Just thinking so far!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Just thinking so far!

Post by xcaliber »

OK, although we hunt Indiana which has liberal deer hunting rules, and an abundance of licenses available to both residents, and non-residents, and we have private land most years to hunt, there is limited numbers of trophy bucks to hunt. Although we may get an opportunity at a nice one, the idea of expanding that opportunity is something that appeals to me as I get older, and the years I have left to do this are questionable with my conditions. That said, I have decided to pursue opportunities in another state. We decided Ohio for many reasons, but mainly the closeness to our home area just in case something goes bad with my health. To drill down further we have decide to try an outfitter and picked Brushy Fork Outfitters. I have not yet locked in, but might do so next week. I would opt for a guided hunt, and their success rate is 75% on bucks coming in over 140" and there is a penalty for shooting one smaller. There are doe opportunities also for those that don't want to go home empty handed. Of course I want to kill a big buck, but wish to have the Kid get one more than myself, but hope to double up. I can hunt with my Excalibur, so win, win!
I'm conflicted however. but getting closer to pulling the proverbial trigger on the opportunity. The owners have properties in three counties in central Ohio, and thousands of acres to hunt on. In a way I feel like it's cheating or making it too easy, on the other hand I'm thinking since it is fair chase hunting, but guided it's still legitimate hunting, and I still have to make the shot. I need a push in the positive direction to commit to this. Here are my points that persuade me in that direction.
1. Opportunity is high because of the management, and restriction on taking smaller bucks.
2. I'll hunt in my traditional fashions here in Indiana before, and after the trip.
3. I can afford to do it without taking monies from the family budget.
4. I'm not getting any younger. :roll:
5. I'm still using archery equipment.

Link: http://brushyforkoutfitters.com/

We're planning on the third week of October, or possibly the last week. Please let me know your thoughts, and if anyone hunts this area, or even better has any personal experience with this outfitter. I have spoken with two guys in charge of the operations in length, and they really seem legitimate.

Thanks folks in advance, anxious to read some input, even negative actually before I drop $$ on this idea. :eusa-popcorn:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Re: Just thinking so far!

Post by janesy »

I can fish Muskie at the end of my street. I can also be on the Kawarthas in 25 minutes.

But I do everything I can to go to an outfitter in Sioux Lookout which is further from my house than the Florida Keys and twice as expensive, to chase after the elusive "Big Girls"

Go for it, if you can afford it, and it makes you happy... do it!
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

The real answer is "you only live once".

DO IT!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

dan,
as i get older the experience of a different area for deer hunting is just as important as the kill so i booked a canada rifle hunt for 2021(harris hill resort) because i have always wanted to hunt canada and i dont wanna regret not doing it. so imo go for it and it have fun!!
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
janesy

Post by janesy »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:33 pm
OK, although we hunt Indiana which has liberal deer hunting rules, and an abundance of licenses available to both residents, and non-residents, and we have private land most years to hunt, there is limited numbers of trophy bucks to hunt. Although we may get an opportunity at a nice one, the idea of expanding that opportunity is something that appeals to me as I get older, and the years I have left to do this are questionable with my conditions. That said, I have decided to pursue opportunities in another state. We decided Ohio for many reasons, but mainly the closeness to our home area just in case something goes bad with my health. To drill down further we have decide to try an outfitter and picked Brushy Fork Outfitters. I have not yet locked in, but might do so next week. I would opt for a guided hunt, and their success rate is 75% on bucks coming in over 140" and there is a penalty for shooting one smaller. There are doe opportunities also for those that don't want to go home empty handed. Of course I want to kill a big buck, but wish to have the Kid get one more than myself, but hope to double up. I can hunt with my Excalibur, so win, win!
I'm conflicted however. but getting closer to pulling the proverbial trigger on the opportunity. The owners have properties in three counties in central Ohio, and thousands of acres to hunt on. In a way I feel like it's cheating or making it too easy, on the other hand I'm thinking since it is fair chase hunting, but guided it's still legitimate hunting, and I still have to make the shot. I need a push in the positive direction to commit to this. Here are my points that persuade me in that direction.
1. Opportunity is high because of the management, and restriction on taking smaller bucks.
2. I'll hunt in my traditional fashions here in Indiana before, and after the trip.

We're planning on the third week of October, or possibly the last week. Please let me know your thoughts, and if anyone hunts this area, or even better has any personal experience with this outfitter. I have spoken with two guys in charge of the operations in length, and they really seem legitimate.

Thanks folks in advance, anxious to read some input, even negative actually before I drop $$ on this idea. :eusa-popcorn:

Thought a little harder about it. I don't think you should do it. Fact of the matter is that you don't know what the land is like. you haven't seen the accommodations. The food may be inedible. The guides could be complete mucktards. It might be too hard for you. It might be too easy for you. They may not even speak English.

So, because I'm a nice guy and just willing enough to throw myself on your perverbial grenade. Book the first trip ... and I'll go on your behalf and report back. With pics

Let me know, I'll start packing.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

janesy wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:26 pm
xcaliber wrote:

Thought a little harder about it. I don't think you should do it. Fact of the matter is that you don't know what the land is like. you haven't seen the accommodations. The food may be inedible. The guides could be complete mucktards. It might be too hard for you. It might be too easy for you. They may not even speak English.

So, because I'm a nice guy and just willing enough to throw myself on your perverbial grenade. Book the first trip ... and I'll go on your behalf and report back. With pics

:lol: :lol:
Chris, funny you say that. The Kid has a job, but is taking a test in a few weeks to get into the pipe fitters apprenticeship program. If he gets in, which I'm pretty sure will happen, he may not be able to go. Deposits are non refundable, so if he can't go, it is transferable to another person with advance notice. :eusa-dance:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

While I plan to have more than a couple decades left of hunting, we all know we don't always have control of the circumstances and they tend to change. My hunting area sounds similar in that I'd be hard pressed to ever see a 140" deer, much less harvest one. I've taken 88 deer off the property in 16 seasons and last year I got the first to gross 120". We have numbers, and that doesn't always lend itself to large antlers. If you're looking for 75"-100" bucks, then you'll be happy as a pig in slop.

If I want to harvest a 140+" deer, I'd need to go elsewhere. I've considered it and may very well try an Ohio or Kentucky outfitter at some point in the future. As our quality (healthy) hunting years wind down, having quality hunts seems more important. If you have the means, I say go for it. Just remember that its hunting. Don't be surprised if mother nature throws a warm spell right in the middle of the one week you planned all year to hunt. Its easy to adjust and take a day off when you're at home. It plainly sucks if you're out of state and committed to those dates you paid for no matter what.
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

janesy wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:26 pm
xcaliber wrote:

You beat me to it janesy. :problem: :lol: :lol:

OOps my bad. :oops:

Dave :eusa-dance:
Last edited by papa bear1 on Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Go for it Dan , you will have the time of your life. I had a chance to go to Manitoba and I had a blast . took the largest buck in camp that season. the only thing I didn't like I only hunted 35 min. :thumbup: just go and enjoy yourself
W.M.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I looked them up on another bowhunting site and they seem to have pretty good outfitters reviews. They have 41 reviews 39 5/5 and 2 4/5 and out of the 41 27 reported being successful.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Seems like ..everyone here wants to go to ohio to shoot a big one.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

longbow joe wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:02 am
Seems like ..everyone here wants to go to ohio to shoot a big one.
I'm waiting for the Kid to say yep / no. I'm working on a third guy too! 8)
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Timbrhuntr wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:58 pm
I looked them up on another bowhunting site and they seem to have pretty good outfitters reviews. They have 41 reviews 39 5/5 and 2 4/5 and out of the 41 27 reported being successful.
I spoke with them on the phone, and you can tell right off these guys have it together. I'm hoping to lock in next week. :wink:
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

As they say, Just Do It!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

My advice is to do it . :)
It is a memory that will live forever . Me and Dad did a hunt in Saskatchewan . Neither one of us shot the biggest deer but we had a blast . Our thoughts were people pay for leases or hunt camps every year and we don`t . So the money we would have spent on that went into a hunt instead .
People at times get wrapped up in the words guided hunt . If you go visit a friend to hunt on their property isn`t that a guided hunt then . You may not pay with money but bringing wobbly pops or food is still a payment of sorts .
If your son or a friend can go then it is an experience of a lifetime . A bond . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus