WooHoo.......got my first coyote!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Reinyrooster

WooHoo.......got my first coyote!!

Post by Reinyrooster »

What an exciting morning! The fist sit on my buddies farm was a bust but I wasn't expecting much there. Then went to a sheep farm that we deer hunt on. The owner has asked us to try to control the local coyote population so there I was.
So I stepped through a row of pine trees that are at the top of a ridge. From there you can see the entire field, the far side is about 200 yards dead ahead and it's probably about 400 yards wide. So I stepped through the row of trees and moved along for about 30' until I found a nice spot to tuck myself into in the pines, not even thinking about checking out the field. Found my spot, put down my bag and look up into the field to see 2 coyotes out near the far end of the field about 200 yards out and heading away from me......another minute or so and they would be out of the field into the bush and gone.....of course my heart starts racing.....I put down my gear....no time to get my shooting tripod set up....down on one knee....take aim at the furthest one and squeeze one off......swing and a miss! That one starts to panic and speeds up toward the edge of the field so I squeeze off one more....heart still racing.....you guessed it...another clean miss.
OK dummy....slow down...take a few deep breaths while the other coyote is prancing around in circles not knowing what's happening....deep breath....aim and squeeze....BINGO...down she goes!!
I'm still on one knee trying to catch my breath and figure out what just happened......when a HUGE coyote comes running full tilt from my left across in front of me at 30 yards!!! Needless to say I'm caught off guard....didn't see him coming at all, no idea where he came from.....so I swing around and toss one his way......yup...another clean miss......and now I'm laughing....my clip holds four shells and I left the rest of the shells in my truck.....as I watch the big one speeding across the field and out of sight.
Was trying to text my hunting buddies.....could barely hold the phone. Guess where I'm gonna be next weekend?
I have pics but don't know how to post them.......if someone can assist with that it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Gonna put my sore feet up tonight and enjoy a beverage to celebrate my first yote.
Boo

Re: WooHoo.......got my first coyote!!

Post by Boo »

Congratulations! A shotgun with buckshot might come in handy.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bigbowman

Post by bigbowman »

Congrats on your first yote! 👍
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Congrats on the yote and great story RR and if you email a couple of pics to me at [email protected] I’ll post them for you. You can also find instruction on posting pics in the first topic of the “other” tab.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
janesy

Post by janesy »

Reinyrooster wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:19 pm
What an exciting morning! The fist sit on my buddies farm was a bust but I wasn't expecting much there. Then went to a sheep farm that we deer hunt on. The owner has asked us to try to control the local coyote population so there I was.
So I stepped through a row of pine trees that are at the top of a ridge. From there you can see the entire field, the far side is about 200 yards dead ahead and it's probably about 400 yards wide. So I stepped through the row of trees and moved along for about 30' until I found a nice spot to tuck myself into in the pines, not even thinking about checking out the field. Found my spot, put down my bag and look up into the field to see 2 coyotes out near the far end of the field about 200 yards out and heading away from me......another minute or so and they would be out of the field into the bush and gone.....of course my heart starts racing.....I put down my gear....no time to get my shooting tripod set up....down on one knee....take aim at the furthest one and squeeze one off......swing and a miss! That one starts to panic and speeds up toward the edge of the field so I squeeze off one more....heart still racing.....you guessed it...another clean miss.
OK dummy....slow down...take a few deep breaths while the other coyote is prancing around in circles not knowing what's happening....deep breath....aim and squeeze....BINGO...down she goes!!
I'm still on one knee trying to catch my breath and figure out what just happened......when a HUGE coyote comes running full tilt from my left across in front of me at 30 yards!!! Needless to say I'm caught off guard....didn't see him coming at all, no idea where he came from.....so I swing around and toss one his way......yup...another clean miss......and now I'm laughing....my clip holds four shells and I left the rest of the shells in my truck.....as I watch the big one speeding across the field and out of sight.
Was trying to text my hunting buddies.....could barely hold the phone. Guess where I'm gonna be next weekend?
I have pics but don't know how to post them.......if someone can assist with that it would be appreciated. Thanks.
Gonna put my sore feet up tonight and enjoy a beverage to celebrate my first yote.
That's awesome Reiny! Put the hurt on them.
A sheep farm, or a cattle farm with a dead pile is basically regenerating target practice

And a 12 bore is a must as Don mentioned, I've had multiple hits when the dog comes out of nowhere within 30 yards. You've got 2 seconds from the time you realize what's going on, get the shotgun and hit him after he's done his 180 and split!
Hunting Ontario farmland is not like the TV where the dog runs straight at you for 2 minutes before you can hit it up close with the shotgun. Don't be surprised if one walks out of the treeline beside you upwind and doesn't see you.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats! Sounds like you had a great time!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Pics of Reiny's success!
:thumbup:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

Congrats rainy.. that one has a beautiful coat on it!!
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Thanks everyone. Yes she looked like a healthy animal.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on your first yote!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Thanks for posting. Congrats.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Nice yote! Congrats on your first. It sounds like you've found a spot where multiple more may be in your future.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

This sheep farmer who's property I was on tells me that they are a problem around his farm.
You know where I'm gonna be next weekend!
bbahunter

Post by bbahunter »

Congrats on the song dog, hopefully many more to drop. :thumbup:
Suppressor 355
janesy

Post by janesy »

Reinyrooster wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:36 pm
This sheep farmer who's property I was on tells me that they are a problem around his farm.
You know where I'm gonna be next weekend!
Not sure what kind of caller you have, but for FoxPro you can download "lamb in distress" it would be like ringing a dinner bell at that farm
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme