C2 Crank Advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

C2 Crank Advice

Post by flightattendant100 »

Got a C2 crank so a friend of mine can start shooting a crossbow. He has some fairly severe neck problems and a rope cocker is not working for him. Well... I’ve seen some of you guys that use one of these do it like there was nothing to it. I on the other hand feel like I have 2 left hands! What am I doing wrong? Can anyone give me a crash course in C2? Thanks in advance.
xcaliber

Re: C2 Crank Advice

Post by xcaliber »

I know what you mean. Basically I am left hand dominant even though I’m right handed so I really feel like I’m putting shoes on a monkey. I hold the crank with my left onto the top of the bow to keep it from swaying around as I crank, also I put one hook at a time on the string and have it set short so I have to pull the string up to get the second hook on. I found that the Bigfoot stirrup helps as well. I don’t think I can do it with the dr. Stirrup. While cocking I listen for the trigger latch to click. It takes practice!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
flightattendant100

xcaliber wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:46 pm
I know what you mean. Basically I am left hand dominant even though I’m right handed so I really feel like I’m putting shoes on a monkey. I hold the crank with my left onto the top of the bow to keep it from swaying around as I crank, also I put one hook at a time on the string and have it set short so I have to pull the string up to get the second hook on. I found that the Bigfoot stirrup helps as well. I don’t think I can do it with the dr. Stirrup. While cocking I listen for the trigger latch to click. It takes practice!
Dan, I saw Danny Miller demonstrate one of these to somebody at Boofest one year. Ten seconds, promise, to slip it on the butt, tighten thumb screw, pull hooks down and latch string and cock!!! Jaw dropper! Guess I need to go to Sardis for a lesson.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Just practice, if I can do it anyone can. :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

Well...I guess I need to throw my 2 Cents in on this matter...
I own a C2. Have used it maybe 4-6 times when I had some neck issues.
Had a "hook" break in half just about the time the string passed the ADF... :wtf:
The ADF device worked like a charm. Bow wasn't damaged. Only my trousers!! :eusa-doh:

Looking at the "hook" you could plainly see air pockets that had formed in the metal while being molded, which led to the stress failure.
Excalibur DID... without hesitation, replace the bow string. The hooks on the crank. And a new string for the crank.
I haven't used it since. It's sitting in my desk in my office.

Was it Excal's fault the hook broke? Absolutely NOT!! :eusa-hand:
Just be mindful that any mechanical device can and will, at one point in time... fail.

I simply shortened the "rope cocker" to the point I have to pull up on my string in order to latch the hooks (about 2-3 inches). This made it much easier to pull cock the bow in my humble opinion!!
And that's pulling a Micro 355 AFTER 2 neck surgeries and a back surgery. And I'll be 62 years young next month. :wave:
It's my "work out" routine!! :lol:

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
flightattendant100

Anyone else?
Cardinalsfanforever

Post by Cardinalsfanforever »

I have one and have to use it on my matrix 380. shoulders are gone. Bought a charger crank for the micro, love it, Am looking at a better handle for the c2 crank. I had shoulder surgery last year and had to turn the bow around to crank with left hand. kinda awkward and backwards. just go slow and be mindful of what your doin.
matrix 380, 18" BEZS, Boostring
micro 315, 17" BE Execs. Vixenmaster
Axiom SMF, FIRE BOLTS Vixenmaster
Smong2000

C2 crank

Post by Smong2000 »

Hi Paul,
You are reacting exactly like I did when I first tried to use a crank, it feels really awkward. It was extra hard for me because I'm left handed. Just do it a few times and it gets easy. I got a Charger Ext to replace the C2 because it is ambidextrous and switching hands felt awkward too for a short time. Establish a routine and repeat it, I bet after you crank cock a dozen times, it will be second nature. :thumbup:
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

Coming in a little late to this discussion. When I bought my first Excal about 10 years ago....I was wondering how long I would be able to cock it without the crank. Last month, while practicing for an archery qualification, that time had come. Tendonitis or something in my elbow made it impossible for me to cock either my Exocet 200 or my Matrix 380. Bought a C2, and problem solved.

It took just a few shots to get the hang of it....I can be pretty quick. One of the guys on one of the Youtube videos leaves his C2 on when he shoots.....I don't do that.

It's a nice, well designed unit. I am not worried about the hooks because they are the same hooks as the rope cocker, and I have a few of them and have not had a problem (though the post above with the defective hook gives me pause). But I do worry about that thin string that the cocker uses....and it did take me a little while to get used to that unsettling "clunk" while cocking as the string settles into a second layer on the spools.

I like it.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Paul, I do believe it's just a matter of time and practice. I have one as a 'just in case' insurance policy. When I first tried it I thought I had 2 left hands but in pretty short order it was fine. Kind of like developing a routine for loading your bow with the rope cocker. Good luck pal. :thumbup:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
flightattendant100

Thanks all. I’ve been playing with it, and have improved quite a bit, but am still a little concerned about in the dark hunting. Thanks again
flightattendant100

I have much better luck on a table or shooting bench. Standing is a bit more complicated😳😁😁
Boo

Post by Boo »

Sitting is easier but after a while it will become second nature and using it in just about any position will seem easy enough.
Some advice, make sure that the hooks engage the string from underneath so that you can see that the hooks fully engage the string.
Use the anti-reverse when you can. If you screw up, it hurt more than just your self estee. Same goes for shooting the bow with the hooks still engaged. The screen ups have happened to more than a couple of guys here. I'm certainly a member of that club.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Boo wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:21 pm
Sitting is easier but after a while it will become second nature and using it in just about any position will seem easy enough.
Some advice, make sure that the hooks engage the string from underneath so that you can see that the hooks fully engage the string.
Use the anti-reverse when you can. If you screw up, it hurt more than just your self estee. Same goes for shooting the bow with the hooks still engaged. The screen ups have happened to more than a couple of guys here. I'm certainly a member of that club.
Don, I'm getting better. A little. :lol: :lol:
Forkston

Post by Forkston »

Try making the handle part you grab bigger, Shafferm made one for me and its like night and day, he had a photo of it posted at one time