What Turkey Call For A Beginner?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Stepnoutnb

What Turkey Call For A Beginner?

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Well I’m 62 looking at the first turkey season here in my life. What would be the easiest turkey call to start out with. I will add that I’m not too bad at calling geese, ducks, crows, deer and moose and Varmints. I’m by n means a competition type caller but I can hold my own.
I can use several short reed goose calls and most folks I hunt with do most of the waterfowl calling. Less calling is always more. :thumbup:
I’ve Ben watching instructional videos on YouTube and find the Primos videos quite informative regarding the diaphragm mouth calls. I’m this could handle those with some practice. Most of the instructions seemed very similar to short reed goose calling.
What would you folks suggest?
Thanks in advance.
Wayne
ihunt

Re: What Turkey Call For A Beginner?

Post by ihunt »

For me the easiest and most successful is the box call.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

x
Last edited by Timbrhuntr on Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
tcwild

Post by tcwild »

I'd start with a slate call and get a couple of different diaphrams, Walmart will soon be loaded with the things. After you figure out what your doing with the economy models ( which will all kill turkeys ) then you can move up a notch in the quality of calls. Some of the Knight and Hale mouth calls are quite good, it's just a matter of figuring out what you like.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Quaker boy grand ol master box call. Cheap ,easy to use and works pretty darn good . Its basically all l ever use.
Along with a push button when they get close.
I'm a gagger you can shove them unsanitary Corona spewing mouth callin things. Lol. I'm just jealous never could use one.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Listen to me very carefully!!

Buy a Primos Spring Hen push button call...

I can run any turkey call made, but I will not go into the turkey woods with out mine. It’s just plain deadly!!

It black plastic and looks cheap... but a lot of times it works when every other call gets no response.

Good luck!
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

flinthead wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:31 am
Listen to me very carefully!!

Buy a Primos Spring Hen push button call...

I can run any turkey call made, but I will not go into the turkey woods with out mine. It’s just plain deadly!!

It black plastic and looks cheap... but a lot of times it works when every other call gets no response.

Good luck!
Years ago, at our deer lease, opening weekend for spring turkey, one of my friends that had never hunted turkeys, shows up with a Primos Spring Hen call. We ALL made fun of him. Some of it pretty strong! Well, he killed more birds with that Spring Hen than anyone that used any other type of call. It seemed like almost every time he went out, he had Toms coming in. NEVER doubt the Spring Hen call. It may seem hokie, but works like a champ!
Also, same guy, is tight as Dicks hat band, so he brought his only shotgun. An Ithaca semi-auto 12 ga.
2 3/4”, SKEET choke. Spring Hen called birds in close enough it was fine choice.
Moral of the story is, you don’t have to have all the latest and greatest equipment that all the magazines tell you. Get out in the woods and have a great time. And take your Spring Hen!😁
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Thanks a bunch for all the responses. Much appreciated. I’m doing my research. This being the first season I can’t find local stores that carry Turkey hunting equipment. We do have a Bass Pro 1 1/2 hour away. They likely don’t carry anything as there has been no demand for it.
Likely going to have to MAIL ORDER.
Wayne
artifact

Post by artifact »

I'm a fan of the box call also, having said that, they all work, just what you are comfortable with. One advantage to a mouth call is no movement, sometime I am calling with a double sided box call (2 different tones) and a mouth call at the same time. I sometime use a wing bone caller if later in the season, totally different sound for pressured birds. Listen to what others are telling you also, sometimes just the simple cluck or clucks is all that's needed to bring old longboard into range.
I don't consider myself a good caller, but somehow manage to call gobblers in.
I'll relate this story to you, take it for what it's worth!
I was sitting just off the edge of a field when I heard what sounded like the worse out of tune call there could possibly be moving across the field.
Thought to myself, there's some moron walking across the field yelping and clucking trying to get a gobbler to respond. Pretty soon here comes a hen, it was her making the sounds!
Two different people have recommended the Primos spring hen pushbutton call, I don't own a pushbutton call but may just add one of them to the arsenal this year, see, I don't just give advice, I also take it! :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

You won't find a better call than the Do-Ral Turkey Call. Easy to use with a short learning curve, small, loud and one hand use.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Simplest call has to be a push button . Any noise out of it is Turkey . You can still overcall !! But at least it sounds like a turkey .
Next advice if using a hand operated call is a turkey does not have the lung capacity of a elephant . ie they have to breathe sometime . :)
I have heard some people go on for 5 minutes plus . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
janesy

Post by janesy »

Boo wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:38 pm
You won't find a better call than the Do-Ral Turkey Call. Easy to use with a short learning curve, small, loud and one hand use.
Never seen that before, looks cool
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

janesy wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:42 am
Boo wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:38 pm
Never seen that before, looks cool
X2 never seen one either
I liked the mouth call once I could make it work as it’s hands free
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Stepnoutnb

Post by Stepnoutnb »

Thanks everyone.
I’ve ordered the primos 209 Bomshell and the Primos Mastering the art of calling 3 set of diaphragm calls. I will likely pick up a slate call to play with as well.
Thinking these will be a good start for a beginner. Realizing I might not even be one of the first 400 licenses. Heck I might be dead before I get a license lol.
My wife thinks I’m a crazy old man. I’ve been in the yard, garage, truck, basement at the camp and while fishing practicing deer, goose, duck, moose, crow and coyote calling my whole life.......let’s add turkey. Momma just rolls her eyes.
Wayne
Normous

Post by Normous »

Wayne, if you really want her to roll her eyes just record your answering machine greeting with 20 seconds of turkey calling.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family