TURKEY HUNTING! It’s here New Brunswick

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stepnoutnb

TURKEY HUNTING! It’s here New Brunswick

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Earlier this year I posted about how nice it would be to be able to hunt wild turkeys in NB! Seems like we are going to have a hunt by draw this May.
I’ll have to check out the details. Naturally I have never hunted turkey and have NO SKILLS. I’ll have to check out the details and decide if I’ll apply for a tag.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/nb-first-turkey-hunt-may-1.5488360
Boo

Re: TURKEY HUNTING! It’s here New Brunswick

Post by Boo »

You'll be on a learning curve to be sure. The one thing I had trouble with is giving the birds enough respect for their ability to see movement. Have fun!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I would have to apply to say I was in on the first season as that doesn't happen too often. If its like it was here in Ontario it will take them a while to get used to being hunted by us and they should be real dumb lol It was fun for a while hunting birds that would gobble like crazy then fly down into the field right in front of you :wink:
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Is the draw a pay and take your chances? If you win you're going to have lots of fun :eusa-dance:
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

No information on the NB website yet. Just this announcement on the CBC from the Minister. The draw will be for 400 tags and no doubt cost a min of $9.00 to enter the lucky winners will then purchase a License. I'll update when I have more details. Not sure if one is required to put in for a particular zone.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Do you No Funswickians have to take a turkey course?
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Boo wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:32 pm
Do you No Funswickians have to take a turkey course?
Yes we NB hunters will have to take a course. They are expecting allot if they plan on hunting this May.
GETERDONE
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

What does wild turkey taste like? I've eaten wild ruffed grouse, pheasant, waterfowl, and spruce grouse of which I'll never do again lol. Is the meat a little tough with just a hint of wild taste, similar to comparing grouse to domestic chicken?

Wayne
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Boo wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:58 am
You'll be on a learning curve to be sure. The one thing I had trouble with is giving the birds enough respect for their ability to see movement. Have fun!
I'll be using a shotgun this might turn out to be ....................if drawn my one and only chance.
May is really busy. I have to open the fishing camp and I have family coming to fish last week of May. Trout season opens May 1. Oh where will I find the time.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Believe it or not, wild turkey tastes just like turkey :lol: :lol: :lol: Go figure!
Turkey hunting is far more important than a fish camp! Get your priorities straighten out mister! :eusa-naughty:
For sure use a shotgun, start with a bow as things get a little less challenging.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Turkey hunting is like a disease you don`t want . :D
I say don`t do it . It will consume your every thought on how to out smart a creature with the brain the size of a walnut . Obviously they use more of their brain than we do . Here is a bird that hear and see almost everything . Thank goodness they can`t smell .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

THIS ^^^^^^^
artifact

Post by artifact »

Their eyesight is at least as good as a deer, they see almost everything as already stated! If calling a Tom he knows EXACTLY where you are, sometime they come running in, sometime they come sneaking in, and sometime they wont come in at all!
Hope you draw a tag, you will have fun hunting them.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Stepnoutnb wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:05 am
Earlier this year I posted about how nice it would be to be able to hunt wild turkeys in NB! Seems like we are going to have a hunt by draw this May.
I’ll have to check out the details. Naturally I have never hunted turkey and have NO SKILLS. I’ll have to check out the details and decide if I’ll apply for a tag.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/nb-first-turkey-hunt-may-1.5488360
This is going to be my first ever turkey hunt end of April, can't wait! I have been reading & watching videos on calling, etc. Hope you go, and do well, good luck! :thumbup:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Stepnoutnb wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:30 pm
What does wild turkey taste like? I've eaten wild ruffed grouse, pheasant, waterfowl, and spruce grouse of which I'll never do again lol. Is the meat a little tough with just a hint of wild taste, similar to comparing grouse to domestic chicken?

Wayne
🦃
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme