Unscientific fixed broadhead test

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Unscientific fixed broadhead test

Post by DuckHunt »

After tossing over a hundred arrows with my Micro 400, I decided to bring out the Micro 335 for some fixed broadhead testing. I made up a matching dozen Spynal Taps for my brother and I with brass inserts and Lumenoks. Since I talked him into a Micro Axe, I decided to give him some suggestions on good fixed broadheads by testing with a similar speed platform.

I had five 100gr fixed heads available to test.

1) Wasp Drone (1-1/8" 3-blade)
2) Blackout Toxic (1-1/16" 3-blade)
3) Excalibur Boltcutter (1-1/16" 3-blade)
4) G5 Striker (1-1/8" 3-blade)
5) Slick Trick Grizztrick 2 (1-1/4" 4 blade)

With the first cocking of the Micro 335, I had forgotten how much I really love it. The cocking stroke is so short compared to the 400. It is also significantly quieter. The ~410gr arrows seem to fly near perfection out of the Micro 335. After a few quick shots at 20 yards to confirm my zero, I fired each broadhead only once on different arrows each aimed at a 2" circle at 20 yards using a rest. Four of the five arrows hit the 2" circles at 20 yards. The Grizztrick was about 1/2" outside the circle. I fired it a second time and it hit the circle, so the first shot may have been shooter error and/or the wind.

Conclusion: With this setup, it really doesn't matter what fixed broadhead is used at 20 yards. They all fly well.

I moved the targets back to 40 yards. The first shot with a field tip was dead center, so the broadheads got sent downrange. The Wasp Drone and Blackout Toxic scored hits. The Excalibur Boltcutter was just outside the circle. The G5 Striker and Grizztrick were about 1" outside the circle.

Conclusion: All of these broadheads are accurate enough at 40 yards with this setup, but some do appear to rise to the top given the minuscule sample size.

Just for grins, I backed up the targets to 60 yards. I fired one shot with a field tip to gauge the drop and confirm my accuracy. I then fired only the Wasp Drone and the Blackout Toxic. The Wasp Drone, just like at 20 and 40 yards, hit the 2" circle at 60 yards with one shot. The Blackout Toxic was off by about an inch, but that could have easily been shooter error.

Conclusion: Though I wouldn't fire one of these two heads that far in a hunting situation, both the Wasp Drone and Blackout Toxic appear to fly excellent with this arrow setup in a Micro 335/Axe 340 class of bow. Both of these broadheads appear to fly as accurate as I'm capable of shooting them.

For those who have invested in a Micro Axe platform, if you equip yourself with arrows with brass inserts, then you should be able screw on just about any fixed broadhead you want and find success.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
xcaliber

Re: Unscientific fixed broadhead test

Post by xcaliber »

Good experiment, I think many folks will appreciate the information when looking at heads to try. Fun to do too!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
CBRon

Post by CBRon »

Thanks for the great test , soon as it warms up I have to test also..
Could you tell me what vanes you use , and are they fletched helical..
Those are some great groups with broadheads.. Thanks.
VIXEN 2 , PHOENIX
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

CBRon wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:05 am
Could you tell me what vanes you use , and are they fletched helical..
Good question, because it does matter. These bolts are fletched right helical with the EZ Fletch Bolt jig using 2" Blazer vanes.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
janesy

Post by janesy »

I agree on the WASP drones. They are lazer beams from all my micros. Very underrated head in my opinion.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
bbahunter

Post by bbahunter »

Doesn't surprise me about the Wasp Drone, been using them for years and always excellent results.
Suppressor 355
roly

Post by roly »

X3 on the drones.
I agree wasp broadheads are “ very underrated “

I just got some PX2 broad heads that I have been wanting to try, but will wait till it get warmer.