Lead free bullets

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

janesy

Lead free bullets

Post by janesy »

Who uses lead free bullets? Or has anyone experimented with them with good or bad results?

I've been playing with the idea of Nosler E-tips in my 7mm-08. Loading is slightly different for the Etips due the length of the gilded metal and extra length, but they say the extra pressure makes the same speed with 2 grains less powder.

Let's keep this one about the bullets shall we? We all know about California.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
AJ01

Re: Lead free bullets

Post by AJ01 »

Barnes LXR for the 7mm-08. 139 grains with a SD of .246 and a BC of .470. :thumbup:
The 7mm-08 is a great round!!!! My favorite for Pronghorn.

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

AJ01 wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:49 pm
Barnes LXR for the 7mm-08. 139 grains with a SD of .246 and a BC of .470. :thumbup:
The 7mm-08 is a great round!!!! My favorite for Pronghorn.

AJ
I like the 7mm-08. I currently have it loaded with 140 partitions for Deer/Moose (along with some other calibers.) I have no terminal experience with it yet. But I'm confident in the partition and it shoots well at the ranges I have set as limits. I passed on a moose last fall because the shot wasn't perfect, so as some may feel it's underfunded(altho an entire population of dead moose in Europe would disagree) I am comfortable limiting myself.

Which is why I'm looking at E-tips and non lead. The partition opens up consistently at slower speeds than the non leads, which has got me researching
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Bcxbow

Post by Bcxbow »

Barnes 168gr TTSX from 300wsm, 68gr of RL-17 powder. Great accuracy and phenomenal stopping power.
Hybrid Micro BD 360
Micro Mag 340
Boo Strings - Trinity Strings
Zombie Slayers
Swat & TOTA Broadheads
grouse

Post by grouse »

I plan to try non lead ammo this year, but I don't re-load. Any suggestions on factory loads for a .270 and a 6.5 creedmoor?
axiom
350 SE
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Tried them. Won't use them personally.

My Outfitter Buddy in Alberta tells each client not to even think of running these, or book with a different outfitter.
I personally saw why when guiding for him.
Too many lost bucks / bulls, and often those recovered with multiple hits had "pencil hole" through and through wounds.

I'll stick with my Partitions thanks. Foolproof.

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
janesy

Post by janesy »

IronNoggin wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:17 pm
Tried them. Won't use them personally.

My Outfitter Buddy in Alberta tells each client not to even think of running these, or book with a different outfitter.
I personally saw why when guiding for him.
Too many lost bucks / bulls, and often those recovered with multiple hits had "pencil hole" through and through wounds.

I'll stick with my Partitions thanks. Foolproof.

Cheers,
Nog
That was my thinking too Matt, until I read up on the velocity/impact charts and although they are not nearly as forgiving as a partition, they are still well withing speed required for a bullet to open at the distances I'd be shooting.
I also am taking into account the 7mm-08 isn't breaking any speed records. I'll probably try some, love them and then bail and go partition again in October. Of just bring a Whelen and not think about it
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Smong2000

Post by Smong2000 »

I have been using Barnes 120 grain TTX in my 7-08. They shoot exactly the same as my 120 grain Ballistic Tips with both Varget and TAC powders, sub MOA. Only have taken 3 bucks with them, all in the lungs and all bang-flops.
After seeing xrays of deer shot with high velocity lead core bullets I won't use them for anything I'm going to eat. Low velocity and hardcast lead are less concerning.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I fully believe Ironnoggin when he says that about Barnes bullets. However, I've used them for years out of my .300 Win. Mag with devastating results. I must add that I've always hit bone either going in or out. I personally love the Barnes bullets but I will defer to those with more experience than me.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Smong2000 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:54 am
After seeing xrays of deer shot with high velocity lead core bullets I won't use them for anything I'm going to eat.
My thoughts exactly. I’ve switched to Nosler E-tips (270 win) 130gr and never had any regrets, a perfect placed bullet will bring anything down that is acceptable with caliber you’re using.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I used Berger 140 gr. bullets for several years out of my 7mm-08 and even though I had pretty good accuracy I had inconsistent blood trails while recovering deer, I found them all but some of the exit holes were pretty small compared to Nosler Ballistic Tips that I had been using for years. I switched back to the tried and true ballistic tips for my deer hunting. Good luck deciding.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I have pretty much given up firearms hunting. It's so much easier to get drawn for an elk archery license than it is for a firearms license. I don't bother with deer anymore, so even though I could get a firearms deer license, I don't want one.

My first elk was shot with a .340 Wby using Barnes handloads. We tracked that sucker for a mile. Luckily there was fresh snow or he likely would have been magpie bait. Chest shot. Pencil hole. I heard that some of the production in that era had inconsistent heat treating. Some bullets were too hard to expand. That's a problem lead core bullets don't have.

On the theory that more would be better, I got a 378 Wby. If I continued using Barnes bullets, I thought that at worst, the pencil holes (if that happened again) would at least be bigger. I only shot one deer with it. The sensible thing would have been to stick with a lesser caliber and go to more reliable bullets.

Maybe Barnes now has better quality control.

Copper jacketed lead core bullets using smokeless powder have been in use for over a century. I haven't read or heard of any illness or death caused by meat contamination from lead bullets.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

I shoot Barnes TTSX 100gr. out of my 25-06 at 3400+ fps and they absolutely hammer everything they hit! They like a spotless barrel and high velocities.
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

I also like the Barnes Vor-Tx factory loads, I use 168 grains in my 308 bolt gun and 150 grainers in the AR10. They hit like a hammer and 95% of the deer I've shot since switching to them have dropped in their tracks. We can and do still use lead, I just like the ballistics and terminal performance of the copper bullets.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

My brother and l have been loading the .357s with the lead polymer coated bullets ...not lead free but l am amazed by the accuracy of these especially in the python's.
I'm taking baby steps to lead free
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.