n insert. I havebeen usin up my all alum. ferrule B-head. I am usin my steel fixed on my game animals, usin the alum. on varmits
[/quote

That's why I've gone to brass inserts.
AJ