Just thinking so far!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Re: Just thinking so far!

Post by longbow joe »

A 150 "+ is definitely doable here but not easy.
You really have to let smaller bucks pass.
I'm getting kind of lazy not interested in driving even 2 hours for a deer that's in my backyard.
I really enjoy the mountains but in reality the deer are less in quantity and quality so its kinda pointless.
In the end any kind of hunting is fun l have had many long haul outta state adventures that were very fun especially with some one to go with.
Deer hunting and fishing are just my little couple hour getaways for me.
Being self employed taking a week off is just punishment when l return to total bedlam l would rather do a weekend and maby 2 days it's better for my
situation. Go for it dan!
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Big difference between guided and hunting with an outfitter. I have hunted with outfitters where basically they provided the place to stay and a place to hunt you did the rest. I have hunted with outfitters that said giuded but all they did was drive you to the stands they had set up and you were expected to hunt only that stand > Some took you to it and others just gave directions and sent you on your way but said guided lol. On the other side I have hunted with an outfitter were you were guided. A guy went with you did all the calling set up choices etc I did not like that at all. Most hunts with outfitters are around 5 days so unless you are a genius it will take that long to figure out where to put a stand etc so its a good idea to use the set ups they have and even better if they will let you tweak them a bit (move a tree over etc ). Hope you have a good hunt I think it says alot about an outfitter when the unsuccessful hunters at your place still give you a 5/5 !!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Normous wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:36 pm
The real answer is "you only live once".

DO IT!
I'd have to agree with Norm...You only live once. :thumbup:
Me and a buddy decided in 1989 to hunt Bighorns in Montana. We spent a month in the "back country". If I live to be a 100, I'll never forget that experience. It's something no one can take from you!
Go! Enjoy! Live!
Otherwise you'll always say..."I wish..."

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Well as it stands right now we are not going this fall. The Kid had his apprenticeship test set for the 27th of March, and it has officially been canceled. There is no indication as to when it will be rescheduled, and he cannot afford to play around. He's dedicated this year to get into an apprenticeship program, and I understand completely. It's not like we won't hunt white tails, and we have a good farm to hunt, so maybe we'll tag a booner, maybe not, but we'll have fun either way.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

xcaliber wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:32 pm
janesy wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:26 pm
xcaliber wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:33 pm
OK, although we hunt Indiana which has liberal deer hunting rules, and an abundance of licenses available to both residents, and non-residents, and we have private land most years to hunt, there is limited numbers of trophy bucks to hunt. Although we may get an opportunity at a nice one, the idea of expanding that opportunity is something that appeals to me as I get older, and the years I have left to do this are questionable with my conditions. That said, I have decided to pursue opportunities in another state. We decided Ohio for many reasons, but mainly the closeness to our home area just in case something goes bad with my health. To drill down further we have decide to try an outfitter and picked Brushy Fork Outfitters. I have not yet locked in, but might do so next week. I would opt for a guided hunt, and their success rate is 75% on bucks coming in over 140" and there is a penalty for shooting one smaller. There are doe opportunities also for those that don't want to go home empty handed. Of course I want to kill a big buck, but wish to have the Kid get one more than myself, but hope to double up. I can hunt with my Excalibur, so win, win!
I'm conflicted however. but getting closer to pulling the proverbial trigger on the opportunity. The owners have properties in three counties in central Ohio, and thousands of acres to hunt on. In a way I feel like it's cheating or making it too easy, on the other hand I'm thinking since it is fair chase hunting, but guided it's still legitimate hunting, and I still have to make the shot. I need a push in the positive direction to commit to this. Here are my points that persuade me in that direction.
1. Opportunity is high because of the management, and restriction on taking smaller bucks.
2. I'll hunt in my traditional fashions here in Indiana before, and after the trip.
3. I can afford to do it without taking monies from the family budget.
4. I'm not getting any younger. :roll:
5. I'm still using archery equipment.

Link: http://brushyforkoutfitters.com/

We're planning on the third week of October, or possibly the last week. Please let me know your thoughts, and if anyone hunts this area, or even better has any personal experience with this outfitter. I have spoken with two guys in charge of the operations in length, and they really seem legitimate.

Thanks folks in advance, anxious to read some input, even negative actually before I drop $$ on this idea. :eusa-popcorn:
[/quo

Your other son Dave :oops: :oops:
Thought a little harder about it. I don't think you should do it. Fact of the matter is that you don't know what the land is like. you haven't seen the accommodations. The food may be inedible. The guides could be complete mucktards. It might be too hard for you. It might be too easy for you. They may not even speak English.

So, because I'm a nice guy and just willing enough to throw myself on your perverbial grenade. Book the first trip ... and I'll go on your behalf and report back. With pics

Let me know, I'll start packing.
:lol: :lol:
Chris, funny you say that. The Kid has a job, but is taking a test in a few weeks to get into the pipe fitters apprenticeship program. If he gets in, which I'm pretty sure will happen, he may not be able to go. Deposits are non refundable, so if he can't go, it is transferable to another person with advance notice. :eusa-dance:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Dave, once we have some answers, we'll make up our minds. It sucks that the virus has pushed us around so much, but his plans trump mine.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Well, this post is the possible goods news. Kid got a letter from the Union about the apprenticeship test, delaying it of course and possibly until next spring. Once we know for sure, we might just book two hunts. :eusa-dance: I feel bad for the Kid though, he has to wait another year.