UPDATE: Micro use in WV is now legal.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

UPDATE: Micro use in WV is now legal.

Post by DuckHunt »

When WV finally allowed full inclusion for crossbows during archery season a few years ago, they tossed in a ridiculous rule with little purpose. They required that all arrows/bolts be at least 18" long insert to nock. This pretty much meant that you couldn't hunt with any of the Micro series bows using their stock arrows.

I picked up a Matrix 350 SE to use in WV for what few hunts I do here, but I've been pushing my WV politicians and following whether they got it done. Well, the bill SB 470 has passed both chambers and is sitting on the Governors desk awaiting signature. It seems that this year we'll finally get it done. I'm not sure about other states, but everything in WV regarding the outdoors is coded into state law. If any changes are needed, it literally takes an act of congress. Progress is very slow.

They still have the crazy language, but will lower the length requirement to 16" as measured from the front of the insert to the back of the nock. So Micro users will be legal with stock arrows. Custom arrow makers will just have to be aware not to cut them down shorter than 16" for WV users.

I'm not sure why they have this rule in the first place. It kind of reminds me of the states that set maximum draw weight limits without considering that not all crossbows are designed the same.
Last edited by DuckHunt on Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
bigbowman

Re: Legal Micro use in WV is almost there.

Post by bigbowman »

Thank goodness that it’s a minimum of 14” for crossbow arrows here in Wisconsin! Good luck!
Burky247365 Custom Scorpyd Orion Extreme
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Typical government idiocy undertaken by people who know absolutely nothing about anything, but yet think they know it all. :eusa-doh: As my dear old Grandma use to say, "These are the kind of folks you'd like to buy them for what they are worth, and then sell them for what they think they are worth. You'd never have to work again a day in your life"!!! :lol:

Just my humble opinion!! :think:
AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

AJ01 wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:28 am
Typical government idiocy undertaken by people who know absolutely nothing about anything, but yet think they know it all. :eusa-doh: As my dear old Grandma use to say, "These are the kind of folks you'd like to buy them for what they are worth, and then sell them for what they think they are worth. You'd never have to work again a day in your life"!!! :lol:

Just my humble opinion!! :think:
AJ
Yes Sir!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Well, its official. The WV Governor signed the bill into law. Effective 11 May 2020, we'll be able to use 16" arrows in our crossbows as measured from the front of the insert to the end of the nock. Effectively, that means a Micro using stock arrows or the equivalent will be legal starting next season.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

DuckHunt wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:23 pm
Well, its official. The WV Governor signed the bill into law. Effective 11 May 2020, we'll be able to use 16" arrows in our crossbows as measured from the front of the insert to the end of the nock. Effectively, that means a Micro using stock arrows or the equivalent will be legal starting next season.
I'm glad for you guys!
:clap: :clap: :thumbup:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
foofoo

Re: UPDATE: Micro use in WV is now legal.

Post by foofoo »

i luv my 335-355Micros so much i wouldda just used 18" arrows. my stock arrows stick out past anyway. good goin! silly laws.
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

congrats
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

DuckHunt wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:23 pm
:thumbup: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats! I love it when common sense prevails! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!