hard case question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dow

hard case question

Post by dow »

Hey, First post here. I just bought a Matrix BD360, and am looking for a case too carry it in with the bow disconnected form the stock. I'd like to use a rifle case, but am having issues finding one that will work. Is anybody else using a rifle case to carry their crossbow in? the one I was looking at using is the Plano AW2 52" case: https://www.planomolding.com/hunting/gun-cases/aw2tm-52-rifle-shotgun-case.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
dow
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
janesy

Re: hard case question

Post by janesy »

If you are removing the front riser assembly, you should take a look at the Excalibur explorer case.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
dow

Post by dow »

Will it fit a matrix? What I read on it mentioned models and assassins, but not the matrixes (matrices).
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX

hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

look for a double rifle case .
janesy

Post by janesy »

dow wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:05 am
Will it fit a matrix? What I read on it mentioned models and assassins, but not the matrixes (matrices).
I didn't realize you wanted a hard case. The explorer is not hard. But it will fit matrixes. The 420TD fits in it
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....welcome aboard to the Excalibur train....

....a lot of good information from very knowledgeable people here!

....and yes the soft Excalibur case should fit the bill if you wanted to go that way....
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
dow

Post by dow »

While I don't necessarily have to have a hard case, I do want something that will protect the crossbow and give me the ability to store it without taking up a gob of room. There's a bass pro shops close to me, so maybe I can get by there in the next week or two and look at one, assuming that they have them in stock.

The problem I'm finding with respect to hard cases is that they all seem to be about 2" too narrow. If I could find one that was just a bit wider it would help. The case I referenced (plano AW2 52) has internal measurements of 51.5" x 14", less the wheel well cut-outs at the end. and then the pick and pull foam has a border around it, limiting the max width to about 12-3/4" and the max length to maybe 49" With the length of the Matrix limbs and the stock w/ scope, there's just not enough room, although there's LOTS of wasted room too. I guess I could remove the scope, but I'd much rather leave it on.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX

Boo

Post by Boo »

Although I've never flown anywhere to hunt with a crossbow, I've never felt the need for a hard case or anything more than a padded cloth case. Excaliburs do not need much to protect them. I do not believe that you need hard core protection but if I thought it was going to be handled by a bunch of tarmac monkeys, I'd use an SKB or Pelican case which would take a lot of room. But really, this one would be more than what you need. https://www.planomolding.com/hunting/gun-cases/rifle-cases/se-seriestm-double-rifle-shotgun-case
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

If flights are travel are in the plan, I started couriering my fishing gear to the location. It's $35 to courier a package or $100 the check it on a plane. And I'd put my money on Air Canada to damage it way before Purolator does
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
dow

Post by dow »

Nah, flights aren't in the plans, I just need something to stare it in when I'm not using it, and it just takes up too much room assembled. I'm going to try the explore case. Will let you know how it works out.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and recommendations!
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX